Can u recommend a harddisk based digital camera

guys i'm looking for a digital camera which should have following specs

harddisk based storage ( it should be upgradable)

image stablizer

5x or higher optical zoom( digital zoom should be turned off)

5 megapixels CCD (don't need more than that)

at the movement i dont have any digital camera and i'm not able to find a manufacturer which fits the above specs. so kindly will someone please suggest a camera which meets the following specs it should not be too expensive. i'm not intrested in camcorder.

Edited by randeepsamra

I don't think there are any cameras with a built-in hard disk. If there are any, it's probably a huge monster of a camera... unless you're talking about microdrives? :/

i thought there must be some out there i mean hard disks are gettin smaller and the card are not really big in capacity. are u sure there is not a single company that makes an harddisk camera

i thought the specs that i mentioned above were very resonable. if phones can come with harddisk than why not camera. i think this is very much doable.

plus i think digital zoom is totally over rated and the feature should not be in the camera

you dont need the not yet existing hdd-digital cameras. ;) you can buy microdrives (very small hdds, so to say) with up to 8gb, which is more than enough!

the reason why they dont put hdds into their cameras is the following:

firstly, the "lifestyle" cameras would get too bulky if you dont use sd or something. the second thing is, that 20 or even 60 gb hdds like ipod are pretty huge. the smaller ones like in the ipod mini back in 2004 are those microdrives in a way. and because many professional photographers have serveral microdrives (more space, "one for people, one for landscapes" (on a trip or something) which must be changeble, so hdds are not good for "lifestyle" and for "pro". those bridge-cameras will have integrated microdrives (4 and 8gb) soon, read it somewhere, i think panasonic is working on that for their next lumix slr-like series, but i have no source.

excuse my bad english, im better @ talking actually, but i hope you get what i say?

anyways, for you id reccomend the lumix-panasonic-ones or fuji. maybe even canon but since im not that much into those "mainstream"-cams wait for someone who knows it better.

i could reccomend you some dslrs. ;)

i thought the specs that i mentioned above were very resonable. if phones can come with harddisk than why not camera. i think this is very much doable.

plus i think digital zoom is totally over rated and the feature should not be in the camera

What phone comes with an internal hard disk? :blink:

If that's the type "hard drive" the original poster is looking for in a camera, then the Canon 1Ds, 10D, and S50 will fit the bill. Too bad he said he doesn't want anything expensive.

Just get a camera with a 1GB card and be done with it. A 1GB card on a 5MP camera should store around 400-500 high res images. Do you need to take more than that on a single card? Also, flash memory will take shock better than the microdrives. They do actually have moving parts insode while flash memory have none.

Just something to think about.

If you want a camera with a harddrive, grab a Canon Digital Rebel, an iPod Mini if you can find one, tear the iPod min apart, steal its harddrive, put that in the Digital rebel, and you are set!

I don't know of any that do, and I don't see why you would. I'd think HDDs are a lot more prone to failure especially in something like a camera which can be dropped easily and what not. 2GB CF cards aren't much more than 100 bucks, and the 1GB ones are like 60 or 70 I think now, so just get a decent camera and buy some flash memory for it.

^That's just a microdrive... which is much cheaper to buy separately...

HDs in cameras don't make much sense. The superior speed, size and freedom of using CF/SD beats building in a HD drive (somehow) into already cramped cameras.