WTC Occupants Told To Sit Tight On 911

The word to Towers on Sept. 11: Sit tight

By Jim Dwyer The New York Times

SATURDAY, APRIL 1, 2006

post-147955-1143934224.gif

Source: Herald Tribune

NEW YORK The city on Friday released partial recordings of about 130 telephone calls made to the emergency 911 number after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, stripped of the voices of the people inside the World Trade Center but still evocative of their invisible struggles for life.

Only the 911 operators and fire department dispatchers can be heard on the recordings, their words mapping the calamity in rough, faint echoes of the men and women in the towers who had called them for help.

They describe crowded islands of fleeting survival, on floors far from the crash and even on those that were directly hit: Hallways are blocked on 104. Send help to 84. It is hard to breathe on 97. Be calm, the operators implore. God is there. Sit tight.

The recordings, contained on 11 compact discs, also document a broken link in the chain of emergency communications.

The voices captured on those discs track the callers as they are passed by telephone from one agency to another, moving through a confederacy of municipal fiefdoms - police, fire, ambulance - but almost never receiving vital instructions to get out of the buildings.

No more than two of the 130 callers were told to leave, the tapes reveal, even though unequivocal orders to evacuate the trade center had been given by fire chiefs and police commanders moments after the first plane struck. The city had no procedure for field commanders to share information with the 911 system, a flaw identified by the Sept. 11 Commission that city officials say has since been fixed.

The tapes show that many callers were not told to leave, but to stay put, the standard advice for high-rise fires. In the north tower, all three of the building's stairways were destroyed at the 92nd floor. But in the south tower, where one stairway remained passable, the recordings include references to perhaps a few hundred people huddled in offices, unaware of the order to leave.

The calls released Friday bring to life the fatal frustration and confusion experienced by one unidentified man in the complex's south tower, who called at 9:08 a.m., shortly after the second plane struck the building. For the next 11 minutes, as his call was bounced from police operators to fire dispatchers and back again, the 911 system vindicated its reputation as a rickety, dangerous contraption, one that the administration of then Mayor Rudolph Giuliani tried to overhaul with little success, and one that Mayor Michael Bloomberg hopes to improve by spending close to $1 billion.

The voice of the man, who was calling from the offices of Keefe Bruyette on the 88th floor of that building, was removed from the recording by the city. From the operator's responses, it appears that he wanted to leave.

"You cannot - you have to wait until somebody comes there," she tells the man. The police operator urged him to put wet towels or rags under the door, and said she would connect him to the Fire Department.

As she tried to transfer his call, the phone rang and rang - 15 times - before the police operator gave up and tried a fire department dispatch office in another borough. Eventually, a dispatcher picked up and he asked the man to repeat the same information that he had provided moments earlier to the police operator. (The police and fire departments had separate computer dispatching systems that were unable to share basic information like the location of an emergency.)

After that, the fire dispatcher hung up, and the man on the 88th floor apparently persisted in asking the police operator - who had stayed on the line - about leaving. "But I can't tell you to do that, sir," the operator said, who then decided to transfer his call back to the Fire Department. "Let me connect you again. O.K.? Because I really do not want to tell you to do that. I can't tell you to move."

A fire dispatcher picked up and asked - for the third time in the call - for the location of the man on the 88th floor. The dispatcher's instructions were relayed by the police operator. "O.K.," she said. "I need you to stay in the office. Don't go into the hallway. They're coming upstairs. They are coming. They're trying to get upstairs to you."

At Keefe Bruyette, 67 people died, many of whom had gathered in conference rooms and offices on the 88th and 89th floors. Some tried to reach the roof, a futile trek that the Sept. 11 Commission said might have been avoided if the city's 911 operators had known that the police had ruled out helicopter rescues and that an evacuation order had been issued.

The calls were released Friday in response to a Freedom of Information request made by The New York Times on Jan. 25, 2002, for public records concerning the events of Sept. 11. The city refused to release most of them on the grounds that they were needed to prosecute a man accused of complicity in the attacks, or contained opinions that were not subject to disclosure, or were so intensely personal that their release would be an invasion of privacy. The Times sued in state court, and nine family members of people killed in the attacks joined the case.

Judge Richard Braun of the State Supreme Court in Manhattan ruled in early 2003 that the vast majority of the records were public, but said that the city could remove the words of the 911 callers on privacy grounds. Over the next two years, the core of his ruling was affirmed by the appellate division and the New York State Court of Appeals.

City officials said that 130 calls were made to 911 from inside the buildings. Of that group, officials were able to identify 27 people and notified their next of kin this week that they could listen to the complete call.

While that might seem like a small number of calls given that approximately 15,000 people were at the trade center that morning, officials said that many of those who got through to 911 were with large groups of people.

In the offices of Cantor Fitzgerald in the north tower, 25 to 50 people found refuge in a conference room on the 104th floor. One man, Andrew Rosenblum, reached his wife in Long Island, and gave her the names and home phone numbers of colleagues who were with him. As he recited the information, she relayed it to neighbors. Rosenblum also called a friend and said that the group had used computer terminals to smash windows for fresh air.

Such drastic actions appeared to have been discouraged by the operator. Another Cantor Fitzgerald employee on the 104th floor was Richard Caggiano, who called 911 at 8:53, seven minutes after the plane hit the north tower.

"Don't do that, sir," the operator said. "Don't do that. There's help on the way, sir. Hold on." Caggiano's words, which were not made public, prompted a question from the operator.

"Are y'all in a particular room?" she asked. "How many?" She listened, then said, "25 or 30 in a back room. O.K. They're on the way. They're already there. You can't hear the sirens?"

Just before the south tower collapsed at 9:59 a.m., a spurt of calls reached the 911 operators. One of these was from Shimmy Biegeleisen, who worked for Fiduciary Trust in the south tower on computer systems. He was on the 97th floor where, by chance, an emergency drill had been scheduled for that day.

Biegeleisen called his home in Brooklyn, spoke with his wife and prayed with a friend, Jack Edelman, who remembered hearing him say: "Of David. A psalm. The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it, the world and those that live in it." At 9:52, he called 911.

The building had seven more minutes before it would collapse. Biegeleisen would spend those minutes telling first the police operator, then the fire dispatcher, that he was on the 97th floor with six people, that the smoke had gotten heavy. The police operator tried to encourage Biegeleisen.

"Heavy smoke. O.K. Sir, please try to keep calm. We'll send somebody up there immediately. Hold on. Stay on the line. I'm contacting EMS. Hold on. I'm connecting you to the ambulance service now." As his call was transferred to the ambulance service, once again, the information about the smoke and the 97th floor was sought and delivered.

"Sir, any smoke over there?" asked the ambulance dispatcher. "O.K. the best thing to do is to keep - keep down on the ground. All right? O.K.?" The ambulance dispatcher hung up, but the original operator stayed on the line with Biegeleisen.

She could be heard speaking briefly with someone else in the room, and then turned her attention back to him "We'll disengage. O.K.?" the operator asked. "There were notifications made. We made the notifications. If there's any further, you let us know. You can call back." Seconds later, the building collapsed.

well the dispatchers didn't know how bad the situation was inside the towers. I doubt they would have done that if they knew the towers were going to collapse. I read that many retired early because of the WTC.

Shows you how bad emergency systems can kill thousands.

so what would you have done that would've saved thousands?

what else could they have done? no chronosphere in the real world.

The importance of this is that the 911 operators were in on the conspiracy and wanted people to stay in the buildings so the tragedy would get a higher death count furthering the conspirators aims and fueling our anger.

The importance of this is that the 911 operators were in on the conspiracy and wanted people to stay in the buildings so the tragedy would get a higher death count furthering the conspirators aims and fueling our anger.

Damn straight :yes:

That post was drenched in sarcasm, hopefully your reply was as well. Please tell me, you don't really believe that.

Oh I agree :)

Thread Moved

This is either a non issue, as this is how a badly connected system works, and what you would be told to do in a normal call like this. Or, it is a conspiracy theory.

I noticed that every thread you make gets put in here WinMacsta. LOL, might as well make you a mod.

I know right lol :D I've got a good attitude, some ppl like to bash me though, because of my own personal views.

But rly though most of the posts I make I put in here, very few I put in real world issues gets moved here, and I've posted alot of topics so far in real world issues lol

Thread Moved

This is either a non issue, as this is how a badly connected system works, and what you would be told to do in a normal call like this. Or, it is a conspiracy theory.

If you want my opinion, it's a misguided obsession. :sleep:

I can't believe that people can be so sick, as to suggest things like this. :angry:

I can't see that the operators did anything particular wrong under the circumstances. They were telling the people in the WTC what they would tell anyone. Had they known the full scale of the emergency, and had communication channels between the various departments been better, they may have told them different.

Although even if they did know the full scale of it, what else can they say? "Kiss your butt good-bye, because the buildings gonna collapse soon, and the firefighters can't get in"?

I can't believe that people can be so sick, as to suggest things like this. :angry:

I can't see that the operators did anything particular wrong under the circumstances. They were telling the people in the WTC what they would tell anyone. Had they known the full scale of the emergency, and had communication channels between the various departments been better, they may have told them different.

Although even if they did know the full scale of it, what else can they say? "Kiss your butt good-bye, because the buildings gonna collapse soon, and the firefighters can't get in"?

I think your sarcasm detector broke....better check your batteries.

If not that, then your reading-the-thread-o-matic broke, because if you scroll down two posts..

ever heard of "sarcasm"

I know right lol :D I've got a good attitude, some ppl like to bash me though, because of my own personal views.

But rly though most of the posts I make I put in here, very few I put in real world issues gets moved here, and I've posted alot of topics so far in real world issues lol

Your 'personal views' seem to be all based off what you read on conspiracy sites I'm afraid. The twin towers fell because some messed up group of terrorists who hated America hijacked some planes and flew into them. As scary as that sounds that things such as this can be explained in such simple terms I'm afraid that's what happened. There is no doubt that the American government is hiding certain things from the general public, but to actually believe one's own government would do this is absurd. Conspiracy theories rely on something similar to pareidolia; seeing faces in clouds etc. A theorist will seek out facts that they can distort and be selective with to seemingly back up their claim. Ask yourself the hard questions and get both ends of the spectrums point of view about these things and if you still come to the same conclusions then fine, good for you, but I just think you want to believe it was a conspiracy.

really now... wouldn't it be obvious for the occupants of the WTC to not call 911, but leave the building ASAP? If I would have been in there, and thanks to the higher being i wasn't, i would just get the hell out of there.

As scary as that sounds that things such as this can be explained in such simple terms I'm afraid that's what happened. There is no doubt that the American government is hiding certain things from the general public, but to actually believe one's own government would do this is absurd.

How can you believe that America had absolutely no knowledge of such an attack and then agree that America might hide some things about 9/11 from the public? The opposite should be done so America can shut the rumors down.

I still think it makes no sense in today's modern science world that steel can collapse in the way that they did with the twin towers. Jet Fuel can't scientifically do that.

I think gathered information, post 9/11, has been withheld from the public for national security reasons, As much as I hate this form of governing, where the 'priveledged' few get to dictate to the many, I think some things like this have to be done sometimes. Also people always say things like that, that a jet plane can't obliterate an entire building according to our understanding of the factors involved but, with all respect and I'm sorry this sounds a little crude, in school you would write a theory and predict the outcome and sometimes find the practical experiment didn't go as you had planned.

really now... wouldn't it be obvious for the occupants of the WTC to not call 911, but leave the building ASAP? If I would have been in there, and thanks to the higher being i wasn't, i would just get the hell out of there.

You wouldn't panic? You wouldn't be so scared you can't think straight? It is obvious to us now, us who are thinking rationally and have the benefit of hindsight.

It seems preposterous that the operators weren't telling people to leave, however I doubt they had ever been trained to deal with a plane crashing into a building. They would have had to default to procedures for something else and they didn't know the buildings were going to collapse.

You wouldn't panic? You wouldn't be so scared you can't think straight? It is obvious to us now, us who are thinking rationally and have the benefit of hindsight.

It seems preposterous that the operators weren't telling people to leave, however I doubt they had ever been trained to deal with a plane crashing into a building. They would have had to default to procedures for something else and they didn't know the buildings were going to collapse.

Yeah. People were told "do what you need to do", but nobody was expecting the building to collapse. Even Usama stated he didnt forsee what had actually happened (2 buildings >>>)

• 2 weeks later...

well tbh the people should have been smart enough to leave a buliding if it was on fire. if your house was on fire you wouldnt call 911 and ask them if you should leave your house :rolleyes:

if you really dont have the instinct to leave a building thats on fire, well thats what natural selection is for.