searchindexer.exe disable

The reason why so many people are lost with both files and emails is due bad directory/file management in Windows. I have 400Gb storage place on my server and i know where is the every file etc stored, and really don't need index search to find it.

That is completely and utterly nonsense. I have all of my stuff organized in a very convenient and sensible directory structure, and I still use WDS every day (and did even before I came out here to work on it). For example, it's so very much faster for me to type a few letters into the Deskbar than it is for me to navigate 6 folders deep to get to a song I want to play.

The directory structure and file organization didn't change since Windows 3.11 and Vista continues to use the same principles. :no:

The default directory structure has changed significantly in Vista, though pretty much everything has an analog from 2000/XP.

And as a negative effect you have a problem of searching. Why would you need windows desktop search to search for file with extension, let's say *.doc if system saves those files under my documents and settings only in the system specified folder (call it wordDocs). System would know where to search for *.doc file which resides in one location namely directory and its subdirectories, safely can ignore rest of the XXXX folders on the hard drive. As a result you can really quickly find the file without using the indexing.

That's great if you only ever want to filter by type. But happens when I want to see all the documents that John sent me? Now the system has to grep my WordDocs folder, my PowerPoints folder, my ExcelFiles folder, my entire e-mail store, and countless other places. What if I want to find all the documents with "Vista beta 2" in them? Same deal, except now you have to grep the contents of every file on the disk (or at least in my user profile or wherever I store stuff, plus all of Outlook) which is extremely slow.

What if you wanted to search for a list of people that have sent you meeting requests in the last month? Good luck doing that without an index.

Windows Desktop search spends certain amount of time by doing indexing. And it's doing so often. The total amount i would spend to search for the files without using the windows desktop search is less then what windows desktop search spends by doing indexing meaning there is no real benefit, just different timing management which of course could be essential.

WDS indexing doesn't take up any of your time. It'll spend some CPU cycles when you're idle, but there's a huge distinction there.

Razer software doesn't change the cursor position, but form some reason OS thinks that the mouse is active, so windows desktop search never starts because it thinks that the computer is in the use. I don't think it's Razer software problem, because i tried it using only Windows XP Generic Mouse driver. Maybe, it's just the way mouse works and OS doesn't handle it well. My screensaver and power management is disabled.

Then why do you think the problem is mouse related? It sounds like it's not.

I tested razer mouse on two different machines, and symptoms were same. Windows Desktop Search never started indexing, even when i click Index now. After i click index now, it starts doing it for like 2-3 seconds and then stops. I switched the mouse to optical, and problem was solved. Of course I like my razer mouse more then windows desktop search:)

Then that has nothing to do with your mouse. If you click the "Index Now" button, it disables the back-off engine, so WDS won't be paying attention to user activity or mouse movement. It will just go until the index is up-to-date. Once it's up-to-date it will reset back to it's normal operation where it only indexes during idle time. That is, unless you enable the "prioritize indexing" option in the WDS control panel, which causes the index to always be up-to-date instantly.

The reason why so many people are lost with both files and emails is due bad directory/file management in Windows. I have 400Gb storage place on my server and i know where is the every file etc stored, and really don't need index search to find it. Having said that i barely use the regular search to find something. In order to fix directory structure in the windows i had to reorganize everything, manually and by using permissions. The problem is that system lets you save your files at any place you want, where overtime you get a such mess where i guess only index search can help you out to find the files you're looking for having the fact the station is used by multiple users.

How hard is it for you to understand that even though *you* don't need index search doesn't mean other do?

I'm a programmer. I receive a lot of mails related to work. Index search allows me to find out about a mail I received 2 weeks ago, based on the name of sender & a word that has meaning in the context of my search. All it takes using WDS is windows+S, then type from:someone contextword.

Also, as a programmer, I have TONS of source files to handle. I'm not talking of badass 400Gb of storage which I'd guess must look like 80 isos of 4Gb each, which indeed makes things easy to find back. I'm talking 45000 different source files, in 800 folders. Go find something manually in that case - a simple search takes a minute to complete. And I do have a raptor, mind you.

Anyway. Bottom line is, indexing is the logical next step, and it would be stupid not to take it. Storage keeps growing, the number of files kept by any user keeps growing, hence finding a specific file is BOUND to be harder. It's pure math. You might not care for it, others do, me included.

• 1 month later...
It's not hard to limit the actual user to save the files only into the my documents (whatever is called) folder which should be organized in such a way where the files with certain extension can go into certain folder.

search for file with extension, let's say *.doc if system saves those files under my documents and settings only in the system specified folder (call it wordDocs). System would know where to search for *.doc file which resides in one location namely directory and its subdirectories

Are you serious? Saving files in directories soley based on extensions? That would suck!

searchindexer is driving me up the walls. It started yesterday out of the blue and I left my PC running over night. Its still running at 100%. I need to go to taskmanager and delete it just to get onto my pc. I set it at low priority yet it still hogs 100% when I am doing anything. I take it there is something wrong with it. How do I permanently or temporarily stop it. Even in task manager I only have a few minutes after stop process then it starts up again.

I also thought within 'installed programs/ programs running' i could stop it there but it does not allow that. I also noticed about 10 programs installed with no name, does anyone else have this problem ? Running office 2007 and outlook as my mailer if that makes any difference.

Think for me the only option may be format C. Its a real pain because I am using a striped RAID system and its a pain to reinstall.

Thanks for any help

Davy

thats magic worked no more stupid search engine using up my CPU. I am annoyed why it went wrong though. Think as I have only put Vista on will probably do a full reformat and reinstall again to see if it self corrects. Do you think its a conflict with microsoft outlook as some seem to suggest ?

Thanks

Davy

• 4 weeks later...

Are you seeing these problems in the recent 54xx builds?

The indexer in 5472 should be pretty darn stable and fast.