4 or 5 hours a sleep a night

You can always catch up on sleep during the day. If you're getting 5 hours of sleep a night, try and take an hour nap sometime in the day. Your body keeps tabs on the amount of sleep you've gotten and it's possible to catch up on that eventually :) Or so I've read :)

Don't listen to (most) of these people. They're telling your hourly recomendations based on old-wives tales and rumors. It's really simple how much sleep you need. Just follow what your body tells you.

The people in here saying you need 8-10 plus hours of sleep do not have a clue what they are talking about tbh.

Do a bit of research on google.

There is a mass of information on the subject.

You basically need as much as your body tells you you do.

None of the sleep scientists even know where they 8 hours thing came from.

Some people get by on 3, some might need 9.

And catching up on sleep is impossible.

You catch up on a 3rd or something like that if you miss any.

Again, have a look about google, and make sure you're reading from somebody who knows what they're talking about.

I just can't seem to "switch off" sometimes.

Even when I go to bed, theres so much stuff going through my head it just overrides how tired I am.

Sucks :(

I get this way from time to time and my only answer to it is to find some quiet, soothing music. The best I found is Fumio: Music for Sleep. This album works great when I can't find the off button. But usually I have no problems going to sleep. My wife tells me I am usually asleep within 5-10 min of my head hitting the pillow. :)

Fumio

you are correct. Random Eye Movement, sleep. REM.

It would be good for you to get 8 hours. 4 to 5 is not that great for you. REM Sleep takes ~3 hours to get into sometimes, so you basically arnt getting it much at all. Which is the true deep sleep that you need.

First "RAM sleep" then "random eye movement..." Where does it end?

REM stands for Rapid Eye Movement. It is the phase of normal sleep where you are most likely to have dreams. It is not the deepest phase by any stretch. In fact, your brain is quite active while in REM sleep.

everyone is different. some people can do with 4-5-6 hours, and some people need 8-10 hours of sleep a night. i suggest you drink a lot of coffee or coke before going to sleep.

just joking.. you should work out, maybe do a run around the block.. or do some pushups and sit ups before you plan on going to bed.

i do pushups and situps just before i go to sleep.. and it knocks me out like you wouldn't believe :p i use to go to bed at 10.. and not fall asleep till 12. blast my tv in my room! so i took it out :p now i fall asleep so much faster.

I get 6 to 7 hours of sleep and i am always feeling tired and sleepy. I don't know why.

But there are times when i only sleep for like an hour and i feel way better than ever. (just yesterday, i felt that)

Well it depends. If you are feeling okay and have energy during the day, you're fine. Some people don't need a full 8-9 hours of sleep.

The major effects of sleep deprivation are sleepiness and a general malaise. other effects include impaired creativity, concentration, and communication; irritability; and slowed performance. Sleep deprivation can also supress the fuctioning of the immune system making people more susceptible to infections and alter metabolic and hormonal fuctionning in many ways that mimic aging and are conducive to obesity, hypertension, and memory impairment.

Varies person to person. Some only need 6 hours. You can go to a therapist who will monitor you while you sleep to determine exactly how much you need. The general consensus is that 8 hours is an average parameter to avoid deprivation.

everyone is different. some people can do with 4-5-6 hours, and some people need 8-10 hours of sleep a night. i suggest you drink a lot of coffee or coke before going to sleep.

just joking.. you should work out, maybe do a run around the block.. or do some pushups and sit ups before you plan on going to bed.

i do pushups and situps just before i go to sleep.. and it knocks me out like you wouldn't believe :p i use to go to bed at 10.. and not fall asleep till 12. blast my tv in my room! so i took it out :p now i fall asleep so much faster.

They say you should exercise in the morning. I don't care though, sounds like a good idea to me!

well i am 14 and i know i have bad sleeping habits. i get only 5-6 hours of sleep each night on weekdays and about 8-9 on weekends. i feel fine during the weekdays. just really really sleepy in the morning.

Yes, it is bad for you. Your body needs at least 8 hours to regen. Those mighty mitochondria need rest to produce the energy you are going to expend. I used to go on 2-3 hours a night but I was working out 6 days a week and had a steady schedule. On the topic of working out... If you are weight training you need 9-10 hours to repair what you break down. Get off Neowin and go to sleep.

How old are you? Just for your information, if you are between the age of 14 to 20. you need at least 9 and a half hour of sleep to be healthy.

Its important to get "RAM" Sleep, and only 9 and a half hour (or more) provide enough time for RAM sleep to be effective and helpful...

no thats not good at all.

Your body will tell you when your getting egnouf sleep and when your not. Dont as us if this is egnouf, think about it and think about what your body wants, its preaty good at that.

Bad for you, on average a human should get 8 - 10 hours of sleep. Ideally, your body should wake up by itself but that's basically impossible. If you get in the habit, your body will probably not wake up after the "correct" amount of sleep time. You gotta force yourself until you are back on track ;) The sleep you lose you can never gain back.

You, my friends, are wrong. As people have been saying, it is specific to that person. For me, I am not capable of sleeping more than 6-7 hours a night MAX. I tried going to bed earlier for like a month, and my body just couldn't do it. So to the original poster, like many before me said-if you feel fine-don't sweat it.

I agree, i've tried going a month or so ONLY sleeping 4 hours tops, just to prove myself how much sleep I really needed and Although I didn't feel tired. I feel a whole lot better when sleeping 6+.

My next try is : Polyphasic Sleep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

Depends on the person, I get between 3-5 hours of sleep a night, and have done so for a long time, and so do a number of other people in my family. If you wake up naturally (i.e. there are no medical reaons why you wake up/can't get to sleep, like sleep apnea or insomnia) then you're getting enough.

It's really funny. I used to get SO much sleep, goto bed at 9PM, wake up at 6:30. Then i got a computer in my room, started going to sleep at 11. Woke up at 6:30. Now that's week days. Now for the weekends, i'd goto sleep at around 4-6AM, sleep till 3-5PM, that was when i was prolly 13-15. Im now sixteen, i goto bed at around 11, or 10:30. and wake up around 6:30ish. And weekends i goto sleep anywhere from 3-7AM deppending if im out with friends, ect. But no matter what, i can never sleep past 11AM, idk if it has todo with the fact that im not growing at this present moment, or it's just like that. It seems to have started right after i got my back surgery, around 7-8 weeks ago.

the idea that you need x hours of sleep every night is crap. your body can adjust to anything. i normally sleep 5 hours a day. it sucked so bad in the beginning but now its fine. my body just learned to compensate for lost time.

however if this is just a short term thing then it's going to suck and probably be unhealthy. your immune system gets weakened, metabolism slows down and you just feel terrible from being so sleepy

You, my friends, are wrong. As people have been saying, it is specific to that person. For me, I am not capable of sleeping more than 6-7 hours a night MAX. I tried going to bed earlier for like a month, and my body just couldn't do it. So to the original poster, like many before me said-if you feel fine-don't sweat it.

you sem to forget thta noone is talking to you. You are you and this is a general forum. HUMANS need 8-10 hours of sleep. If you care to argue that, I'm sure the data leans my way.

There was research (involving over 35,000 people and carried out over many years) that suggested too much sleep (9hrs+) was detrimental to health, as well as anything under 4hrs. I wouldn't worry about only getting 4-5 hours sleep, as long as there are days in the week when you can sleep for a good 8 hours to make up for it... I personally tend to be a bit negative in my outlook if I go for long periods (weeks) with only 4-5 hours sleep.

you sem to forget thta noone is talking to you. You are you and this is a general forum. HUMANS need 8-10 hours of sleep. If you care to argue that, I'm sure the data leans my way.

we need 8-10 huh?

well i dont sleep 8-10 hours a day. does that mean i'm going to die?

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I guess it would really depend on the type of person. For me, I try to get between 6-8 hours of sleep every night on average.