DS Lite impressions

There's been a lot of questions lately about what exactly the Nintendo DS Lite is, and what it has to offer.

Physical Changes:[/]

Nintendo DS Lite is only a change in form factor.

This means that the games that it can play are exactly the same as the original Nintendo DS; only the physical characteristics have changed.

Size:

The most significant change is that the Nintendo DS Lite is physically smaller than its predecessor, and shed weight. The original Nintendo DS was 5.9" x 3.3", and 1.13" thick. The Nintendo DS Lite has managed to trim that down to a slim 5.2" x 2.9" x .85", and lost nearly 2 ounces in weight, down to 7.7 ounces from 9.7 ounces. The Nintendo DS Lite is a total of 42% smaller than the Nintendo DS.

Button arrangement:

Another functionality change has to do with the Nintendo DS Lite's button placement. The power button has moved from the face of the unit, where it was located on the original, to the side. The microphone has shifted from the bottom of the case, below the touchscreen, to a position near the hinges. The start and select button have been moved from the upper-right to lower right hand corner of the unit.

The disadvantage of being small:

The Nintendo DS Lite has all the media capabilities of the original Nintendo DS. This means that it can play both Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance titles. However, unlike the original Nintendo DS, the DS Lite is not big enough to hold a Game Boy Advance cartridge entirely inside the frame. When playing a Nintendo DS, a portion of the cartridge sticks out from the bottom of the system. This makes it difficult to carry the DS Lite with a game loaded at all times.

Final thoughts:

The Nintendo DS Lite is not revolutionary. It plays the same games as the Nintendo DS, only does it in a small, sleeker package. Nintendo has become famous for reworking their handheld designs to maximize profit; the Game Boy Advance has gone through several iterations before arriving at the look and feel that it has now. Yet, it's hard to deny that Nintendo has become good at improving their own work. Their redesigns are almost always improvements in some respects of the originally released hardware. If you already own a Nintendo DS, there's probably little reason to worry about the Lite. However, if you're thinking about picking up a unit, then you'll probably find yourself wanting the Lite above all else. In Japan, the Nintendo DS Lite sells for only slightly more than the original, and you can expect the prices to level out as Nintendo phases the Nintendo DS out of existence. When it will cross the oceans and leave Japan, and what price you can expect, is currently a mystery to everyone.

that's not true.....and that's definitely lacking in details.

#1 The DS Lite has more brightness settings, and yes two of the settings are brighter than the default one (no backlight, default, and 2 extras -I just leave it on the default one)

#2 They changed the battery, so if you kept the brightness on the same setting as the old one, you'll almost double your battery life (according to specs)

#3 The feel of A, B, and D pad have changed to more of a soft feeling

#4 Since I only have DS games, the Advance slot isn't a problem... :D

#5 You won't be as embarrased carrying it around compared to the older version!

#6 The Stylus is larger and thicker, so that it's a lot more comfortable. The stylus tip seems to be made out of a gel, for smoother movement and less wear & tear. And the position of the stylus holder has changed to the right side on the console.

#7 Speculations in the N.A. release range from May to August.

Edited by Evolution

#1 The DS Lite has more brightness settings, and yes two of the settings are brighter than the default one (no backlight, default, and 2 extras -I just leave it on the default one)

Actually the backlight is always on.

One of my friends just got his in from playasia.com and let me say, this thing is awesome! Somehow by making the thing smaller it became more comfortable to play. The button layout is better and they overall feel of the buttons is better. They have more of a GCN controller feel as opposed to a GBA:SP feel. Also the brightness on this thing is unreal, it makes the graphics stand out better, it just feels like you are seeing more of the game. Overall, I have to say I am very impressed by this redesign. It seems liike the corrected the little nuiances to make it an even better system.