Zogby Poll: 72% Soldiers want end to war in 2006

U.S. Troops in Iraq: 72% Say End War in 2006

* Le Moyne College/Zogby Poll shows just one in five troops want to heed Bush call to stay ?as long as they are needed?

* While 58% say mission is clear, 42% say U.S. role is hazy

* Plurality believes Iraqi insurgents are mostly homegrown

* Almost 90% think war is retaliation for Saddam?s role in 9/11, most don?t blame Iraqi public for insurgent attacks

* Majority of troops oppose use of harsh prisoner interrogation

* Plurality of troops pleased with their armor and equipment

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

If you were shot at everyday in a complete desertic hole with massive heat during the day and cold during the night you'd eventually want to go home too no matter your political opinions ;)

yep!

Who want fight for no reasons ?

Specially, when you're sure that you're on wrong side !!!

Because many of them

1. Have reasons.

2. Are not on the "wrong side."

Just because *you* believe they're on the wrong side doesn't mean they think they are. Try to remember that your opinions are subjective.

Because many of them

1. Have reasons.

2. Are not on the "wrong side."

Just because *you* believe they're on the wrong side doesn't mean they think they are. Try to remember that your opinions are subjective.

you're right!

Thats the one reason from many other reasons!

who knows ?

Hey, when I was stationed 30km from home I wanted out too! and I wasn't fighting anyone

on the other end, guarding the border was much more satisfying for me

How can we exit within a year?

It is impossible, the Iraqi's wouldn't be able to control the terrorists on their own. They would have a civil war and would end up much like Afghanistan was before we invaded it.

I'm not saying that we should have went in there in the first place but now that we are we can't just leave. We have a responsibility to the citizens of Iraq to stay the course and see to it that they don't replace one dicatator for another.

Yes this has been in the headlines for the last couple of days

The US is in a deep pile of ****, they simply can't pull out because like VaLUnTriAn said there will most definately be a civil war which will turn Iraq into a bigger hell-hole than what it already is, and at the same time they are finding it almost impossible to pull the country together.

There is also pressure on the US oil rich countries like Saudi Arabia due to the fear that this violence may cross Iraqi borders into into their land and stirr up the whole region with violence and hence threaten the world's no.1 oil supply.

The truth of the matter is president Bush (or whoever is really pulling the strings up in that place they call the whitehouse) severely miscalculated when he decided to give the go ahead for the illeagal invasion of Iraq and its quite sad that these troops who in most cases know or care very little about politics are the ones who have to suffer the most and are brainwashed into thinking that they are doing some humanitarian thing like ridding the world of terrorism. while in the midst of all this Iraq is slowly becoming far worse than what it was under Saddams regime and more and more lives are being lost every single hour.

yep!

Who want fight for no reasons ?

Specially, when you're sure that you're on wrong side !!!

And just whose side our you on.....bin laden, Saddam, or the f**king suicide bombers

And just whose side our you on.....bin laden, Saddam, or the f**king suicide bombers

Stop trying to point the finger when there's no finger to point.

I'm sure he's not a communist and the red scare is over. And I highly doubt he's about to argue that the U.S. should be destroyed.

I always found it funny that the most patriotic people typically encroach on our freedoms the most and insist that we should act a certain way.

85% thought it was retaliation for saddam's role in 9/11? either these people are seriously misled or they are seriously unwilling to face the facts and accept a truth that is difficult to believe.

Oh you poor misguided fellow....

Obviously, here, disagreeing is unpatriotic, and can only mean you support terrorists, suicide bombers and liberals (and all the bad things in the world too...).

Most soldiers want to go home, based on the simple fact that they dont want to get killed. Add in famillys and personal lives, and there it is easy to see why they would want to.

Whether they agree with the mission they are on or not, they will do thier jobs, and whether I agree with the war or not, I will support our troops, untill they are all home.

I dont HAVE to agree with our president (Meester Shrub) or his policys, nor do I have to agree with his war. If that makes me a supporter of terrorists, Saddam, or suicide bombers....well damn....I didnt know having the freedome to make up my own mind on these things, to disagree, and to argue against them, would do this, but hell, it shouldnt surprise me to much. If you cant argue with someone, call them a traitor and a terrorist supporter, and its a instant "Win!" with the hardcore supporters, eh?

Amazing what you can learn from one ignorant statement!

85% thought it was retaliation for saddam's role in 9/11? either these people are seriously misled or they are seriously unwilling to face the facts and accept a truth that is difficult to believe.

exactly

I think the poll was questioning whether believe that the war was initiated in retaliation for 9/11. Not whether they fight it because they think it's retaliation for 9/11.

I think the poll was questioning whether believe that the war was initiated in retaliation for 9/11. Not whether they fight it because they think it's retaliation for 9/11.

in other words, the difference between the war ACTUALLY being retaliation for saddam's involvement in 9/11 and the propagandized justification by the administration? possibly.

it's somewhat ambiguous here:

While 85% said the U.S. mission is mainly ?to retaliate for Saddam?s role in the 9-11 attacks"

i don't know if that is their own opinion or simply what the mission has been justified as being, which do not necessarily coincide. now that i'm reading it again, it could mean that the troops are disillusioned at this development, although it's not clear.