DS Mic Overrated

Ok, anyone else here get anoyed witht he mic on the DS? It's just not...user friendly. You can't exactly sit on the bus and tell yoru nintendog to sit without looking like a dumbass, and on MKDS, you gotta blow into it to blow up balloons, and you again, look like an idiot using it. Anyone else have experiences feeling like an idiot while talking to your DS?

I don't have a problem with mine. I find that if you put your mouth real close, like if you put the DS up to your face, it doesn't work at all. But if you keep it the same distance away, it works fine.

It's user friendly.... it's just that you do in fact look like than idiot while doing it :p ... I don't have any of those games though. If you're embarrased, then don't play those games while on the bus, in public, etc.

Well this is a first, equating ones insecurities regarding how society views them with digital equipment not being all it's hyped up to be.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the connection.

Well this is a first, equating ones insecurities regarding how society views them with digital equipment not being all it's hyped up to be.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the connection.

who is insecure? I got no problem talking to a friend on a cell phone while on a bus on the way to class, but cmon saying, "bubbles, sit!" to some piece of plastic in your lap is just odd, or any other sort of voice commands you need for various games (my ds repertoire is pretty dismal right now thanks to the fekin 3$ a gallon gas prices, but hey, a budget is a budget). Maybe in japan it's ok to talk to your appliances, but here on this campus, any kid sitting by themselves yakin to their DS gets weird looks, maybe this is the only place I guess.

That doesn't make the DS' mic overrated. How else would you want a mic to work in the public? It's you who feels weird using it, doesn't mean it's overhyped or anything, it works like it should. If it makes you feel a bit better, you can purchase the headset earphones/mic soon (I think it's not out yet, but do correct me).

There are plenty of games that don't use the Mic, if you're worried about it I'd just play them when you're out. When playing Mario Kart, there's plenty to do other than battle mode, and there's a way to blow up the baloons without physically blowing. Games such as Brain Training actually check to see if you're in a place where you can use a microphone before starting microphone-driven games.

At the end of the day, it isn't a massive problem, and the new gameplay it allows is interesting and fun, so why complain?

well i just bought a nintendo ds (because of the new mario that is coming out soon... yea im a big fan of mario games lol) and i guess i would play that game in a place im sure people wont run away from me because they think im crazy :D

who is insecure? I got no problem talking to a friend on a cell phone while on a bus on the way to class, but cmon saying, "bubbles, sit!" to some piece of plastic in your lap is just odd, or any other sort of voice commands you need for various games (my ds repertoire is pretty dismal right now thanks to the fekin 3$ a gallon gas prices, but hey, a budget is a budget). Maybe in japan it's ok to talk to your appliances, but here on this campus, any kid sitting by themselves yakin to their DS gets weird looks, maybe this is the only place I guess.

Well maybe you just care more about that stuff than I do. I have the mentality that if I'm doing what I enjoy and you think it's funny / odd / stupid, so be it. I could care less. Skateboarding has taught me that. I get used to get laughed at by people for being as old as I am and still using it as transportation. I get a lot more out of skating somewhere than I do driving there though, **** em.

Regardless of how insecure you are, this is still completely irrelevent to the quality of the mic in the first place.

Im with Raum here. The hardware is perfectly fine.

But you have chosen to play a game that involves you doing things that you feel are embarassing, and then you chose to do it in public.

If you value your supposed "self image" so highly, simply do not play these games in situations where you will be exposed to the public.

But here's a thing: People will look, realise you are plying a game, and not care. That represents about 5% of people. The other 95% won't even give a crap what you are doing as they will also be nicely self-involved too.

Just because you feel like an ass using it doesn't mean it's a bad piece of hardware.

i think microphones and computer stuff just doesnt mix....

Really? By the way things are going, it looks the way forward.

Heh, this reminds me of Trigger Happy TV

'ELLO? WHAT? I'M IN THE CINEMA! NO! I SAID IM IN THE CINEMA! NO I CAN TALK! WHAT?

awesome show! or it was before Comedy Central (or was it VH1?) bastardized it.

but cmon saying, "bubbles, sit!" to some piece of plastic in your lap is just odd

I would be a little worried if I seen someone on the bus doing that :laugh:

My mate has a DS and he's told me the microphone makes it really interesting to play games. I've yet to use it in a game though.