Best 40-42" LCD On The Market Right Now?

I am in the market for a 40" LCD. I was looking at the Sony V40XBR1 and it got pulled recently for the KDL-40S2000. A model with a CableCard is apparently coming out soon. I know there must be a bulletin board where people are keeping track of new models and reviewing them but I haven't been able to locate such an enthusiast site.

Like the title says, I'm in the market for a 40" LCD. I know Sharp, Sony and Samsung have some good models but I need to get some suggestions on specific models and pointers on how to keep up on the changing marketplace.

I understand that CableCard, HDMI, and PIP would be nice features to have. Any recommendations on what else I should be looking for and a site or magazine where I can really start to educate myself on the search?

Thanks!!!

The XBR1 didn't get pulled for the s2000, the a10 was the one that got pulled, I believe. If you can't find it, the Samsung 40" LN-S4051d (i think thats the model) would be the best since it uses the same panel.

The XBR1 didn't get pulled for the s2000, the a10 was the one that got pulled, I believe. If you can't find it, the Samsung 40" LN-S4051d (i think thats the model) would be the best since it uses the same panel.

Any thoughts on where to research this information? I'm not necessarily tied to this particular panel, just the highest quality and most features for this size screen.

Well, anything you need to know I could probably answer for you. I work with these sets so I pretty much have first hand experience with a nice percentage of the products on the market.

Well, anything you need to know I could probably answer for you. I work with these sets so I pretty much have first hand experience with a nice percentage of the products on the market.

I would really appreciate that.

1) What's your opinion on which 40-42" LCD offers the highest quality picture on the market now?

2) Screen quality aside, which offers the best combination of features?

3) What's the difference between the Samsung LNS4041D 40" and the LN-R408D 40"?

4) What do you think of the Samsungs in contrast to the Sonys and Sharps?

5) What's ATSC, DVI, and HDMI? ATSC allows over the air reception, DVI allows you to use the screen as a computer monitor and HDMI is the highest quality connection right now?

6) What's the difference between the Sony KDL40S2000 and the Sony XBR 40"?

If you want, we can take this off the boards as well.

Thanks!

If you want, we can take this off the boards as well.
No, no. Please don't take this off the boards. I'm thinking of buying a sweet screen too and I need some sources to help me out.

1. Right now the best sets would either be the Sony KDLV40XBR1 or the Samsung LN-S4092D (the samsung would be the better of the two).

2. LG sets usually offer the most features but generally lack in video quality. This year's models in your size range have SEVERE backlight bleeding issues.

3. 408D is the older model. Off the top of my head, I believe it has a 12ms (may be 8 on later models, though those sets have a lower resolution of 1280*720) response and 1 hdmi port where as the 2041D should have an 8ms panel and 2 hdmi ports.

4. That's a tough one. The Sharp's have a much finer picture while samsungs tend to have the best sharpness and excellent colors. The Sony XBR has the best tones. The s2000 Sony is decent, but tends to be a bit too bright.

5. An ATSC tuner allows you to use an OTA antenna to get your local channels in HD or, when used with a cablecard (on sets with a cablecard slot) get your cable without using a box. DVI is the predecessor to the now mainstream HDMI. DVI only carries video while HDMI carries video and audio.

6. Stats wise, the s2000 has better numbers, but, as I tell my customers, put down the numbers and use your eyes. The XBR set has mucn more natural tones. Images tend to look more lifelike unlike on the s2000 where the very bright backlight tends to look a bit forced and adds a harshness to the colors. I've also noticed, on some s2000 sets, a "hot spot" in the middle where the backlight is seeping through.

I'd prefer to keep it all here. This may save me some posting in the future lol.

1. Right now the best sets would either be the Sony KDLV40XBR1 or the Samsung LN-S4092D (the samsung would be the better of the two).

2. LG sets usually offer the most features but generally lack in video quality. This year's models in your size range have SEVERE backlight bleeding issues.

3. 408D is the older model. Off the top of my head, I believe it has a 12ms (may be 8 on later models, though those sets have a lower resolution of 1280*720) response and 1 hdmi port where as the 2041D should have an 8ms panel and 2 hdmi ports.

4. That's a tough one. The Sharp's have a much finer picture while samsungs tend to have the best sharpness and excellent colors. The Sony XBR has the best tones. The s2000 Sony is decent, but tends to be a bit too bright.

5. An ATSC tuner allows you to use an OTA antenna to get your local channels in HD or, when used with a cablecard (on sets with a cablecard slot) get your cable without using a box. DVI is the predecessor to the now mainstream HDMI. DVI only carries video while HDMI carries video and audio.

6. Stats wise, the s2000 has better numbers, but, as I tell my customers, put down the numbers and use your eyes. The XBR set has mucn more natural tones. Images tend to look more lifelike unlike on the s2000 where the very bright backlight tends to look a bit forced and adds a harshness to the colors. I've also noticed, on some s2000 sets, a "hot spot" in the middle where the backlight is seeping through.

I'd prefer to keep it all here. This may save me some posting in the future lol.

First of all, thanks for all the input! What a nice thing to do!

I do like the Samsung LN-S4092D right now. I was just looking at its specs before you posted again. It seems to have great specs and you think the picture also looks great.

So...

1. I think the Samsung is pretty new. I'm seeing it online now for about $2300. How fast are prices dropping on LCD TVs right now? I think I'm ready now but I would hate it if something nicer was set to come out on the market soon that was better and cheaper. I realize it's inevitable but are there any big changes coming down the pike?

2. Is getting a set without CableCard a mistake? I guess I could hook up a 3G TiVo up to it whenever it appears later this year but do you think I'll regret not having it now?

3. From what I can tell, the Samsung has PIP but only one tuner. How would I add dual tuner capability to it?

4. Anything else you can think of that your customers ask often that I may want to keep in mind?

Thanks again!

Yeah, let's keep this on the boards. I think others are reading this as well!

Aren't plasmas better than LCD's? I haven't kept up on whats better than what. I plan on getting a 42" plasma.

I think the difference in picture quality has closed significantly. As the pic quality becomes better, LCDs are better because they are lighter, are less fragile, run cooler. I used to think burn-in was an issue with plasmas but I think you need to log a significant number of hours for that to happen. Still, it can happen and plasma brightness also degrades over time. My understanding is LCDs will eventually replace plasmas, just not right now. Plasmas are also cheaper now.

1. Nothing coming this year. Sony is going to release their newer XBR sometime this summer, but I'm really not sure when. The prices on new LCD's probably won't drop noticeably for another 3 months or so.

2. I think the current implementation of CableCard is a waste. You lose your guide and on-demand functionality. CableCard 2.0 is supposed ot hit the market next year, I believe, and only then will it really be worth it. It will allow for use of the guide, on-demand functionality, and dual feeds per card.

3. If I'm not mistaken, the PIP cna use different inputs. Say you have your cable box on the HDMI and DVD on component. You *should* be able to split screen those.

4. I get a lot of dumb question, but yours are definitely a relief.

When shopping around, you should consider a few things. First off, shipping costs. Then take into account the store's return policy. Brick and mortar stores like BB or CC allow returns for whatever reason (ie. dead pixels on opening).

If the store you buy it from has an optional service plan, take a look at it. Does it cover dead pixels? How long is it? How much does it cost? I work for Best Buy and I know how much people hate extended warranties (as do I), but sometimes it's worth it.

You also want to take into account cabling. Whether you buy Monster cables or another brand, get good cables. Make sure they are thick and appear to be built well. If you want good quality cables without a huge cost, check out cables from AR.

Finally, be careful of quick talking salesman. Don't blindly agree or blindly disagree. I'm a very honest salesman, but I work with people who tend to make stuff up because they lack the information neccessary to make the sale. If in doubt, come back here and I can try to clarify/verfiy information.

1. Nothing coming this year. Sony is going to release their newer XBR sometime this summer, but I'm really not sure when. The prices on new LCD's probably won't drop noticeably for another 3 months or so.

2. I think the current implementation of CableCard is a waste. You lose your guide and on-demand functionality. CableCard 2.0 is supposed ot hit the market next year, I believe, and only then will it really be worth it. It will allow for use of the guide, on-demand functionality, and dual feeds per card.

3. If I'm not mistaken, the PIP cna use different inputs. Say you have your cable box on the HDMI and DVD on component. You *should* be able to split screen those.

4. I get a lot of dumb question, but yours are definitely a relief.

When shopping around, you should consider a few things. First off, shipping costs. Then take into account the store's return policy. Brick and mortar stores like BB or CC allow returns for whatever reason (ie. dead pixels on opening).

If the store you buy it from has an optional service plan, take a look at it. Does it cover dead pixels? How long is it? How much does it cost? I work for Best Buy and I know how much people hate extended warranties (as do I), but sometimes it's worth it.

You also want to take into account cabling. Whether you buy Monster cables or another brand, get good cables. Make sure they are thick and appear to be built well. If you want good quality cables without a huge cost, check out cables from AR.

Finally, be careful of quick talking salesman. Don't blindly agree or blindly disagree. I'm a very honest salesman, but I work with people who tend to make stuff up because they lack the information neccessary to make the sale. If in doubt, come back here and I can try to clarify/verfiy information.

1. When you say "noticeably", you mean a few hundred dollars or more than that?

2. Foregoing CableCard now, I could buy some kind of external device for the TV right, say a DVR that supports CableCard 2.0 in the future?

3. How would I implement dual tuners on the TV? Is there some kind of external tuner I could add?

4. I only sound like I know what I'm asking because you're being patient enough to explain it all! LOL.

5. How common are dead pixels? I had wondered if it was worth it to spend a little more at a brick and mortar.

6. I had researched the AR brand cables. Monster seemed overpriced. Thanks for confirming that.

7. If you had it to do, would you buy the TV now or wait to see some future offerings?

Thanks again...

1. Noticeably would refer to $200 or more.

2. TIVO has alreayd stated (at CES earlier this year) that a future box will offer CableCard 2.0 slots.

3. Two cable boxes or buy an external ATSC tuner.

5. It's hit and miss. I know we have an LG at work (display model) that had a dead pixel out of the box. Most manufacturers and online website have an 8 or more dead pixel policy before allowing returns. I'd shop around carefully and buy at a brick and mortar store. Look for the place with the lowest price and best return policy.

7. Now is as good of a time as ever, honestly.

1. Noticeably would refer to $200 or more.

2. TIVO has alreayd stated (at CES earlier this year) that a future box will offer CableCard 2.0 slots.

3. Two cable boxes or buy an external ATSC tuner.

5. It's hit and miss. I know we have an LG at work (display model) that had a dead pixel out of the box. Most manufacturers and online website have an 8 or more dead pixel policy before allowing returns. I'd shop around carefully and buy at a brick and mortar store. Look for the place with the lowest price and best return policy.

7. Now is as good of a time as ever, honestly.

I'll do some shopping this weekend and let you know how it turns out. I guess I liken flat screens to computers. The pace of technology moves so fast that if you want one now, you just buy one now.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm sure you helped others as well.

Don't take offense at this but you're way too smart to be working at BestBuy. LOL!

I'll do some shopping this weekend and let you know how it turns out. I guess I liken flat screens to computers. The pace of technology moves so fast that if you want one now, you just buy one now.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm sure you helped others as well.

Don't take offense at this but you're way too smart to be working at BestBuy. LOL!

Well, I'm glad to have been a help. Anything else comes to your mind, just pop back in to this thread.

Well, I'm glad to have been a help. Anything else comes to your mind, just pop back in to this thread.

Well, I think I've decided to hold off just a tad longer for the Samsung LN-S4096.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/f...s4096_final.pdf

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=657002

This model has both 1080p and a CableCard slot. It's set to hit the market in June; have you heard anything about when this model will hit store shelves?

I've heard a bit, but it was from a Samsung rep so I'm a bit skeptical to believe him blindly. I've seen the 4692, the 768p version and it looks gorgeous, so I'm assuming the higher spec'ed 4696 would look better. I'm not sure I'll be getting any first hand experience with it soon, though, so I can't make any promises about reporting back.

I've heard a bit, but it was from a Samsung rep so I'm a bit skeptical to believe him blindly. I've seen the 4692, the 768p version and it looks gorgeous, so I'm assuming the higher spec'ed 4696 would look better. I'm not sure I'll be getting any first hand experience with it soon, though, so I can't make any promises about reporting back.

Just to clarify, I was looking toward the 4096 which is the 40" model. I understand the 40" model will hit the store shelves earlier than the 46" model. Aesthetically, the pictures look great but I'd like to actually see it in person before committing to it. If it does hit your store's shelves in June, I'd love to get your opinions on it. It didn't make sense to me to not wait another month for a 1080p model when I was looking forward to Blu-Ray and PS3s down the line. Thanks!

Well, I think I've decided to hold off just a tad longer for the Samsung LN-S4096.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/f...s4096_final.pdf

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=657002

This model has both 1080p and a CableCard slot. It's set to hit the market in June; have you heard anything about when this model will hit store shelves?

Are sure this is hdmi 1.3 comliant? because the pdf says "Component video input (Y,Pb,Pr)

(480i/480p/720p/1080i)" wouldnt that make it oneof those 1080p tv sets without the ability to input 1080p signal?

Are sure this is hdmi 1.3 comliant? because the pdf says "Component video input (Y,Pb,Pr)

(480i/480p/720p/1080i)" wouldnt that make it oneof those 1080p tv sets without the ability to input 1080p signal?

Read the AVS forum thread.

I think 1080p is through the HDMI, the component in is 1080i.

oh god I love these threads. They are so useful and plenty infos which I beleive can be good for many of us thinking to buy new LCD/plasma panels

right on (Y)

For the record, HDMI 1.3 is not needed for 1080p. The current specs support the resolution, however it costs more for manufacturers to include the support and, until now, there's been no such content. It's fully possible, though, for a set not to have the HDMI 1.3 spec and have 1080p support.

For the record, HDMI 1.3 is not needed for 1080p. The current specs support the resolution, however it costs more for manufacturers to include the support and, until now, there's been no such content. It's fully possible, though, for a set not to have the HDMI 1.3 spec and have 1080p support.

OK, that makes sense but what's the point of having 1080p support if you can't get a signal into the TV to show 1080p?

Is this a correct statement: the 4096D can display 1080p through HDMI and only through HDMI even though the HDMI is not HDMI 1.3? Thinking to the second half of the year, if one were to pick up a TiVo Series 3 or a Playstation 3, you would be able to plug these into the TV via HDMI and display a 1080p picture (assuming you get HD cable and have HD games to play)?