New 'furry lobster' discovered

PARIS, France (AP) -- Divers have discovered a new crustacean in the South Pacific that resembles a lobster and is covered with what looks like silky, blond fur, French researchers said Tuesday.

Scientists said the animal, which they named Kiwa hirsuta, was so distinct from other species that they created a new family and genus for it.

A team of American-led divers found the animal in waters 2,300 meters (7,540 feet) deep at a site 1,500 kilometers (900 miles) south of Easter Island last year, according to Michel Segonzac of the French Institute for Sea Exploration.

The new crustacean is described in the journal of the National Museum of Natural History in Paris.

The animal is white and 15 centimeters (5.9 inches) long -- about the size of a salad plate.

In what Segonzac described as a "surprising characteristic," the animal's pincers are covered with sinuous, hair-like strands.

It's also blind. The researchers found it had only "the vestige of a membrane" in place of eyes, Segonzac said.

The researchers said that while legions of new ocean species are discovered each year, it is quite rare to find one that merits a new family.

The family was named Kiwaida, from Kiwa, the goddess of crustaceans in Polynesian mythology.

post-37120-1141835699.jpg

source

OMG A HAIRY HEADCRAB!!!!

:p seriously cool! used to living at that depth, did it even survive being brought up?

I hope not, would be a rather pathetic death. Survive a 2,300 metre ascent and be taken out of your natural environment, and have a pin stuck through your brain or something, just so people could stare at your corpse and go "EWWWW GROSSSS."

^ You won't find it so cuddly when it cuts out your fingers.

It sure is a bizarre animal.

The family was named Kiwaida, from Kiwa, the goddess of crustaceans in Polynesian mythology.

An 'hairy' goddess too? poke.gif

I hope not, would be a rather pathetic death. Survive a 2,300 metre ascent and be taken out of your natural environment, and have a pin stuck through your brain or something, just so people could stare at your corpse and go "EWWWW GROSSSS."

It's a problem always faced by scientific crews - they'd pick up samples, take them to sea level and the things would literally explode because of the massive drop in pressure. Another problem is that all species found down there appeared to be blind, however this could have been due to the submarines' lamps destroying their eyes...

It's a problem always faced by scientific crews - they'd pick up samples, take them to sea level and the things would literally explode because of the massive drop in pressure. Another problem is that all species found down there appeared to be blind, however this could have been due to the submarines' lamps destroying their eyes...

Most of these deep sea exploration has special containers to bring speciman up to surface levels.

Gee, thanks for giving my nightmares. That thing is seriously ugly!

beware, it sneaks upon you while you're asleep and tickles your brain :| :laugh:

This reminds me of that scene in 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' (I think it's called Pacte des Loups in French) where the naturalist convinces the room that he found a furry trout in the St. Lawrence.