• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How many have Switched to Mac since OSX

Recommended Posts

azazel-    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

im getting the prices from pricewatch. these are current prices for products. mac: $2500 (yes CURRENT for same configuration) and $650 for oc (same configuration, CURRENT price)

Oh, so you are comparing an apple to how much it would cost you to build it off pricewatch. Not the actual system prices from the site. Nice...and I guess everyone on the planet knows how to build their own PC.

You're amazing in your narrowmindedness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VaxoP    0

i repeated because its hard proof im right. wheres your proof mac is better?

if this is your post then i will address it now:

It's the the point that I can't afford more memory, I've got 512MB of RAM right now, the point is, it simply shouldn't need to use that much RAM. It's poor coding, period. Also, it might not seem like they're rushing it, since it took ~2 years to develop, but keep in mind, some of the best games are in development for 4 years. You'd think Microsoft would spend more time optimizing the operating system that runs a good 90% of all consumer computers..

I currently use LiteStep, an alternitive shell for Windows, and it's considerably faster then explorer, uses less RAM, and yet, has more features.. Infact, alot more features. For what explorer does, it shouldn't even use half the RAM it does. As I said, poor coding.

youre right, it could very well be due to poor coding. but remember pc <> windows. that is, *nix is not poor coding, its stable, its secure. and also remember tho you have 512mb of ram and youre doing fine with it now, a mac comes with like 1gb of ram for some reason. i agree with you, explorer and microsoft may have not been too efficeint with their coding, but ive got 500mb of ram and i dont care if 30 goes to explorer so i can have a workspace to work with. i havent tried litestep, it might be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chad    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

i just saw this and it was pretty bizarre:

Mac - newest "best" model.

$4,999.00

Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4

256K L2 cache

& 2MB L3 cache/processor

167MHz System Bus

2.0GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM

120GB Ultra ATA drive

SuperDrive & Combo drive

NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium

56K internal modem

lets see how much that would cost for us pc users..

dual Athlon XP 1700 (yes 2 of the chips) $118. (and 1700 much greater than 1.25ghz)

Motherboard with the 256k L2 cache etc.. $100

2GB ram (unclear about what mac is selling - they say "DDR SDRAM - is that ddram or sdram??) - $255

120GB HD - $174

GeForce - $130

Modem - $10

total: ~$800. thats more than 6 times cheaper than a mac (in other words - 6 of those pcs capable of doing everything a mac can do, at the same speed, with more software, SIX of those will equal the price of one mac)... tell me - how long do you think that dual 1.25ghz processor will be usable? i think a year max. but when that computer gets outdated, ill need to sped $300 to upgrade to the top of theline computer, when you will spend $5000

Couple things you forgot. A good dual processor motherboard is not 100 dollars. Try at least 200 (has to include firewire) 2 gig of ddr ram at crucial will run you 720 dollars. GeForce 4 Ti will run you 225. Throw in your super drive and combo drive which will probably get pretty close to 400-500.

Course price doesn't matter if you want quality.

Ok now it's obvious you really don't have a clue. Take your 300 super upgrade every year and buy a clue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VaxoP    0
Originally posted by azazel-

Oh, so you are comparing an apple to how much it would cost you to build it off pricewatch. Not the actual system prices from the site. Nice...and I guess everyone on the planet knows how to build their own PC.

You're amazing in your narrowmindedness.

actually, i went to pricewatch and cclicked on "full systems" because i knew some people may say what you did. http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m43.htm is the link, notice the prices for a complete 2.4ghz system - $436. i added 50% to that price to try and stop posts like this, but i guess that wont work. so, hows this. instead of a pc costing $650 like i said previously, ill give the real price and say it costs $436. happy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kagaku    1
Originally posted by VaxoP

i repeated because its hard proof im right. wheres your proof mac is better?

if this is your post then i will address it now:

youre right, it could very well be due to poor coding. but remember pc <> windows. that is, *nix is not poor coding, its stable, its secure. and also remember tho you have 512mb of ram and youre doing fine with it now, a mac comes with like 1gb of ram for some reason. i agree with you, explorer and microsoft may have not been too efficeint with their coding, but ive got 500mb of ram and i dont care if 30 goes to explorer so i can have a workspace to work with. i havent tried litestep, it might be good.

Linux might be stable, decently coded, and secure, but it sure is ugly, and damn slow. And extremely un-userfriendly.

Windows doesn't exactly have a good GUI either.. And Mac's GUI is mainly eye candy. So far, LiteStep, is the only decent shell I can find, simply because it's 100% customizable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Redestium    1

Ultimately it really doesn't matter because at the end of the day Macs account for around 5 percent of the market share and are still partially owned by Microsoft. Face it, MS has us all in a strangle hold (unless you run some form of Unix OS X excluded) the difference is that Apple users are blind to it. Do you think that MS doesn't make any money when you buy your shiny new Mac loaded with OS X.whatever? Wake up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

i repeated because its hard proof im right. wheres your proof mac is better?

if this is your post then i will address it now:

youre right, it could very well be due to poor coding. but remember pc <> windows. that is, *nix is not poor coding, its stable, its secure. and also remember tho you have 512mb of ram and youre doing fine with it now, a mac comes with like 1gb of ram for some reason. i agree with you, explorer and microsoft may have not been too efficeint with their coding, but ive got 500mb of ram and i dont care if 30 goes to explorer so i can have a workspace to work with. i havent tried litestep, it might be good.

Minimum ram requirements for OS X are 128. You'd need about a gig of ram for high-end photo editing and graphics work. Obviously since you are clueless you don't know that. Standard outfitting for an ibook or imac is in the 128-256 range, which are what most home users would need in a home-level mac. Since you can't tell the difference between a professional-level graphics workstation and a home system, this is getting pretty depressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

actually, i went to pricewatch and cclicked on "full systems" because i knew some people may say what you did. http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m43.htm is the link, notice the prices for a complete 2.4ghz system - $436. i added 50% to that price to try and stop posts like this, but i guess that wont work. so, hows this. instead of a pc costing $650 like i said previously, ill give the real price and say it costs $436. happy?

And you really believe that professional graphics houses will be running a hodge-podge PC with parts bought off of pricewatch? Get real. Why not compare the Mac with the two damned PC's they compared it with in the article? No, because that looks too fair and similar. Grow up already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chad    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

ill have to upgrade every 2 years?

ok fine. lets see how mcuh we spend over 8 yeasr

to upgrade, it will cost me initial + 4(upgrades).. or, $800+4($200)=$1600.

you will upgrade every 4 years?

thats initial + 2 upgrades.

or $2500+2($2500) = $7500. do the math then complain please.

ok thx bye

You are so confused. You cannot spend 800 on a pc that will equal a Mac. To get the dual processors, the mboard, the ram, superdrive, combo drive, geforce4ti, windows and software you will be pushing 2500-300 easy. Now upgrading will cost more than 300 i assure you. To maintain your dual amd, 2 gig of ram etc, and throw in the rate that amd and intel switch chipsets, your looking at 500 just for 2 gigs of ram. add another 300 for processors and motherboard. 800 dollars. Do that 2 times in four years. You've just blown 4000 on a pc. Meanwhile I still have the same dual 1.25 mac that sill runs all the software, games, os etc. Add maybe one or two graphics card upgrades, 300, and we're about even. Add your newest 150 version of windows every year or two and you've spent more. ok thanks bye bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VaxoP    0
Originally posted by superfula

Couple things you forgot. A good dual processor motherboard is not 100 dollars. Try at least 200 (has to include firewire) 2 gig of ddr ram at crucial will run you 720 dollars. GeForce 4 Ti will run you 225. Throw in your super drive and combo drive which will probably get pretty close to 400-500.

Course price doesn't matter if you want quality.

Ok now it's obvious you really don't have a clue. Take your 300 super upgrade every year and buy a clue

the ram and geforce was addressed earlier, i added $1000 to my previous total to fix my error. (even though geforce4ti is not 225, more like 100, i still added 1000 instead of 700 or so). i dont have a clue wtf a super drive is or a combo, but whatever, 500 more? fine.

so subtract (mb + ram + video card) and add new values and you value for comboo drive and you get a new total of $1850 or so. compare that to the $5000 mac. and the pc has a LOT better performance too (as proven by benchmarks) of 60% or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chad    0
Originally posted by Mav Phoenix

Ultimately it really doesn't matter because at the end of the day Macs account for around 5 percent of the market share and are still partially owned by Microsoft. Face it, MS has us all in a strangle hold (unless you run some form of Unix OS X excluded) the difference is that Apple users are blind to it. Do you think that MS doesn't make any money when you buy your shiny new Mac loaded with OS X.whatever? Wake up.

M$ does not, and has never partially owned Apple. They bought some shares a few years ago and they have long been sold. M$ gets no money from OSX unless you buy Office v X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VaxoP    0
Originally posted by superfula

You are so confused. You cannot spend 800 on a pc that will equal a Mac. To get the dual processors, the mboard, the ram, superdrive, combo drive, geforce4ti, windows and software you will be pushing 2500-300 easy. Now upgrading will cost more than 300 i assure you. To maintain your dual amd, 2 gig of ram etc, and throw in the rate that amd and intel switch chipsets, your looking at 500 just for 2 gigs of ram. add another 300 for processors and motherboard. 800 dollars. Do that 2 times in four years. You've just blown 4000 on a pc. Meanwhile I still have the same dual 1.25 mac that sill runs all the software, games, os etc. Add maybe one or two graphics card upgrades, 300, and we're about even. Add your newest 150 version of windows every year or two and you've spent more. ok thanks bye bye

actually the total is $1850 - calculate it yourself www.pricewatch.com. why would i need to upgrade to 2gb ram when i already have 2gb of ram? i might need to get a dual chip every so often (2 years) and a motherboard, but that will cost me, what, $500 every 2 years or $1000 every 4? but it will cost YOU $5000 every 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

the ram and geforce was addressed earlier, i added $1000 to my previous total to fix my error. (even though geforce4ti is not 225, more like 100, i still added 1000 instead of 700 or so). i dont have a clue wtf a super drive is or a combo, but whatever, 500 more? fine.

so subtract (mb + ram + video card) and add new values and you value for comboo drive and you get a new total of $1850 or so. compare that to the $5000 mac. and the pc has a LOT better performance too (as proven by benchmarks) of 60% or so

Well, Mr. Well Informed, the Apple Superdrive is a combination CD Rom/DVD-ROM/CDRW/DVD+RW drive that all major high-end Mac's come with *standard*...including the iMac. Glad you took the time to find out what you're talking about. Show me benchmarks instead of talking out your ass. Take the time and find them since you're gonna quote statistics. Ok thnx bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
divinatum    2

ok this is the whole reason im getting a mac.. soon.. ok sometime in the future.. :right:

with XP if you want the latest and secure *cough*bs*cough* os, youd use windows update.. anyone read the EULA on windows update recently?? heres a intresting tidbit of info:

Windows Update Privacy Statement

Windows Update is committed to protecting your privacy. To provide you with the appropriate list of updates, Windows Update must collect a certain amount of configuration information from your computer. This information includes:

  • Operating-system version number and Product Identification number
  • Internet Explorer version number
  • Version numbers of other software
  • Plug and Play ID numbers of hardware devices

i dont want MS to take any info from my computer when i want to update my computer with a security patch or some kind of update to the system. when you buy any windows os you get spied on all the time by MS when you update your computer. (is that even legal??)

and apple doesnt take 11 weeks to re-code a HTML file, or atleast put a patch out for that help center bug in windows , if theres a flaw in osx, they fix it pretty fast.

if i could afford it thered be a iBook on my desk but unfortunatly (as you can see from my sig) i cant at the moment. so thats my reason for eventually :right: making the switch to apple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chad    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

the ram and geforce was addressed earlier, i added $1000 to my previous total to fix my error. (even though geforce4ti is not 225, more like 100, i still added 1000 instead of 700 or so). i dont have a clue wtf a super drive is or a combo, but whatever, 500 more? fine.

so subtract (mb + ram + video card) and add new values and you value for comboo drive and you get a new total of $1850 or so. compare that to the $5000 mac. and the pc has a LOT better performance too (as proven by benchmarks) of 60% or so

You don't know what a superdrive is? Oh man. A GeforceTi 4600 on pricewatch is 225 dollars. A superdrive is a dvd r/rw and cdr/rw in one drive. Yeah you upgrade your computer twice in four years to keep up with times is about 1800. But you need to add that to your initial investment to equal the current powermac, that will be 3000 including software, windows and all the prices I quoted. Your still paying more for some homebuilt hodgepodge of parts and I have a high quality Mac. Oh by the way, I will still get more money selling my Mac then you will selling your PC in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wing    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

the most important thing is performance right??

look at this you ignorant mac loving kiddies:

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07...cw_macvspc2.htm

looks like the p4 2.5ghz was a LOT faster than the mac machine. the mac machine costs $2499, where as the p4 computer would cost $650.

please, wheres your excuse now?

AHAHASHAHASDHOASEKeksajsekeas

A p4 machine for 650, a 2.5 one at that, YOU MAKE ME LAUGH FUNNY GUY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

actually the total is $1850 - calculate it yourself www.pricewatch.com. why would i need to upgrade to 2gb ram when i already have 2gb of ram? i might need to get a dual chip every so often (2 years) and a motherboard, but that will cost me, what, $500 every 2 years or $1000 every 4? but it will cost YOU $5000 every 4 years.

Will DDR run in a Rambus chipset motherboard? Will PC133 work on a DDR board? Get a clue already. Formats change, and change rapidly. What you buy today may be phased out by intel or amd tomorrow. That's what he means. Intel is already talking about a formfactor change for the P4 line, rendering all old motherboards obsolete *AGAIN*. K thnx bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sOma    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

i agree *nix is more stable and more secure then microsofts current products, but its been in the business for 10 years +. give microsoft 10 years and see the kind of tight stuff they will produce. and remember - *nix is for pc too. (in fact, meant for pc).

This logic is not very valid... because 30 years ago, we did not even have the technology we have now. When Microsoft started out in '81, the technology was better then than it was 10 years previously.

Now, it's 2002, and the most stable and reliable OS is still Unix... It's sort of funny that a 30-year-old OS is still the best OS we have today. Sad, in a way, that a company as rich as microsoft can't do better. You see, Microsoft has money on their side... they claimed to have put something like 3 billion dollars into Windows XP... (or at least a billion... correct me if I'm wrong) ... and Windows XP doesn't even compare to Unix... An extra ten years has nothing to do with it... Microsoft could easily buy that extra 10 years within a few months. There is no exscuse for the huge amount of holes and flaws in Windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chad    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

actually the total is $1850 - calculate it yourself www.pricewatch.com. why would i need to upgrade to 2gb ram when i already have 2gb of ram? i might need to get a dual chip every so often (2 years) and a motherboard, but that will cost me, what, $500 every 2 years or $1000 every 4? but it will cost YOU $5000 every 4 years.

As normal Intel/AMD procedure, your ram will not work with newer chipsets. Or don't you pay attention? And judging by current prices for 2 gig of ddr ram (600+), thats quite a bit of money. You will easily pay 800-1000 every two years to keep up with the Mac. And of course you can't pirate windows or programs. To get the functionality of OSX, well being on a pc you can't. But you have to take into accound at least 2 versions of windows running 150 each. Plus the software equivalent that comes with Macs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wing    0

VaxoP, instead of ignoring me, challenge my points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
persianpsycho    0

Unfortunately i purchased a new computer a few months back, so it's going to be a while before i get a new computer. But when i do, im definately getting a mac, im fed up with all the bs pc's have to offer. Theres a lot of good things about pc's, but its just not worth it. Sure, when i get a mac, i won't be able to test the latest betas off the net, but i can wait a week or two, even a month until a polished version comes out, thats completely stable. Face it gentlemen, apple is awsome. Greatest computers made are coming from them. They used to not offer much, but now with advances in technology and so on, macs have nearly everything you want. Its funny, the same people that say the mac sucks and such, are the same people who spend hours and hours downloading and creating a osX interface for windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VaxoP    0
Originally posted by azazel-

Well, Mr. Well Informed, the Apple Superdrive is a combination CD Rom/DVD-ROM/CDRW/DVD+RW drive that all major high-end Mac's come with *standard*...including the iMac. Glad you took the time to find out what you're talking about. Show me benchmarks instead of talking out your ass. Take the time and find them since you're gonna quote statistics. Ok thnx bye.

i DID post benchmarks - 3 times now. http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07...cw_macvspc2.htm. perhaps you should read instead of talking out your ass. ok thx bye.

superfula: windows <> pc. get unix if you want security. unix is there for pc. wing. youre an idiot. www.pricewatch.com. look how much a p4 2.4 ghz machine costs with all features and such.

azazel: perhaps. but intel doesnt inclue the entire pc market, amd does too. and when i was talking of upgrading, i added the cost of a new mb per upgrade too.

please people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Redestium    1
M$ does not, and has never partially owned Apple. They bought some shares a few years ago and they have long been sold. M$ gets no money from OSX unless you buy Office v X

Did some searching and it turns out you were right, they bought some non-voting shares I suppose as a ploy to show the government that they were playing fair and supporting other companies. However the market share figures are still accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

i DID post benchmarks - 3 times now. http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07...cw_macvspc2.htm. perhaps you should read instead of talking out your ass. ok thx bye.

superfula: windows <> pc. get unix if you want security. unix is there for pc. wing. youre an idiot. www.pricewatch.com. look how much a p4 2.4 ghz machine costs with all features and such.

azazel: perhaps. but intel doesnt inclue the entire pc market, amd does too. and when i was talking of upgrading, i added the cost of a new mb per upgrade too.

please people.

So, you will include benchmarks for systems (Dell, Dual AMD listed) when it's convenient, then talk about how cheap it is to buy some hodgepodge mess off of pricewatch? How convenient.

Oh, yeah...AMD and Intel are SOOO different. AMD didn't move to a cartridge design when Intel did...no, that never happened. And AMD didn't switch right back to a socket format right along with Intel. Nope, that didn't happen either. And that didn't completely *screw* damn near their whole users upgrade path...nope, that didn't happen either. Keep dreaming kiddo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chad    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

i DID post benchmarks - 3 times now. http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07...cw_macvspc2.htm. perhaps you should read instead of talking out your ass. ok thx bye.

Typical AMD user. Since when will you amd fan boys learn benchmarks really don't mean squat.

windows <> pc.

what does this mean?

get unix if you want security. unix is there for pc.

I have unix. It's called OSX. Unix is platform independant. It works on anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.