Unexplained Chunks of Ice Falling From Sky

Weird X-Files phenomena occuring out there. Scientists can't seem to explain why chunks of ice are falling from nowhere. Global warming? Ice from airplanes? Who knows but it's odd.

A clear chunk of ice fell into a Oakland park recently:

Cold Case: Why did the iceman cometh?

OAKLAND ? Ice falling from the sky might seem unusual, but some Spanish and American scientists say it is becoming a frequent occurrence throughout the world.

Like the estimated 200-plus-pound chunk that fell Saturday on Bushrod Park, clear ice from the sky has been reported around the world. Big and small ice-falls have happened in China, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, Scotland, Hungary, England, India and more than half of the United States ? often in summer and some recorded before aircraft were invented, scientists say.

And in each case, no one knows why.

"None of us have been able to come up with a process to determine how it is happening," said David Travis, a climatologist at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. "We're really baffled as to what is going on here."

Travis and Madrid-based scientist Jesus Martinez-Frias have studied the phenomenon since at least 2000, when they began scouring the Internet for news stories about the incidents. They found 37 instances in which a large chunk of ice fell from clear skies. Each year, they find more reports of it happening.

The Oakland ice cube was clear and free of debris, ruling out any chance it came from an airplane bathroom, the experts said. But its large size makes it hard to believe the ice is a product of nature.

So conflicting theories abound.

more

http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_3697520

i heard about this most recent one on the news the other day. i don't understand how we cannot know where these are coming from....bizarre.

It come from the great things called planes.

In my area not long ago people where finding big chunks of ice in roofs and gardens, Where it can be really cold ice can form on the wings and drop of and fall. They are deadly.

Look at these at my local paper, few bits on these sort of things

http://www.portsmouthtoday.co.uk/template/...Normal&PageId=1

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume its from space, a la comet?
:huh: A comet is going to be quite noticable and be a lot more than a 'few chunks'. Ordinary small chunks of ice from Space would 'burn up' from friction and evaporation.

The ice is probably created in the Earth's field like water is. Energy is slowed down and forms into more solid matter. The mass of the Earth is added to each year.

It come from the great things called planes.

In my area not long ago people where finding big chunks of ice in roofs and gardens, Where it can be really cold ice can form on the wings and drop of and fall. They are deadly.

Look at these at my local paper, few bits on these sort of things

http://www.portsmouthtoday.co.uk/template/...Normal&PageId=1

interesting. i don't get the whole leaky toilet theory though...these are big chunks of ice.

:huh: A comet is going to be quite noticable and be a lot more than a 'few chunks'. Ordinary small chunks of ice from Space would 'burn up' from friction and evaporation.

The ice is probably created in the Earth's field like water is. Energy is slowed down and forms into more solid matter. The mass of the Earth is added to each year.

We can't add mass to the Earth, unless we factor in external space debris which may collide with the Earth.

The laws of the Conservation of Mass (and Energy) apply to all situations except in nuclear reactions; in which case we lose mass when we convert it into energy, per e=mc^2.

We can't add mass to the Earth, unless we factor in external space debris which may collide with the Earth.

The laws of the Conservation of Mass (and Energy) apply to all situations except in nuclear reactions; in which case we lose mass when we convert it into energy, per e=mc^2.

Exactly, I was going to leave it as Hum tends to state many falsehoods as gospel. If the chunk of ice was big enough then I can't see that it would be completely destroyed before it hits earth.

Exactly, I was going to leave it as Hum tends to state many falsehoods as gospel. If the chunk of ice was big enough then I can't see that it would be completely destroyed before it hits earth.

There are many 'falsehoods' thrown around by Science as 'gospel'. :laugh: Science has changed what is Truth over the years and centuries. You have only to look at past beliefs to see this fact. What seems unlikely this decade is often changed in the next. Even scientists themselves do not agree on many 'truths'.

And your wonderful Science says, comets are not made of pure water, have many impurities. The mysterious chunks of ice supposedly:

The water's isotopic signature indicated the ice ball was terrestrial, with the water coming from temperate latitudes.

And many strange materials and animals have fallen from the clear skies over the years.

I simply state what I have learned. I stand by the idea that the Earth has an electromagnetic vortex, that energy is slowed down and forms into matter, and that the material mass of the Earth grows.

No one is obligated to blindly believe anyone's post.

If folks like Boffa Jones, ripgut, and raid517 chose to not agree, that's fine. To each his or her own beliefs. But let's respect each other's right to express various ideas. :happy:

I'm assuming it has to do with water vapour in the upper atmosphere that is combining, falling and picking up more water, add in winds (i have heard of a German air force pilot being frozen to death after expecting from his plane during a bad storm, the winds kept him in the clouds and he froze) and you can get large chunks of pure ice in a clear sky.

If folks like Boffa Jones, ripgut, and raid517 chose to not agree, that's fine. To each his or her own beliefs. But let's respect each other's right to express various ideas. :happy:

This is the science section, we talk facts (which can change with the discovery of new evidence) here, not beliefs.