Apple Special Event Today..

Does the new mini do the graphics that were missing from the previous model? (Ex. when you add something to the dashboard the ripple effect) Or if that question can't be answered yet is the graphic card at least better?

I'd like to know that as well

lol calm down people, its not THAT bad. I think we cant really judge the speakers till we heard them for ourselves, they look alrite, not great IMO. I want a picture of these cases, sound pretty awful at $99(!!!). But the new Mac Mini looks excellent, really looking forward to giving that a try! Mite have to ditch my PPC mac mini! Not a wonderful presentation but certainly not bad.

Yup I agree too, maybe they'll invest the extra income to make the iPod more scratch resilient. :rolleyes:

You mean improve the inadequacies of their existing product? Are you mad? Much better to sell a product to compensate for inadequacies... :no:

Does the new mini do the graphics that were missing from the previous model? (Ex. when you add something to the dashboard the ripple effect) Or if that question can't be answered yet is the graphic card at least better?

http://www.apple.com/macmini/intelcore.html - bottom right corner.

Radish?

mmstep1bullets0602284un.gif

15ghzsolo0602286ti.gif

$599.00

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

60GB Serial ATA hard drive

Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

166ghzduo0602282pz.gif

$799.00

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

80GB Serial ATA hard drive

Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW)

Apple Remote

mmstep1hero0602284un.jpg

mmstep1bullets0602284un.gif

15ghzsolo0602286ti.gif

$599.00

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

60GB Serial ATA hard drive

Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Apple Remote

166ghzduo0602282pz.gif

$799.00

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

80GB Serial ATA hard drive

Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW)

Apple Remote

mmstep1hero0602284un.jpg

Onboard Intel GMA950!!!???

http://www.apple.com/macmini/intelcore.html - bottom right corner.

Radish™

thanks didn't catch that.. that's good to know, but i don't think i'm willing to fork over 799 for a mini......I currently have the 1.42 $599 previous model with some upgrades and that seems a little pricey.. I think I will end up getting an imac or macbook pro in the near future depending on my needs.

Man o man.

I'm very glad for the switch from ppc to intel. It's certainly made a different with regards to speed, etc... This whole presentation was a huge let down in my opinion. I'm sure they will release something new and fresh sometime this year but this was just a yawn and nothing more. Here I was expecting a sweet 4" full blown ipod video with touch interface and nothing. :( Hopefully they will launch this or a tablet sometime within a year as I am sure they are working on the back-end and setting up shop and contracts with TV execs in order to properly sell the product with the device. These guys are good at this, case and point the iTunes store. I'm sure once the ink is dry and the contracts are finished then the real ipod video and (crosses fingers) tablet will be released.

Until then, I guess I'll just sit it out as this is nothing new and Media Center (even with the zillion buttons on the remote, like any remote out there) does the trick for me anyways.

Here's to looking at touching in the future.

Cheers!

The only thing that bothers me...

Memory available to Mac OS X may vary depending on graphics needs. Minimum graphics memory usage is 80MB, resulting in 432MB of system memory available.

anyone else notice the mini has 2 memory slots

Did the last one have 2 as well? or 4? I noticed this one has 4 usb instead of 2 like the old one, which is handy.

Also can someone knowledgeable tell me why this graphics card here is worse than the old mini's? Or is it about the same?

Hmm, so I'm trying to understand the SPEC performance: figures. So the new Mac Mini is atleast faster then the G5 iMac now?

I'd like to try out a Mac, as long as its not so slow, it takes a while to do tasks.

Did the last one have 2 as well? or 4? I noticed this one has 4 usb instead of 2 like the old one, which is handy.

Also can someone knowledgeable tell me why this graphics card here is worse than the old mini's? Or is it about the same?

Is it worse? I thought the old mini had 32 megabyte Video memory?

processor wise, but once again, not 64bit, cant compare gfx, since the g5 is alot better in that area, so it can take advantage of coreimage. Onboard gfx for leopard :/ i can see Leopard taking much more advantage of 64bit...i would still choose my iMac over it.

Wow, I didn't read what else was said in this thread, but this was a pathetic announcement. The Mini is basically a piece of junk. If mom and dad need a computer I guess it works, but it has no power at all in it. It can't even play HD with that video card. The cases are ridiculous. I put an invisible shield on my iPod and it looks better, for a fraction of the price, and doesn't have a single scratch on it (5g black). And the "iPod Hifi" is ridiculous. First off, it's ugly, second, it CAN'T be as good as they say if it can run of damned batteries. I know my computer speakers would drain 20 D batteries in 5 minutes, if they even lasted that long. And it costs more than an iPod itself!! I have a home stereo to be a home stereo, and an iPod to be portable. I don't need my iPod to be a home stereo too.

Okay, I'm done, that's just my thoughts on the whole thing. The new mini isn't worth it's cost, the iPod cases are too expensive, and the Hifi will flop.