How many have Switched to Mac since OSX

Originally posted by Tesseract

I would like to have a mac/pc congifuration, but the mac is just too expensive for me. :(

Same here, I wouldn't mind having a mac on the side to fool around with. Using it as a primary machine is totally out of the question though...

...unless Microsoft/Intel/AMD start implementing that Palladium crap into their products, then, and only then will i switch exclusively to OS X.

Originally posted by JZolloXP

Same here, I wouldn't mind having a mac on the side to fool around with. Using it as a primary machine is totally out of the question though...

...unless Microsoft/Intel/AMD start implementing that Palladium crap into their products, then, and only then will i switch exclusively to OS X.

What can you do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac? Not wanting to start a fight, just curious.

Originally posted by azazel-

What can you do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac? Not wanting to start a fight, just curious.

I think its pretty equal for now. don't see any big differences, only that from macworld vids, the Mac seems so much easier than the PC. but all the famous graphic applications for Mac are on PC also. :)

no one in their right mind would ever switch to mac - there is NOTHING a pc cant do that a mac can - plus a pc is cheaper, 1000x more software, better software, better hardware, etc, etc.

people who get macs are either ignorant ms haters (you had an awesome idea of making a usable pc and youre rich! im going to hate you for life!!!111) or they are obsessed with the look of mac (which is ugly, although the icons are nice, and is not effecient at all when compared to the windows taskbar/start menu)

you want mac? get a pc, download a mac theme. there. you have everything a mac has to offer but you payed less, you have a lot more software, your computer is faster, you can afford to upgrade when newer products come out.

Originally posted by VaxoP

no one in their right mind would ever switch to mac - there is NOTHING a pc cant do that a mac can - plus a pc is cheaper, 1000x more software, better software, better hardware, etc, etc.

people who get macs are either ignorant ms haters (you had an awesome idea of making a usable pc and youre rich! im going to hate you for life!!!111) or they are obsessed with the look of mac (which is ugly, although the icons are nice, and is not effecient at all when compared to the windows taskbar/start menu)

you want mac? get a pc, download a mac theme. there. you have everything a mac has to offer but you payed less, you have a lot more software, your computer is faster, you can afford to upgrade when newer products come out.

I'd come up with a witty, sarcastic comment about how bloated MS software is, how it constantly forces users to upgrade their hardware to utilize new "features", how that your logic is completely ignorant to be basic fact that, yes, taking into consideration the initial cost of the PC, yeah, it may be cheaper than a Mac, but it will also be obsolete *far* quicker than that Mac will, hence requiring near-constant upgrading to stay anywhere near current, resulting in inflated costs. All of the idiot threads wanting help on Windows, how to repair what they've screwed up...all in a vain, feeble attempt to emulate an enviroment in Windows that will never be attainable? That nearly all the software available for the PC is available for the Mac, minus all the stupid fluff crap *coughInfoBarcough*. Only it's running in a Unix enviroment, which is, was, and always will be more stable than anything Redmond can vomit out. I'd say all these things, plus many more...but...your post makes you look far more foolish than I could ever hope to. Good job!

:right:

Gaming for one thing :p

Also, you can't use the following programs..

Trillian, LiteStep, Winamp, Daemon-Tools, Samurize, Motherboard Monitor, CloneCD, mIRC, CuteFTP, Nero, Metapad, and a few other programs that I use on an almost daily basis, that I can't do without.

Mac's are nice and all, and infact, I do want one, but it'll never replace my primary computer.

I got an I book about 7 months ago. And since then I use the Ibook for everything. And I only keep my PC for gaming wich still way better then Mac. If it wasn't for the gaming I whould get rid of the PC.

Half of those you wouldn't need in OS X, because the functionality is either built in, or not needed (ie Litestep). Even so...there are alternatives.

And most of the current games are available for the Mac.

All I'm trying to say is, people have this misconception that they are dependant upon Windows, without really looking to see if they are. People switch to linux every day, people switch to Apple every day. All depends on what you do with your system.

Riiiiiiiiiiigggghhhttt. :right:

I am just tired of responding to posts like these

People who insult other people, because they like another computer system, are ignorant. Mac's have one thing to offer that Windows probably won't have anytime in the near future.. Complete stability, and optimization.

Does explorer.exe really need to use 40MB? Windows XP, and Windows in general, has always been bloated.. While I love Windows for it's many good features, it could use tons of optimizing, and bug fixing. Instead, Microsoft releases version after version of Windows, and a few security patches here and there, but that's it. They don't spend enough time optimzing each copy of Windows, they just rush new versions out the door.

If only the Mac was compatible with pretty much everything I use, I'd switch to it as my primary system. But it doesn't, and probably never will. Same goes with Linux, although I could go on for hours discussing linux, I'll save that for another day.. :p

I'd come up with a witty, sarcastic comment about how bloated MS software is, how it constantly forces users to upgrade their hardware to utilize new "features", how that your logic is completely ignorant to be basic fact that, yes, taking into consideration the initial cost of the PC, yeah, it may be cheaper than a Mac, but it will also be obsolete *far* quicker than that Mac will, hence requiring near-constant upgrading to stay anywhere near current, resulting in inflated costs. All of the idiot threads wanting help on Windows, how to repair what they've screwed up...all in a vain, feeble attempt to emulate an enviroment in Windows that will never be attainable? That nearly all the software available for the PC is available for the Mac, minus all the stupid fluff crap *coughInfoBarcough*. Only it's running in a Unix enviroment, which is, was, and always will be more stable than anything Redmond can vomit out. I'd say all these things, plus many more...but...your post makes you look far more foolish than I could ever hope to. Good job!

:right:

XP has rarely rarely crashed on me..

how is it bloated? you mean, IE has outlook express in it too? msn messenger comes with free email? xp comes with free software? please. and remember, a pc does not mean windows. it can mean freebsd/linux/unix/etc - dont go telling me those are evil too :ponder:

yes, the initial cost of the pc is less, and that pc which you bought is ALREADY faster/better than a mac. now tell me, if its initially better, then over time, if the pc becomes obsolete, then the mac computer should become even more obsolete, correct? correct.

no, not all windows software is available for mac - in fact, hardly ANY is. yes, you will see big companies make products for mac as well, but they were meant for windwos and simply ported to mac later. look at ut2k3 - when played under d3d, it plays 400x better than on opengl (which is the only thing mac can use). almost ever peice of software is meant for the pc - you have to port it over to mac (if someone even does that) which takes additional months before you can use it. and by that time - something better is out.

and why are you flaming infobar? its a simple program that ive heard like 0 complaints for that shows you stats about your computer which is easily accessible. wheres the mac version for THAT? oh thats right, im not going to make one.

i agree *nix is more stable and more secure then microsofts current products, but its been in the business for 10 years +. give microsoft 10 years and see the kind of tight stuff they will produce. and remember - *nix is for pc too. (in fact, meant for pc).

i could go on but...your post makes you look far more foolish than I could ever hope to. Great job!

Originally posted by OutRigged.com

People who insult other people, because they like another computer system, are ignorant. Mac's have one thing to offer that Windows probably won't have anytime in the near future.. Complete stability, and optimization.

Does explorer.exe really need to use 40MB? Windows XP, and Windows in general, has always been bloated.. While I love Windows for it's many good features, it could use tons of optimizing, and bug fixing. Instead, Microsoft releases version after version of Windows, and a few security patches here and there, but that's it. They don't spend enough time optimzing each copy of Windows, they just rush new versions out the door.

If only the Mac was compatible with pretty much everything I use, I'd switch to it as my primary system. But it doesn't, and probably never will. Same goes with Linux, although I could go on for hours discussing linux, I'll save that for another day.. :p

Mac is based on *nix. *nix is meant for pc - your arguement is completely void because *nix is available (and meant for) the pc. and yes, windows/*nix has optimization - why do games run a LOT more efficently in windows than on mac? same can be said for thousands of apps. (remember, we are not just talking about windows, but *nix too).

Explorer is using 15mb right now - even if it was 40mb, can you not afford 256 ram for $25? - but - you can afford to pay $2000 for a mac system. i get it. and microsoft rushes releases out the door? please - how long have they been working on xp? i think 2 years before it was released, with 2600 builds and 200+ available for beta testing.

XP has rarely rarely crashed on me..

how is it bloated? you mean, IE has outlook express in it too? msn messenger comes with free email? xp comes with free software? please. and remember, a pc does not mean windows. it can mean freebsd/linux/unix/etc - dont go telling me those are evil too :ponder:

yes, the initial cost of the pc is less, and that pc which you bought is ALREADY faster/better than a mac. now tell me, if its initially better, then over time, if the pc becomes obsolete, then the mac computer should become even more obsolete, correct? correct.

no, not all windows software is available for mac - in fact, hardly ANY is. yes, you will see big companies make products for mac as well, but they were meant for windwos and simply ported to mac later. look at ut2k3 - when played under d3d, it plays 400x better than on opengl (which is the only thing mac can use). almost ever peice of software is meant for the pc - you have to port it over to mac (if someone even does that) which takes additional months before you can use it. and by that time - something better is out.

and why are you flaming infobar? its a simple program that ive heard like 0 complaints for that shows you stats about your computer which is easily accessible. wheres the mac version for THAT? oh thats right, im not going to make one.

i agree *nix is more stable and more secure then microsofts current products, but its been in the business for 10 years +. give microsoft 10 years and see the kind of tight stuff they will produce. and remember - *nix is for pc too. (in fact, meant for pc).

i could go on but...your post makes you look far more foolish than I could ever hope to. Great job!

You don't get it. You just don't get it. Does a Playstation 2 become obsolete as more games come out for it? Um...no. Why? Because the developers know exactly what sort of hardware capabilities to code for, hence it is optimized to fully utilize the capabilities of said system. Apple is able to do this because they manufacture the hardware *and* software. Hence, the more revisions of the OS they go thru, the more fine-tuned it will become? This is why Jaguar is faster than the initial releases of OS X. Can Microsoft do that with XP? Um...how are they going to optimize their software for the billion possible hardware and software combinations that are available for the PC platform? They can't. It's a miracle they have XP running as well as they do. Nope, they'll just keep raising the system requirements of Windows, and you'll keep buying new processors, motherboards...adding ram, getting larger HD's. Keep living in your delusional world of performance...it's all relative.

*nix is meant for the PC? Oh really? So AT&T designed unix to run on hardware that didn't exist yet when they initially started developing Unix? Um...ok? Sun designed Solaris to work on PC's? Good lord child...do you even pay attention to what you're saying? There is more to *nix than that hodge-podge mess called linux.

And I'm not really flaming Infobar, per say..I just think Winbar is far better.

Mac is based on *nix. *nix is meant for pc - your arguement is completely void because *nix is available (and meant for) the pc. and yes, windows/*nix has optimization - why do games run a LOT more efficently in windows than on mac? same can be said for thousands of apps. (remember, we are not just talking about windows, but *nix too).

Explorer is using 15mb right now - even if it was 40mb, can you not afford 256 ram for $25? - but - you can afford to pay $2000 for a mac system. i get it. and microsoft rushes releases out the door? please - how long have they been working on xp? i think 2 years before it was released, with 2600 builds and 200+ available for beta testing.

*nix is *not* meant for the PC. Linux and all the little free versions of *nix are, but all the big players design and market Unix for their own proprietary hardware. And with free...well...you get what you pay for. (Exception being Free/Net/OpenBSD, which I have no real complaints with). Glad you know so much about unix, Mr. Programmer. :right: