• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

"High and Tight" Haircut -- what size clips?

Ayepecks    117

Odd question: I need to know what size clips are used for a "high and tight" haircut. It's a military haircut... I've been searching Google but I can't find what size clips they use for the clippers (or whatever they're called). I need to know what size for the sides and top... thanks!

Brandon C.    116

Well, they probably use a 2 on the sides and a 3 on top. I do a 2 everywhere and its pretty short.

Ayepecks    117

Well, they probably use a 2 on the sides and a 3 on top. I do a 2 everywhere and its pretty short.

That's actually what I was thinking... thanks! How's a 2 everywhere look?

t_bonerman02    0

Military Regulation high and tight or civilian equivalent? Military H&T is skin on the sides and a #2 on top (stop approximately just above the curve) with no fade. But be careful, some might suggest that you look phallicy if you catch my drift. Civilian... see above.

DreAming in DigITal    0

I use a 1 one the sides and 2 up top (Civilian Verison) :)...

psybapunk    0

anyone wanna post a pic?

t_bonerman02    0

I would then have to bow down to the wishes of the superiors and actually get the "regulation haircut". I'm USAF (A.K.A.: The Chairforce) and we pretty much outlawed that cut up until recently and now it's more encouraged (at my base) cause some think that we are moving back to the Army Air Corps. If you want a pi, however, google image: United States Marine Corps, they have the reg. cut down to a science at boot camp.

Ayepecks    117

anyone wanna post a pic?

Yeah, anyone got a picture of themself that has one? And if you do, can you say what clip sizes? If you don't want to post your pic online it's cool though.

Shof    0

I normally get a 2 on the sides and a 3 on top cut...and since it been a while...my hair has grown where it dont look like it now

gadean    0

As a US Marine I get angry when I see civilians with a military regulation haircut. Our way of living shouldn't be a fashion statement. Especially for those who have no idea what we go through on a day to day basis. It's an insult to us to see a nasty civilian walking around immitating something they are not. (and yes, just about any good Marine can point you out a mile away)

However, if you must know, it's 0 on the sides (not bare skin as someone previously mentioned. It's supposed to look like stubble) and up to 3" on the top without a fade. In order to maintain my military appearance I get my haircut at least once a week but I try and get it every 4 days.

gadean    0

google image: United States Marine Corps, they have the reg. cut down to a science at boot camp.

We do not get a high and tight during recruit training. We earn that privilage when we march across the parade deck on graduation day. During recruit training we are shaven pretty much bald (0 all around) until our last week and a half. At that time we are given a high regulation haircut but it's not very noticable.

Ayepecks    117

As a US Marine I get angry when I see civilians with a military regulation haircut. Our way of living shouldn't be a fashion statement. Especially for those who have no idea what we go through on a day to day basis. It's an insult to us to see a nasty civilian walking around immitating something they are not. (and yes, just about any good Marine can point you out a mile away)

However, if you must know, it's 0 on the sides (not bare skin as someone previously mentioned. It's supposed to look like stubble) and up to 3" on the top without a fade. In order to maintain my military appearance I get my haircut at least once a week but I try and get it every 4 days.

A) I'm not doing it for a fashion statement.

B) My brother is in the Air Force Academy. No one there he's talked to cares.

C) Since when did the military "own" this haircut? People have had similar haircuts for a long, long time.

I'm not getting the standard "high and tight." I was going to get my own haircut, for your information, but I wanted something to guage it on as I didn't want to go as short as a standard military haircut. I'm amazed there are some of you in the military who are offended that someone else might have a similar haircut. That's just sour grapes if you ask me. I've known many military officers (in fact, a friend had a dad who was a general), and none of them would care -- I promise you that.

t_bonerman02    0

gadean has a point though, we are forced to wear that haircut and it is a symbol of who we are. i think ayepecks is just trying to get a shorter crew cut if im hearing him correctly which is nowhere near our H&T.

thnx for the correction, i wasn't aware of the full bootcamp experience despite living in 29 til i was 18

Island Roots    0

I used to go 1 all around and trust me, that was short. Almost bald. ;)

gadean    0

C) Since when did the military "own" this haircut? People have had similar haircuts for a long, long time.

I'm not getting the standard "high and tight." I was going to get my own haircut, for your information, but I wanted something to guage it on as I didn't want to go as short as a standard military haircut. I'm amazed there are some of you in the military who are offended that someone else might have a similar haircut. That's just sour grapes if you ask me. I've known many military officers (in fact, a friend had a dad who was a general), and none of them would care -- I promise you that.

The high and tight is the traditional Marine Corps haircut. (if you don't believe me use Google and find out for yourself) Other service members get it because it's in regulation. We don't own the haircut. We own the lifestyle. However, to the common eye, the fashion vs. the lifestyle may not seem so definate. Do you now understand why it angers me?

TommyBoy    0

Kinda short? Must look bad?

I wouldn't know.

Sorry for posting!

:alien:

psybapunk    0

the USAFA huh? I'm up there at the different halls almost on a daily basis for the company I work for.

Bubble Wrap    0

Fcuk the high, go for the tight only and shave it!

gadean    0

thnx for the correction, i wasn't aware of the full bootcamp experience despite living in 29 til i was 18

29Palms, CA? I had a blast when I was there for MOS school! :)

Ayepecks    117

the USAFA huh? I'm up there at the different halls almost on a daily basis for the company I work for.

Pretty cool :) He graduates this year... he got a pilot's slot, too, which is good because it's what he's always wanted to do.

The high and tight is the traditional Marine Corps haircut. (if you don't believe me use Google and find out for yourself) Other service members get it because it's in regulation. We don't own the haircut. We own the lifestyle. However, to the common eye, the fashion vs. the lifestyle may not seem so definate. Do you now understand why it angers me?

No, I still don't understand why someone getting a similar haircut angers you. Perhaps if they were trying to imitate you or make fun of you I could understand it, but they're not. When did the haircut become a symbol of everything you stand for? When did the haircut make you superior to everyone else? I have nothing against the armed forces -- in fact, I support them -- but comments like that truly do anger me. You honestly look down upon people simply because of your lifestyle. I'm thankful you're defending the country, but if you're only looking out for yourself and don't consider the "common civilian" on equal ground with you, what's the point?

And, yes, I know the "high and tight" is a traditional Marine haircut.

John S.    359

22 years ago before I was old enough to sign, the recruiters in HS had me talked into joining, but dad wouldn't sign for me. While I was waiting to turn 18 I met who became my wife and changed the whole course I had originally planned. I've always looked back and wondered how life would've turned out had I been able to join, but I have no regrets. When admiring someone's tattoo not long ago a co-worker, who knows of my admiration for the Corps, stated I should get the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. I replied there's no way I could wear that because I haven't earned it, as you have. I'm rambling, but thanks for your service.

illicit    0

I used to go 1 all around and trust me, that was short. Almost bald. ;)

Yeah, I have done that before. :p

jwoair23    0

I have a similar haircut, and I don't think of it at all as "copying" the marine's or any other service. It is a style, a look, not a symbol of the Marine's. If he was trying to get a tattoo representing them, that I might understand. But unless he gets the haircut, and goes around wearing a Marine's shirt all the time, I really don't see anything wrong with it, and I think gadean is being too uptight about it. He respects what you do immensely, as do I, but he is not trying to copy or even imitate you, nor am I.

mattmatik    74

That's ridiculous. You might as well say that a white guy can never shave their head because it represents the lifestyle of a klansman. Nevermind the fact that some people like to shave their head because they hate dealing with their hair on a daily basis.

Anyway, in high school when I had that style haircut I used a 3 on top and 1 on the sides or I just used a 0 all over. In basketball, long hair can get annoying big time plus I liked not having to worry about it in the morning. Now I go for a 6 on top and 2 on the sides so I can style the top a bit.