Mars Question

With the high quality pics from the mars rovers, and the new satelite going into orbit that aloows data to be sent back ten times as fast, how come we never see any video?

Cant someone stick a video camera on one of these things?

:huh: There was a live cam on the 1976 lander at least. They probably would need a dedicated orbiting satellite to relay good images. NASA probably thinks it would not be worth having live images, or it would be too expensive.

OK, but compared to the millions of dollars it takes to build the rovers, why not throw on a camera, and when the transmission speed is good enough, use it. It seems like a small expense to me.

A video camera can never be as high resolution as an optical camera - and as a consequence is unlikely to convey as much information.

Other experiments are much more valuable - and a video camera would just use up space that could be used to perform much more important tasks. Beyond some momentary entertainment for the masses, its actual mission value would be negligible.

GJ

Not when you would be able to see the water spitting up out of the mud.

lol

Come one, you can't tell me it would be awesome, to see a video of those rovers driving around. I think they only move them an inch a minute or something though, so maybe not.

It wouldn't exactly be action packed.

And like I said, it might be awesome for you, but a video camera would take up valuable weight and space that could be used for a much more important experiment.

GJ