IGN reveals some revolutions specs

Hmm, the more I think about this the more it concerns me. I know alot of people think the specs arent important but face it, they are. I know great games can be made on minimalistic systems but theres also other great games that can't. I really don't see how a game like Oblivion would manage on the gamecube for instance. Any game thats as complex as this needs a powerful system, not particully for the eye candy or to do high reesolutions (since the Rev isnt going for HD then it could afford to run at lower res anyway) but just to handle the complexity of the game world in terms of its architecture and sheer size.

Maybe I'm underestimating the machine but I really doubt that anything like oblivion would be possible on the Xbox 1 and Rev isnt due for many a month yet and it's probably intended to have a 3 or 4 year shelf life. With that power it could struggle to run many of todays games, yet alone tomorrows ones. And yeah yeah graphics isnt everything but like I said higher specs has many benefits, only one of which is the actual graphics quality.

We'll see, I'm kind of wearey atm but I wont take the specs too seriously until Nintendo releases some official ones. Gut feeling tells me though that they will be pretty close to these ones anyway but due to the direction Nintendo seems to want to take the console.

I'll hope for the best although as you can see above I think a PS3 or Xbox would suit me more based on what I'm after.

Really, I bet we'll be impressed by what the Rev can pump out. Just look at certain GC titles...Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Zelda WW and TP, F-Zero GP, Eternal darkness (Not bad considering how early it was released) and so on. The GC really does pump out some good visuals, and if the rev is 2x as powerful as the GC I think that'll be plenty of power myself.

what is so complex about oblivion? i understand they are using high res textures and lots of shaders, but that can be handled pretty easily on a lower res system.... are you marveling at the intricacies of a streaming game world? Procedurally generated forests? (are they doing that? i thought i heard something about that)...

revolution will give developers the power they need if they want to make a graphical game, but it provides a lot of incentive to focus on other avenues of game developement as well. Nintendo is really trying to help developers out by keeping the console easy to develop for, and CHEAP to develop for if they so choose.

There is such a thing as too much power, I know your kneejerk reaction is to pound me in the face with a shovel, but in many cases today, devs get caught up trying to make the best looking game in order to keep up with the other games and lose focus on the meat of the product. You can have a great looking game and great gameplay, but the more focus that gets put toward the graphical elements generally means less focus on other, more important elements. Perhaps its not all on the game dev., a lot of this pressure comes from the publishers and such. But their thinking in a competitive mode, the consumer sees graphics first, the publisher realizes that in order to compete a certain level of graphical realism is required. If they arent liking the results they are going to pressure the developer to put more time into that portion of the game.

Nintendo is a developer. They may not have the marketing prowess or budget of MS and Sony, but they understand the state of the industry better. They are catering to the developer, don't suggest otherwise.

By eliminating HD, the Revolution only has to put out about 1/4 of the graphics. (lower resolution and interlaced). This DRAMATICALLY cuts the Revolutions need for high power.

This is all I gotta say about it though. I LOVE Nintendo games. They are always just FUN and take me back to being a kid. Heck, I wasn't goign to buy a DS until I saw the new Zelda and Mario and that sold me right there, which brings me to my point. Nintendo always has and most likely always will be about the GAMES, not the system. The Revolution will rock b/c of Mario, and Samus, and Zelda, etc. Plus you can DL old school games for a pretty low cost. The controller is a fun way to interact, but that's nto the selling point. I don't care if the graphics are TECHNICALLY the best, as long as they LOOK good. Gamecube wasn't as powerful as the current gen of systems, but I think it held its own graphically. In my personal opinion, while XBox was the tops graphics-wise, Nintendo was still ahead of PS2's chunky graphics. To make an analogy, while a BMW isn't nearly as powerful or expensive to drive as a Ferrari, but it's still fun to drive and handles well!!

Revolution will definately be on my buy list this Christmas!!

with these kinds of specs the games better be really good and not like the kiddie games the GC had. they can't just rely on endless mario (party) games/zelda. it would need more 3rd party games.

By eliminating HD, the Revolution only has to put out about 1/4 of the graphics. (lower resolution and interlaced). This DRAMATICALLY cuts the Revolutions need for high power.

How do you know that progressive is not in the cards?

Wow....original XBOX more powerful then the new "next gen" Nintendo system that hast been released yet.

Excuse me

Have we seen ANYTHING that has been made with those specs?

Those numbers mean nothing until we see how the developers can harness the power.

THis is a true nintendo console. Why are people disappointed. Nintendos consoles have always been underpowered compaired to there competition.

Not really. Super Nintendo had more graphical muscle than the Genesis (sound too), N64 was more powerful than the PlayStation and Saturn. Sure, the NES wasn't the most powerful out there, but it was a huge gamble after 'the crash'. GameCube was basically their first in 10 years to not be #1 in power, had to settle for #2.

Actually it's all about the games. The graphics on the Gamecube were pretty good. 2x the power of Gamecube, plus innovative gameplay? Sure sounds good to me. Who cares if the graphics aren't as good as XB360 and PS3? They will be plenty good enough and will still look great. The XB360 and PS3 bring nothing new, other than a graphics update. Big deal. Same old games, same old gameplay, just with better graphics. After playing games since the old Atari days, I for one am ready for a new way to play rather than just a graphics update. Ever since the NES, there hasn't been much innovation and only graphics updates over the last gen, other than the shoulder buttons being added, and the analogue stick (both Nintendo innovations, BTW), and internet play. It's time for something new. Nintendo has shown that with the DS, and they will show it with the Revolution as well.

Would it be nice for it to be as powerful as the XB360 and PS3? Of course, but that would raise the costs too much and Nintendo wants to make this an affordable console. I commend them on that. I for one would never pay $400 for a console. This thing will probably cost $150. If you feel you NEED "leet" graphics, you can get an XB360 or PS3 and still be able to afford a Revolution.

I compare this to the PSP vs. DS. The PSP is much more powerful, but the DS is killing it. Why? Because it's affordable, and it has fun and innovative gameplay. I really believe it will be the same with the Revolution this round.