[UK] First Car

I second a Ford KA. It was my first car, I passed my test about a mont after my 17th birthday, and during that time had my dad take me around picking my sister up etc - it's really good practice i think personally to be able to drive under supervision while your prep'ing for your test. As for the KA's image... well... there are quite a few KA's modded up around here (Lancashire). Just make sure you get colour coded bumpers and if possible the standard spoiler ;). A couple month's after I passed my test I put ?900 worth of ICE in it haha:)) sounds good in small cars. Now after 2 years (turned 19 2 days ago) I just bought a Peugeot 306 XSi 2ltr!:DD. KA is an insurance group 2 by the way, probably looking around ?900 to insure it.

Oh and check out www.kaklub.co.uk

...not that i'm a boy racer or anythin:D:D

group 2 or group 3, depending on which ka it is

the KA luxuary / ka3 are group 3 i think

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys. It's helped a lot.

Basically, I am looking for something which is nice to drive, reliable and something that will get me from A to B really. I'll only use it really for going to and from work. I want to get something nice, but I don't want to overspend as it will be my first car, and it's important for me to remember that.

A Ford Ka is probably top of my list I think, because with the amount I'm able to spend I will be able to get a very nice model plus the insurance isn't too bad at all. Others I'm thinking about are a couple of VW's (Polo, Lupo) and maybe even an old Focus.

Keep the advice/suggesions coming guys!

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys. It's helped a lot.

Basically, I am looking for something which is nice to drive, reliable and something that will get me from A to B really. I'll only use it really for going to and from work. I want to get something nice, but I don't want to overspend as it will be my first car, and it's important for me to remember that.

A Ford Ka is probably top of my list I think, because with the amount I'm able to spend I will be able to get a very nice model plus the insurance isn't too bad at all. Others I'm thinking about are a couple of VW's (Polo, Lupo) and maybe even an old Focus.

Keep the advice/suggesions coming guys!

if you get an older one have a listen to the engine, see if you can test drive it abit, they changed the block on the engine in 02 the tappets on the KA can easily go out of adjustment.

Doesn't do the engine any damage or anything but it can get damn annoying when you keep hearing tap tap tap tap :rolleyes: .

as for reliablity of a KA havent had one long enough to say really, ive had a couple of things needed changing on mine (put a new aux drive belt/spark plugs, breaks) mind you mines a 1998 ka3 so its not exactly a new one.

i wouldnt worry about getting one with cd player you can buy a facia adaptor and fit a standard one, mine came with a ford cd player but it was the first thing to go as i changed it for an Mp3/wma/cd headunit to save myself needing to change cds when driving.

that and i think the KA stereos look like something that should be part of a fisher price toy :rofl: .

This is the least safe car ive ever driven.

Very low powered engine means you wotn get out of the way of any danger in time.

Drum brakes mean you wont stop any time soon after hitting the anchors.

The chasis / steering rack and transmition might as well all be made from paper.

its a cheap car, and it feels it.

avoid IMO, too many boy racer kids are getting these things and they are dangerous sheds ,and they arent even remotley fast even in comparison to other cars of the same engine size.

Even the front brakes are drums? :|

if you get an older one have a listen to the engine, see if you can test drive it abit, they changed the block on the engine in 02 the tappets on the KA can easily go out of adjustment.

Doesn't do the engine any damage or anything but it can get damn annoying when you keep hearing tap tap tap tap :rolleyes: .

as for reliablity of a KA havent had one long enough to say really, ive had a couple of things needed changing on mine (put a new aux drive belt/spark plugs, breaks) mind you mines a 1998 ka3 so its not exactly a new one.

i wouldnt worry about getting one with cd player you can buy a facia adaptor and fit a standard one, mine came with a ford cd player but it was the first thing to go as i changed it for an Mp3/wma/cd headunit to save myself needing to change cds when driving.

that and i think the KA stereos look like something that should be part of a fisher price toy :rofl: .

Youuuu forgot to mention that your brakes are ****ed. :p

My first car was a Peugeot 205 - had it for 18 months and it was the definition of cheap motoring. In retrospect it withstood my 'new driver' abuses (not letting it warm up, being far too rough with it, etc) but took it all in its stride despite only having a 954cc engine!

These days? Well you can't go too wrong with a Ford Ka - the engines are thrashy on them but they handle well, are comfortable, and pretty darn cheap to fuel/run/insure. But i'm also a Volkswagen man through and through so hard not to suggest a Lupo or Polo or sommat! :)

Don't be afraid of buying a slightly older model, getting a Haynes manual and rolling your sleeves up and having a go at repairing things on it yourself.. as you progress in years you'll really appreciate basic car mechanical skills rather than just taking it to a garage whenever something goes wrong! :)

Even the front brakes are drums? :|

Youuuu forgot to mention that your brakes are ****ed. :p

not anymore and was fairly cheap to fix., and i did mention my breaks needed work.

I'm now sort of thinking of delaying buying my first car, I've been thinking about waiting until I pass my test and then buying a brand new car. I'd get a years free insurance on some deals and it's sure tempting.

It would give me more money to spend on the car also.

I'm now sort of thinking of delaying buying my first car, I've been thinking about waiting until I pass my test and then buying a brand new car. I'd get a years free insurance on some deals and it's sure tempting.

It would give me more money to spend on the car also.

probably a good idea to wait till you've passed your test. Certianly worth getting the free insurance if they'll let you have it, just pay attention to the small print though to make sure your eligable for the free insurance.

free insurance??! thats def worth the wait.... insurance here in the US is very high, i would LOVE a year with free insurance.

I'm pretty sure that you guys get it a lot easier than we do over here. Young drivers like me (17) and most others will pay in excess of ?1200 on average for insurance on a <1.2 litre car.

Yeah...

Get a Peugeot 106 :D Not that i'm biased in my view or anything but they are so light you can fling them around everywhere

Somebody mentioned a Quiksilver - if you can get insured on it i'd advise it - 106 GTI looks for cheap. Or if you don't mind getting an older car try and get a mint Series 1 106 Rallye - 1.3 with 100bhp. Check out here.

I'm pretty sure that you guys get it a lot easier than we do over here. Young drivers like me (17) and most others will pay in excess of ?1200 on average for insurance on a <1.2 litre car.

Yeah...

oh... thats rough, for a small engine car. i thought that I was paying alot for my VR6

I passed my test almost 2 months ago now, and it's taken me this long to get my insurance and car fully 'sorted'!

First of all I had a Vauxhall Nova 1.5 Diesel. It was great, a bit of a banger tbh but it was quite quick and had good acceleration. Also my mum gave it to me so it didn't cost anything. I was insured temporarily on a month-by-month basis for an additional ?30 per month on my dads policy. I did this for 3 months (the maximum). Sadly, whilst learning to drive, an 'elderly gentleman' smashed into the back of the Nova and that was the end. Then I started shopping around for a new car and a permanent insurance policy.

The new car was fairly easy. I came within a whisker of buying a Vauxhall Corsa on eBay for ?700 but I was outbidded in the last 1 second of the auction. Next day at college my friend (also 17) offered me his Peugeot 306 for ?700 so I said yes please! It had 150k miles on the clock but as a disel i wasn't too worried. It passed it's MOT last month and it cost me ?23 in repairs so I'm chuffed! Fuel economy isn't the best but it easily does 40 miles to the gallon and if you had more to spend then you could get a smarter more efficient version, mine is 1996 they go up to 2000.

Insurance? I went with Kwik Fit. In my dads name it cost a mere ?669! Bargain!

Car? I reccomend a Peugeot 306. I love it, good handling, comfy, 4 doors which is great if you have a pile of mates! If you get a diesel only get a turbo!! The non-turbo just are poor performers in acceleration, top speed.

Hope this h:Dps :D

Yeah, that does help. Cheers guys.

I think I'm definately going to wait until I pass my test now, and then shop around and see whats an offer. I might end up spending a bit more and getting a brand new car, because there's some offers about which offer a years free insurance. That is very tempting, so we'll have to wait and see.

But I'm still open to advice and any recommendations from all of you.

Cheers again!

Go for anything that you like, although i would advise to stay away from french & italian cars, as they aren't known for reliability (i.e. fiat's, peugeots, citreon's...)...

Stay with either ford or any of the japanese makers (honda, toyota, nissan)....

It it was me, i'd look at the honda's in more depth, although they do tend to hold their value....

edit: i wouldnt buy a brand new car, as even though you get free insurance, it will lose more money as soon as you drive it out of the show room....

Go for anything that you like, although i would advise to stay away from french & italian cars, as they aren't known for reliability (i.e. fiat's, peugeots, citreon's...)...

Stay with either ford or any of the japanese makers (honda, toyota, nissan)....

Not that I don't like Honda's, especially the Civic, but my Peugeot's done over 153000 miles and is still going strong. I don't think it has ever had any really major repairs. How reliable do you need!?

Also free insurance would at best cover the cost of depreciation. You'd be better off getting a 1 year old car and then insuring it as your parents as one of the main drivers, you as a named driver.