PS3 will have hard drive as standard

Really? I was thinking the exact opposite:

1) They'll enter the market with huge hardware shortages during a holiday season when the 360 will be in plentiful supply, with a vast library of games to back it up. They've announced plans to ship fewer PS3s worldwide in 2006 than Microsoft shipped 360s in 2005.

2) Their online service will be starting from scratch, and probably riddled with problems (Play Online anyone?)

3) They'll never be able to even remotely compare with the Revolution or 360 on price. They'll never be able to cost-reduce the PS3, encountering the same barrier that the current Xbox has hit largely because of the HDD requirement.

4) When they do deliver the PS3, they'll have a very limited selection of rushed games that won't look next-gen. Especially compared to the then-mature Xbox 360 library of games that are better tuned (on superior hardware).

The likely $500+ price tag is the only thing that could possibly keep their supplies in-line (if no one wants it, there won't be any shortages).

Basically, Sony is ****ed.

They are some very good points there Brandon. :yes: on topic though i must admit a 60Gb HDD as standard is pretty sweet, but it just proves further that the PS3 is going to cost S!*@ loads.

1) They'll enter the market with huge hardware shortages during a holiday season when the 360 will be in plentiful supply, with a vast library of games to back it up. They've announced plans to ship fewer PS3s worldwide in 2006 than Microsoft shipped 360s in 2005.
So how bout all those consoles MS promised to ship by February? Or the 3 million prediction at the end of 2005? And now the 10 million by the time the PS3 comes out? It's funny how they are struggling to even break 2 million let alone sell 10 million.
2) Their online service will be starting from scratch, and probably riddled with problems (Play Online anyone?)
Yeah Play Online, SquareSoft's online system. I don't see how that applies to Sony. You would think that Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) who runs EverQuest, PlanetSide, and Star Wars Galaxies would have a little experience. Not to mention the fact that PS2 did have games online. If it turns out allowing people to play games online for free, who even cares what bugs there? They'll be too busy laughing at the suckers who pay a yearly fee for a service that still is buggy.
4) When they do deliver the PS3, they'll have a very limited selection of rushed games that won't look next-gen. Especially compared to the then-mature Xbox 360 library of games that are better tuned (on superior hardware).
Considering developers (specifically Sony's inhouse) have had developer kits since a few months after the E3 last year and they will have more time with the final kits then developers had with the Xbox360 final I highly doubt that. Nice try though.
Basically, Sony is ****ed.
:laugh: Your blind love for MS is hilarious. The PS3 launch is going to turn out as funny as when you were telling everyone Ridge Racer 6 and Dead or Alive were going to be killer apps in Japan and that Kameo is on the same level as Zelda. Your spin on things prove you are the Peter Moore of Neowin. Edited by jmole

They are some very good points there Brandon. :yes: on topic though i must admit a 60Gb HDD as standard is pretty sweet, but it just proves further that the PS3 is going to cost S!*@ loads.

No doubt about it. I wish my 360 had a 60GB (or larger) drive. I wish it had HD-DVD (without sacrificing read speed).

And maybe I would've even paid $500 or more for it. But I am so very much not the average consumer.

I think the PS3 will succeed in Japan. I have a feeling the Nintendo Revolution might really do a number on Sony's sales there, though - if Nintendo executes well. I think Sony is setting themselves up to be in a world of hurt with the PS3 in the US and Europe.

So how bout all those consoles MS promised to ship by February?

Huh? MS has been shipping consoles weekly since November. Sony's announcement says 6 million consoles worldwide by March 7th, 2007. That's about the same that Microsoft estimated in the 360's first several months. They fell short, and I bet Sony will too.

Even if they do deliver the suggested 1-2 million consoles by the end of 2006, how many do you think will make it to the US and Europe? If Sony can only sell ~500,000 PS3s in the US by the end of the holiday season, how many 360s do you think will be sold in that same timeframe given the time that Microsoft will have to ramp up supply?

Yeah Play Online, SquareSoft's online system.

Sorry, I meant "The Station" or whatever that god-awful system is called.

Considering developers have had developer kits since a few months after the E3 last year and they will have more time with the final kits then developers had with the Xbox360 final I highly doubt that. Nice try though.

They're expected to have more time with the final dev kits, but far less time since the initial kits. Also keep in mind that developing a PS3 game is quite different than developing an Xbox 360 game.

And that's only half of the point. It doesn't matter if they have dev kits now or in June or in August. The first round of games isn't going to blow anyone away. They'll be lucky if they look as good as the 360's launch games. By then, development on the 360 will have matured significantly (in fact it's already doing so), and it will make the PS3 look weaker than it actually is, at a critical time for Sony.

:laugh: Your blind love for MS is hilarious.

If you're going to play the "fanboy" card, maybe you should read the forum rules first. Besides, your post seems entirely one-sided. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

The PS3 launch is going to turn out as funny as when you were telling everyone Ridge Racer 6 and Dead or Alive were going to be killer apps in Japan

I never said any such thing

and that Kameo is on the same level as Zelda. Your spin on things prove you are the Peter Moore of Neowin.

Yeah, whatever jmole.

Edited by Brandon Live

So how bout all those consoles MS promised to ship by February?

Yeah Play Online, SquareSoft's online system. I don't see how that applies to Sony. You would think that Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) who runs EverQuest, PlanetSide, and Star Wars Galaxies would have a little experience. Not to mention the fact that PS2 games were online, they just didn' have a central service. If it turns out allowing people to play games online for free, who even cares what bugs there? They'll be too busy laughing at the suckers who pay a yearly fee for a service that still is buggy.

Considering developers (specifically Sony's inhouse) have had developer kits since a few months after the E3 last year and they will have more time with the final kits then developers had with the Xbox360 final I highly doubt that. Nice try though.

:laugh: Your blind love for MS is hilarious. The PS3 launch is going to turn out as funny as when you were telling everyone Ridge Racer 6 and Dead or Alive were going to be killer apps in Japan and that Kameo is on the same level as Zelda. Your spin on things prove you are the Peter Moore of Neowin.

I couldn't agree more - not only with the bolded part, but with everything. People need to just respect all thee players on the market and don't consequently say the one is better then the other... so what if it's going to cost more, so what if there are shortages... it's not like other systems are perfect? Maybe they excel in that one particular are, but they might suck more in another.

Anyways, this is all good news if Sony is able to pull this all off like they're saying. I'd love to have a nice big HD for all stuff out of the box ^^

edit; Brandon, you're not the usual fanboy - you sure know you're stuff I'm not saying that if you want to quote me on something implying that - however, whenever you say that someone is portaying the PS3 fron a one-sided way, I can say the same thing to you - same goes for the xbox360.

Also - Sony does not HAVE a centralized online system, so don't blame sony for the systems different developers make. You should have known that.

PlayStation Network Interface is being developed by Sony Online Entertainment. hmm.. Who they are? The same guys from Everuqest, the most played MMORPG of the world.

Station.com website is sufficient to shut up many mouths here.

The same guys from Everuqest, the most played MMORPG of the world.

Excuse my stupidity, but me, I've always hated MMORPGs anyways. But er yea, isn't WoW the "top" MMORPG at this point? I thought Everquest's following was dwindling down :blink: (At least show me numbers :s)

Lets face it, Microsoft will lose this generation but I don't think Sony can keep it up. After all the waiting and delaying they do by next-(next) generation. Microsoft's Xbox brand will be as famous as the Playstation brand.

Then the real war is gonna start.

Even if they do deliver the suggested 1-2 million consoles by the end of 2006, how many do you think will make it to the US and Europe? If Sony can only sell ~500,000 PS3s in the US by the end of the holiday season, how many 360s do you think will be sold in that same timeframe given the time that Microsoft will have to ramp up supply?
If Sony can ramp up development to 1 million a month like they claim, that lead is going to be nothing. The Xbox360 is barely under 2 million at this point, it is just pathetic and even the PS2 is outselling the Xbox360 at this time. Your expecting it to beat the next generation of Playstation when the Xbox360 can't even outsell the current generation during its launch window.
The first round of games isn't going to blow anyone away. They'll be lucky if they look as good as the 360's launch games.
Yeah I know, games like Tony Hawk, Gun, and Tiger Woods are such a hard act to follow.
By then, development on the 360 will have matured significantly (in fact it's already doing so), and it will make the PS3 look weaker than it actually is, at a critical time for Sony.
Yea I see the graphical advantage the original Xbox had over the PS2 helped it sell and how it helps sells more multiplatform games then the PS2. Edited by jmole

Yea I see the graphical advantage the original Xbox had over the PS2 sure helped it sell and how it helps sells more multiplatform games then the PS2.

I agree on that last statement. The only reason Microsoft sold units up until now is because of:

1) better graphics

2) better online service

3) Halo.

Halo can still be used as a tramp card by Microsoft to weaken the PS3 launch if done right.

If Sony can ramp up development to 1 million a month like they claim, that lead is going to be nothing. The Xbox360 is barely under 2 million at this point, it is just pathetic and even the PS2 is outselling the Xbox360 at this time. Your expecting it to beat the next generation of Playstation when the Xbox360 can't even outsell the current generation during its launch window.

They have delayed their console launch by 6 months because of "technical difficulties" and you think they will be able to produce 1million a month in the first few months of launch?

The PS2 has had 5-6 years on the 360 to be in a position of selling x amount more than the xbox 360 so i dont see it being a fair comparison seeing the 360 has only been out a few months.

Yeah I know, games like Tony Hawk, Gun, and Tiger Woods are such a hard act to follow.

Funny how you pick the usual xx year increments over Project Gotham 3 and Kameo

Yea I see the graphical advantage the original Xbox had over the PS2 sure helped it sell and how it helps sells more multiplatform games then the PS2.

Sony had built up its brand image by then, a previously non gamesconsole producing company breaking into the market of the 3 big players whove been at it for years, outselling Nintendo and Sega, which considering they were a software company is quite an acheivement, not to mention how much of a success xbox live has been, to an extent that sony are copying it which is typical of them.

Let someone else innovate and take a big risk, and when the product is a runaway success, take it, repackage it and make out they invented it.

You're post just reeks of fanboyism.

I think that the X360 will not be able to keep up with the hype that the PS3 is creating. Microsoft's advertising scheme has already been a bit of a failure (in my opinion) and I think Sony will be able to capitalise on that and really get the consumers desperate for a release. They've done it so far at least with the jaw dropping MGS4 trailer and all the hype from the "Cell".

From an average consumers point of view about "next gen" the PS3 has to win because it actually is bringing new things into the console market. The majority of people will just think "It has a Blu-Ray drive, which is much better than DVD's, and some sort of new processor which is very fast and sounds good". Thats the top and bottom of it. The only thing the X360 brought intot eh market was HD, but even that is still a bit early for advertising, at least in Europe, as over 90% of people do not yet have it. By 2007 this may well be different though...

My view of thinking is that developers have already been complaining about space available in DVD's for PS2 games (GT4 for example). In 5 years time what use will 8GB's be for the X360 when Sony has 30 or 40? I mean, even if Microsoft can match them on graphical performance, the PS3 games are bound to be able to be bigger or have more things to do because they have more space. Can you even fit a full High Definition film on a dual layer DVD?

Kotaku said they doubt the news that yahoo reported ebcause as of wednesday Sony wasn't sure if the hdd would be included.

"Yahoo News reports that they have verified with a Sony rep that the Playstation 3 will come with a 60GB HD built in.

Sony, earlier this week, said the hard drive would be required to play games but that it might be an optional upgrade. When I spoke with a Sony rep that day she told me they were still scrambling to try and get some verification from Sony Japan about the hard drive.

I hate to say I doubt Yahoo News, but I?ll try verifying this information with the U.S. Sony reps when they get in later today.

On Wednesday it sounded like Sony hadn?t even decided yet what they were doing about the hard drive"

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/playstati...dard-161240.php

all the sony haters can keep denying the truth- Sony won the last 2 console wars and they are gunna do it again. It might not happen right away, from day one- but anyone who things that in the end M$ will be a market leader ANYwhere is having delusions of grandier. Sony can sell empty hat boxes for $500 and they would sell more than the X360. Love em or hate em, you CAN NOT beat the Sony war/hype machine!

Japan, yes. North America, No.

:p

history begs to differ my friend, oh and what is a sony wega tv, except an expensive, empty hatbox? :rolleyes: hahahaha :woot:

history begs to differ my friend, oh and what is a sony wega tv, except an expensive, empty hatbox? :rolleyes: hahahaha :woot:

The only reason they sold so many ps2 is because of the PS1, im by no means a fanboy, i thought the PS1 was an amazing machine and hats off to Sony for breaking into the market and coming out on top. If you slapped a different name on the PS2 it wouldnt have sold by far as many, and its quite sad, just like apple they can put the apple name on something and people go mental for it.

PS3 is going to be in even shorter supply than the xbox 360 was with the cell and the bd-rom, not to mention Sonys track record for building substandard products, many ps1, ps2, psp that break and not just launch consoles or revision 1s, right through their life, even their televisions that go into standby after 1200 hours watching and wont turn on or off again.

They are entering too late into the market, by the time they release xbox 360 will be in plentiful supply, parents will go to the shops to buy their child a console, see the PS3 at such a high price or not available at all and see the 360 with a wealth of games which is relatively cheaper and buy that instead.

Many people will buy the PS3 because of blind faith to Sony which is a big mistake imo, i shall be very surprised if Sony comes out on top this generation because i think to many things have gone wrong for them.

all the sony haters can keep denying the truth- Sony won the last 2 console wars and they are gunna do it again. It might not happen right away, from day one- but anyone who things that in the end M$ will be a market leader ANYwhere is having delusions of grandier. Sony can sell empty hat boxes for $500 and they would sell more than the X360. Love em or hate em, you CAN NOT beat the Sony war/hype machine!

I think $ony has a strong brand in "Playstation" which xbox lacked until 360. I have seen people react "huh" when I said xbox in the past. Whereas most thought PS2 IS same as console (somewhat like iPod = mp3 player now). This time around more people know about "xbox360" than ever so MS has a good chance.

p.s. I spelled sony with a $...I am l33t just like you :pinch:

Why is it so hard to believe that MS might win or at least take a huge chunk away from Sony.

Does nobody remember the market leaders Nintendo & Sega. Oh yea.

I don't want MS to take over like Sony has done the last two times. Sony could do with being taking down a notch. Competition rules and we reap the rewards. Look what MS has forced Sony to do recently.

Worldwide launch. So they are not ignoring Europe for once. Thanks MS. Now just make the games come out at the same time as well and I will be one happy gamer.

Take online seriously.

Hard drive.

I think $ony has a strong brand in "Playstation" which xbox lacked until 360. I have seen people react "huh" when I said xbox in the past. Whereas most thought PS2 IS same as console (somewhat like iPod = mp3 player now). This time around more people know about "xbox360" than ever so MS has a good chance.

p.s. I spelled sony with a $...I am l33t just like you :pinch:

Exactly but the Playstation brand is still more widely known and more popular than the Xbox is. But your right more people do know about "xbox360" than ever.

definetly.

the only reason why i think that the PlayStation sells so much is because of the branding. I had a friend at my university and i mentioned my brother's gamecube. the guy didn't even know what the heck it was :blink: "It's the XBOX and PS2 competitor.", i said. he replied:

"XBOX?"

so yeh... when you're in a place where people think you're the only one... i guess you're on top.

i can't wait till i stop hearing constantly about people's 360s breaking to buy one :)

PS3 is going to be in even shorter supply than the xbox 360 was with the cell and the bd-rom

Not true. Sony has a lot more experience than Microsoft when it comes to manufacturing hardware. Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company.

The only reason they sold so many ps2 is because of the PS1, im by no means a fanboy, i thought the PS1 was an amazing machine and hats off to Sony for breaking into the market and coming out on top. If you slapped a different name on the PS2 it wouldnt have sold by far as many, and its quite sad, just like apple they can put the apple name on something and people go mental for it.

PS3 is going to be in even shorter supply than the xbox 360 was with the cell and the bd-rom, not to mention Sonys track record for building substandard products, many ps1, ps2, psp that break and not just launch consoles or revision 1s, right through their life, even their televisions that go into standby after 1200 hours watching and wont turn on or off again.

They are entering too late into the market, by the time they release xbox 360 will be in plentiful supply, parents will go to the shops to buy their child a console, see the PS3 at such a high price or not available at all and see the 360 with a wealth of games which is relatively cheaper and buy that instead.

Many people will buy the PS3 because of blind faith to Sony which is a big mistake imo, i shall be very surprised if Sony comes out on top this generation because i think to many things have gone wrong for them.

Don't forget the PS2 came out first as well, plus it also functioned as a DVD out of the box, which helped sales in Japan especially, Sony is hoping for the same with the PS3 and Blu-ray. As for the Xbox, I don't remember any huge games for it besides Halo for the longest time, and the Gamecube would've done IMO, if it had a DVD drive to begin with. Just imagine if the Dreamcast had a DVD player.

Microsoft still can't supply enough x360's around my area (SE Michigan), and it's already March. Plenty of games, but hardly any systems, even several months after launch - pathetic. Sony might not be any better, but if they get most of the kinks out now, I can't see how it would be any worse than the x360/PS2. Nintendo may end laughing to the bank if neither company can get their act together by this Christmas.

Having said that, I'm going to wait until all 3 consoles are out, as the x360 hasn't really impressed me yet, I'm weary of Sony at this point, and I'm curious if Nintendo can pull something else out of their hat.

Not true. Sony has a lot more experience than Microsoft when it comes to manufacturing hardware. Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company.

If they are so good at manufacturing hardware why has their last 3 generations of consoles all had bad manufacturing problems throughout the product lifespan, PS1 dodgy lasers (i should know i had at least 3 consoles repaired by sony due to lenses burning out), PS2 again dodgy lasers throughout its lifespan (ive lost count how many ive had to send back to sony to get repaired), and PSP with dodgy screens, sticking buttons etc.. but in all fairness they sorted the PSP out. Not to mention the Bravia range of LCDs that go into standby mode after 1200 hours of watching, cant turn it on, cant turn it off.

Sony have pushed back the PS3 by 6 months due to "technical difficulties", they are blaming it on BD-ROM protection yet the BD-ROM movies have been sat ready to go for a while now?

It wasnt so long ago i was reading that IBM were having problems producing CELL and the fastest they could get it was 2.8GHz, in fairness that was a few months ago, IBM couldnt give Apple 3ghz with the PowerPC, what made them think they were going to be able to produce 3.2GHz Cell cpus in large enough quantaties without too much wastage...

I wouldnt be surprised if Sony had to revise the specs on the thing, imo its too little too late, 360 will have a full year on the PS3, come this christmas 360s will be in plentiful supply and i dont think sony have a cat in hells chance of acing Microsoft this christmas.

That is, if you ignore keyboards, mice, Sidewinder game controllers, networking equipment, etc :p