NO Unreal 3 Engine on Revolution

ok, the Revolution is not targeted to children.. its being targeted to all age groups... second. who cares if it doesnt have Unreal 3 Engine availability? its not like some company CANT make an engine that uses all the revolutions capabilities.. and im sure when he said that Unreal 2 engine would max out the rev's power.. he was just blowing smoke.. because no one knows the final specs on the revolution.. and on the matter of HD.. you dont need HD to be next gen.. NEXT gen would have to provide some sort of innovation.. considering what Nintendo are doing.. I would have to say Nintendo are the only ones going into the Next Generation of video gaming..

Now.. hold the.. oh but sony is going to have Cell processor and Blu-Ray HD-DVD built in. yeah possibly.. but again, you HD does not mean Next Gen.. and Cell processor does sound kind of interesting, but once it can prove that its as powerful as sony hyped it up to be, then thats all it is, its just hype...

i agree that the controller is "innovative" but to me it looks stupid.. and to a lot of my friends it does.. but i know others will like it..

but you saying that the revo is the only system going into the "next generation" is stupid.. i'd consider the 360 and PS3 doing HiDef and all the extra stuff it does to be innovative and thus "next generation".. so ya.. think first, speak second. sounds like ur a huge nintendo fanboy who doesn't wanna hand any credit to the real next-gen consoles.

If the 1st party titles are looking good for the Revo then I plan to get one as soon as available (possibly launch) so no I am not a hater of any console

I hope the Revolution has something else "innovative" besides the awkward-looking controller because I find it hard to consider it revolutionary or next gen based solely on that premise.

to each his own tho.. but ya, kinda sad if the old UE2 can max out the Revolution's hardware.. but who cares as long as mario and other 1st party games are good I can't say i'll complain.. ill leave the heavy games for the big boys (360 and PS3) for HD

Has an Unreal engine ever been used on a Nintendo console?

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is trying to keep the cost of development kits and licencing down to a minimum for the Revolution, so why would they even bother wasting money on licencing the Unreal 3 engine when it exceeds the Revolution's capabilities?

I know that the Unreal 3 engine may help with porting games from PC/360/PS3 to the Revolution. But since the Revolution is based off the same architecture that the GameCube had, a lot of developers will already have experience in coding/porting, so I doubt having the Unreal 3 engine would be a feasible benefit.

Edited by matt_hobbs05

Has an Unreal engine ever been used on a Nintendo console?

Well, each Splinter Cell is on GameCube. And I'm pretty sure they run on the Unreal Engine.

who cares if there is HDR or not? or advanced lighting and shading function? the revolution is NOT in competition with Ps3 or Xbox360..

You're under the mistaken impression that I thought the lack of those graphical features was necessarily a mistake on Nintendo's part, or at least that it would affect the value or success of the console.

But I did not.

they are not going the Graphical route.. they are going to focus more on the GAMEPLAY.. do you people actually remember what that is? thats what makes a video game.. not pretty lights or shading.. its gonna be fine

There's a gaping hole in that argument. It's based on the fallacy that providing more power/graphical ability has a negative effect on gameplay. However, that has clearly never been the case.

No, Nintendo isn't going with a less powerful system because they think a more powerful system would make gameplay worse. They're doing it so that it will be cheap and small. They're hoping to undercut the competition (or position themselves as the obvious "second system" for gamers because of affordability and the quantity of first-party exclusive and unique titles).

It's a good plan, and given their position I think Nintendo is making mostly smart moves. They're probably not going to sell the most units. But they might be the most profitable. And they're likely not going to tread on the territory that Microsoft and Sony are so feverishly lusting for (to be the center of all your entertainment needs), and thus hope to avoid the wrath of the giants.

But stop spewing this "they're focusing on Gameplay not graphics!" rubbish. It sounds a lot like "I don't want a pretty girl, I want a smart girl." No, what you want is a girl that's smart and pretty. You just can't afford her.

what exactly is this EU3 engine capable off?? and what does it do?? with only using EU2 is that a HUGGE drop in grafix?? ive seen screenies n stuff and it looks better than the gamecube, they look really nice, so wheres the complaining??

Hip hip who cares!? What's new in UE3 anyway? Pretty much nothing at all: Huge textures, HDR lighting, parallax mapping - even volumetric fog or realtime ambient shadows - all of that was already possible with a slightly modified UE2 engine and a few advanced shaders. Porting UE2 to Revolution and adding a few special features and tweaks would be about as hard as porting UE3 minus features Revolution can't handle...

i agree that the controller is "innovative" but to me it looks stupid.. and to a lot of my friends it does.. but i know others will like it..

but you saying that the revo is the only system going into the "next generation" is stupid.. i'd consider the 360 and PS3 doing HiDef and all the extra stuff it does to be innovative and thus "next generation".. so ya.. think first, speak second. sounds like ur a huge nintendo fanboy who doesn't wanna hand any credit to the real next-gen consoles.

If the 1st party titles are looking good for the Revo then I plan to get one as soon as available (possibly launch) so no I am not a hater of any console

I hope the Revolution has something else "innovative" besides the awkward-looking controller because I find it hard to consider it revolutionary or next gen based solely on that premise.

to each his own tho.. but ya, kinda sad if the old UE2 can max out the Revolution's hardware.. but who cares as long as mario and other 1st party games are good I can't say i'll complain.. ill leave the heavy games for the big boys (360 and PS3) for HD

Sounds like you deserve a warning for calling someone else a "fanboy". Keep your cool, please.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=410211

Edited by SoulSphere

I've never bought a Nintendo console of my own but I have always enjoyed the gameplay of the Mario games, I think if Nintendo can pull off great gameplay with such games as Zelda, an FPS title like Goldeneye / perfect dark, and a good set of Mario games (racer / RPG) then I might just buy one.

When you look at the cost of a Nintendo console like the Game Cube compared to other consoles (Even at its launch) it is much cheaper and doesn't take such a hit to the pocket, There new controller to me looks stupid, but that doesn't mean its bad I haven't tried it and although it looks stupid so did the N64 controller to me (It still looks like a space ship) yet it played excellently.

Ever bought a game with excellent graphics only to have it flop in the gameplay department? like say Doom 3? all that hype all that graphic-godlyness, I think Nintendo's new console will fill that void by replacing High Def graphics with great compelling gameplay while passing the savings onto us. The consumers.

People always forget the unreal engine is not limited to First Person Shooters!

It's been used in Pinball games and all sort of third person games...

First, would a business pay for the Unreal3 engine licence to make a pinball game? I don't think so, unless they have another 5 titles to use it in.

Second, all the hype about HD is, frankly, a lot of bollocks. Yes, the technology does offer dramatic picture improvements, but also brings more DRM and control - the Big Brother would know what you watch and when you watch it. Now, I still love HD myself but just like 80% of people out there I can't afford this technology right now - why should I pay for the extras in PS3, for example, if my TV would not take advantage of that?

Third, Revo is all about Nintendo and its games. Look at the DS sales in Japan and you know what I mean.

First, would a business pay for the Unreal3 engine licence to make a pinball game? I don't think so, unless they have another 5 titles to use it in.

Second, all the hype about HD is, frankly, a lot of bollocks. Yes, the technology does offer dramatic picture improvements, but also brings more DRM and control - the Big Brother would know what you watch and when you watch it. Now, I still love HD myself but just like 80% of people out there I can't afford this technology right now - why should I pay for the extras in PS3, for example, if my TV would not take advantage of that?

Third, Revo is all about Nintendo and its games. Look at the DS sales in Japan and you know what I mean.

I think the big hub-ub about HD is that PC games have been capable of HD resolutions for a very long time. While consoles which have been constricted to low-def TV's have not been able to rival that pure pixel density. This is just the console industry's way of saying "Game Match" to PC only game developers and buyers.

I know for sure I don't want to play UT2007 at 720x480 I want to play it at 1680x1050 like my other games. :/ But hey, that's just me.

I think the big hub-ub about HD is that PC games have been capable of HD resolutions for a very long time. While consoles which have been constricted to low-def TV's have not been able to rival that pure pixel density. This is just the console industry's way of saying "Game Match" to PC only game developers and buyers.

I know for sure I don't want to play UT2007 at 720x480 I want to play it at 1680x1050 like my other games. :/ But hey, that's just me.

I do hope that UT2007 gets a Nintendo release (not sure how that would play up with the graphics engines of the game and Revo), but as I have stated in my post above Nintendo is banking on other things - the almighty classics plus gameplay. There is simply no need for Nintendo to go into HD-type top of the line gaming market - there is a war between 360 and the upcoming PS3 going in there already. Instead, Nintendo continues to exploit the market it knows and that has worked for the company for years - look at all the PS3 and 360 fanboys who are saying that they would buy a Nintendo alongside with their 360 or PS3 because the console seems to offer them a different experience. After all, it's not all about 3D shooters like someone has said above...

As far the as "Game Match" is concerned, I don't think it's all about just that. Look at the Xbox Live offer and Sony rolling out a similar service. This is about the living room domination as well (movies, etc.), and you can't dominate a living room without HD support. Nintendo doesn't seem to have plans for that market just yet.