Best 40-42" LCD On The Market Right Now?

Correct. Even though there's no 1080p content, current HDMI spec'ed ports CAN accept 1080p if the manufacturer chooses to include the support. The only real problem is the fact that almost no one (in previous years, mostly) chose to spend the money to include the extra support. There's a good chance this trend will continue, even after HDMI 1.3 lands.

Correct. Even though there's no 1080p content, current HDMI spec'ed ports CAN accept 1080p if the manufacturer chooses to include the support. The only real problem is the fact that almost no one (in previous years, mostly) chose to spend the money to include the extra support. There's a good chance this trend will continue, even after HDMI 1.3 lands.

You mean the TV manufacturer chose not to include 1080p support, right? If the TV says 1080p in its specifications, it means the TV has the extra support. I need nothing else other than a HDMI cable and a device that will output 1080p, right?

What is the benefit of HMDI 1.3? Higher throughput? I can't find much on HDMI 1.3 except that the new PS3 will have it.

You mean the TV manufacturer chose not to include 1080p support, right? If the TV says 1080p in its specifications, it means the TV has the extra support. I need nothing else other than a HDMI cable and a device that will output 1080p, right?

What is the benefit of HMDI 1.3? Higher throughput? I can't find much on HDMI 1.3 except that the new PS3 will have it.

On your first point, correct,

The major benefit of HDMI 1.3 is uncompressed digital audio, unlike what they use now.

^^ thanks for clarifying

Just a quick question, how does the contrast ratio on an LCD TV like this one compare with the contrast ratio of a plasma TV, for example this one says 6000:1 would that be say the equivalent of 10000:1 of a plasma or am I missing something?

No, contrast ratios are the same value for both plasma and LCD meaning 4000:1 on an LCD is the same as 4000:1 on a plasma.

However, there is a catch in the fact that LCDs with high contrast ratios, like this one, use software to accomplish the rate. Unfortunately, I can't find the hardware rating of the panel, but I know last year's models, which sported a 3000:1 contrast ratio were only 1000:1 before the software made up for the rest.

I know you said LCD, but, my friend has the Panasonic TH-42PX500U, and it is a very nice TV. (Not as nice as my SXRD :-) )

The black levels on this TV is great, and, the picture is beautiful with vibrant colors.

TH-42PX500U

This Westinghouse seems intersting to me because it's one of the few TVs I have found that says it supports 1080p on all inputs(DVI, HDI, & PC). I find that interesting because not even the high-end Mitsubishi claims that. Am I mistaken or does this TV support some new features?

Personally I am looking to get around a 60"-73" DLP either Mitsubishi or Samsung, but I stubled upon this Westinghouse that has all the features I want for use with my media center PC but it is just not big enough (yes, I said not big enought because the way my room is setup I will be about 17' from the TV when sitting on the couch).

This Westinghouse seems intersting to me because it's one of the few TVs I have found that says it supports 1080p on all inputs(DVI, HDI, & PC). I find that interesting because not even the high-end Mitsubishi claims that. Am I mistaken or does this TV support some new features?

Personally I am looking to get around a 60"-73" DLP either Mitsubishi or Samsung, but I stubled upon this Westinghouse that has all the features I want for use with my media center PC but it is just not big enough (yes, I said not big enought because the way my room is setup I will be about 17' from the TV when sitting on the couch).

Bangbang023, what do you know about this model? Have you seen this LCD's picture personally?

I have seen the Westinghouse as we have an HD-DVD player connected to it. It is god awful. I know I say that about Westinghouse a lot, but some of their sets are acceptable for some people. However, the black levels are horrendous and colors appear very washed out and unnatural.

I have seen the Westinghouse as we have an HD-DVD player connected to it. It is god awful. I know I say that about Westinghouse a lot, but some of their sets are acceptable for some people. However, the black levels are horrendous and colors appear very washed out and unnatural.

HAHA! Thanks for the opinion. I'll pass on the Westinghouse.

They can't bring the new Samsung to market fast enough.

BTW I need an HTS too and I was eyeing the Philips HTS-9800W. I know it would be better to drop on separate components but I don't want to drop that much on a stereo. Any thoughts on this system or are HTS outside of your sales purvey?

Home Theaters in a Box are a bit of a conundrum as you are never going to get that great of a sound from them, though some are acceptable for the average user. Do you have a price range you're looking at? That would help me pick a decent one for you.

Home Theaters in a Box are a bit of a conundrum as you are never going to get that great of a sound from them, though some are acceptable for the average user. Do you have a price range you're looking at? That would help me pick a decent one for you.

I was looking at the Philips HTS-9800W and the Sony DAV-FX100W. These systems are running about $600-$700. The form factors and the wireless rear speakers are major selling points to me as well as the ability to upconvert DVDs. I don't think I'd have much HD content to feed into the TV right away so the upconverting would allow me to enjoy content until HD becomes more prevalent. These two systems were the only ones that seemed to meet that criteria. The wireless rear speakers are hard to find still as of right now.

I'd avoid wireless rears on systems like this, to be honest. Wireless generally equals poorer sound. I'd recommend this system. Probably the first Sony I've ever recommended. However, with it's upconverting DVD player and receiver with HDMI switching, it's a steal:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....heater_HTSeries

I'd avoid wireless rears on systems like this, to be honest. Wireless generally equals poorer sound. I'd recommend this system. Probably the first Sony I've ever recommended. However, with it's upconverting DVD player and receiver with HDMI switching, it's a steal:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....heater_HTSeries

It's rather ugly, isn't it? I appreciate the XM and the HDMI upconverting but... the wireless is an issue. I can't run wires from the stereo to the sofa. And at least for the Sony, I've read the wireless does not really downgrade the audio quality. Plus the looks is an issue for the stereo. Take a look at the two systems. Can you at least recommend something that looks a little better?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V9I8...glance&n=172282

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/new...number=11039287

Since we are already off the original topic: bangbang023 what do you know about the Samsung HL-R6768W 67" DLP TV? BestBuy carries it in the Magnolia Home Theater but it is no where to be found on Samsung's website. What info do you know about it?

Ok I found the info on samsung's website:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLR6768WXXAA.asp

Still what is your opinion and what does "Full HD 1920 x 1080p digital format converter for all inputs" mean since they say that the only thing that supports 1920X1080 is the RGB PC-Input?

Thanks

Edited by Chad Sexington

• 3 months later...

I won't recommend either. That Sony lacks mid range serverely and I've never heard the philips.

So after patiently sitting out the summer to wait for 1080p... (!)

the Samsung LN-S4696D and the Sony KDL-46XBR2 now seem to be available in increasing volume. What's your opinion on both and do you have a preference on one over the other?

Thanks!

Since we are already off the original topic: bangbang023 what do you know about the Samsung HL-R6768W 67" DLP TV? BestBuy carries it in the Magnolia Home Theater but it is no where to be found on Samsung's website. What info do you know about it?

Ok I found the info on samsung's website:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLR6768WXXAA.asp

Still what is your opinion and what does "Full HD 1920 x 1080p digital format converter for all inputs" mean since they say that the only thing that supports 1920X1080 is the RGB PC-Input?

Thanks

I'm sorry I never saw your post. fter seeing Sony's SXRD next to the Samsung, though, I'd only go with the Sony.

So after patiently sitting out the summer to wait for 1080p... (!)

the Samsung LN-S4696D and the Sony KDL-46XBR2 now seem to be available in increasing volume. What's your opinion on both and do you have a preference on one over the other?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I have yet to see the XBR2. I'll update you as soon as I can.

I'm sorry I never saw your post. fter seeing Sony's SXRD next to the Samsung, though, I'd only go with the Sony.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see the XBR2. I'll update you as soon as I can.

I'll look for your recommendation as soon as it posts. Do you have an ETA? If any other LCDs are comparable or worth mentioning, I'm not wedded to either the Sony or the Samsung.

Thanks so much...

What about the Sharp AQUOS line of LCDs?

I haven't seen their 1080p sets, but their midrange sets are pretty good. They offer a smooth picture, but lack the aesthetics and colors of the Sammy and Sony counterparts.

I assume you haven't seen the new Sony and Samsung's yet still. I can't wait to get the opinion of someone who knows what's he's talking about...

I saw the Sony XBR2 finally. It took some work with the image settings, but the picture is definitely nice looking. This is one of the few sets where vivid mode even looks bad in the store lol. The only issue I may wind up having with it, is the fact there seems to be some pixelation is decently fast motion.

I saw the Sony XBR2 finally. It took some work with the image settings, but the picture is definitely nice looking. This is one of the few sets where vivid mode even looks bad in the store lol. The only issue I may wind up having with it, is the fact there seems to be some pixelation is decently fast motion.

Well, pixelation in a next generation LCD that is supposed to support 1080p is not good, right? The recommendation you had made a few months ago was the Samsung and I'm assuming the 40/4696Ds have not yet come into the store?

You work at BB, right? Maybe it's time for me to swing by and look at the XBR2. The only thing I disliked was how big the bezel around it seemed. If image quality suffers too, then I'm dying to hear your thoughts on the Sammy when it comes in...