question

It depends what A, B, and C are.

If A is "my car", and B is "red", and C is "a color", then A is not C.

But if A is 5 and B is 5 and C is 5, then A is C.

Is this one of them logical and illogical things where it can have a number of answers both A can be C but also A is not C..

I hate these they're so confusing =]

Yes Hypothetical Syllogism, if A then B is true and If b then c is true than if a then c

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning

If A is "my car", and B is "red", and C is "a color", then A is not C.

I'm may be wrong here but,

red is a colour isn't a premise, its a fact. It should be something like If A is "my car" which is B"colour red" and Color red is -> C than A -> C

Edited by davemania

it depends on what you mean by "is" (seriously). there is the "is" of predication, that is, to say that something walks, or that something is a male, which joins a singular term with a predicate like "walks" or "is male", and then there is the "is" of identity, to say that "x is y" is to say that "x = y".

a predicate is attached to a singular term. thus, we can form a simple, open sentence from a variable with a predicate. to say that x is F, we write, Fx. this is a schematic formulation, and Fx is not in the object language. it is merely indicates a position for a real predicate, like "is male" in the object language.

and unless you specify what the predicate is, you can't get anywhere. you can also try, "all F's are G's" and so on, but i'm not sure that that's what you're after.

finally, identity can be given up in favor of pure logic. one way to do this is to write identity as an abbreviation for a case in which replacing one term for another changes nothing (i.e., define all the possible n-place predicates).