Cyberlink's PowerDVD 7 Deluxe/Standard

most of the things changed are in UI only, as the latest build of version 6 already supported H.264 etc

now if only they could somehow, remove that AD from the main window, i mean that girl in goggles with a normal black screen

most of the things changed are in UI only, as the latest build of version 6 already supported H.264 etc

now if only they could somehow, remove that AD from the main window, i mean that girl in goggles with a normal black screen

What about the A) DTS-ES Matrix, B) DTS-ES Descrete and C) DTS Neo:6 ? Supporting if im not mistaken the BRay and HDDVD discs?

Edited by [DGS]

You can edit the skin by editing Mercury.dll with a Resource Hacker. :)

Here's a screenshot of my edited skin...

? ?post-20663-1146736576_thumb.jpg

You can change the colour themes by right clicking the time display.

It also has a Taskbar Skin (Right click on the Taskbar -> Toolbars -> Select PowerDVD 7).

You can edit the skin by editing Mercury.dll with a Resource Hacker. :)

Here's a screenshot of my edited skin...

post-20663-1146736576_thumb.jpg

You can change the colour themes by right clicking the time display.

It also has a Taskbar Skin (Right click on the Taskbar -> Toolbars -> Select PowerDVD 7).

wow thats awesome man btw is that v6 or v7?

i m right now using the black color theme, as it matches my Vista like UI

anyway, i will try the resources hacker trick u said herby

:yes:

Indeed, Intervideos AC3 parser is also far better with richer sound (I have component audio connected to floorstanding speakers) - the difference is quite vast and I use MPC for playing DVDs with windvds AC3 parser playing the audio.

I tried powerdvd before too and the video "effects" are just gimmicks really to add to the featurelist so average joe can find a better reason to buy into it afterall, a dvd player can only do so much and there is no need to add these "features" just for a sale.

WinDVD are on the right track, superior AC3 decoding and a non nonsense display (if you use windvds interface) but the ac3 parser alone is enough to install windvd trial and use MPC/VLC to watch DVD movies for free.

does this still force itself to be the default player for every single video format/file whether you like it or not?

does this still force itself to be the default player for every single video format/file whether you like it or not?

Nope,.. you can associate the files in the Advanced Options Box.

? ?post-20663-1146743772.jpg

BTW, can someone download a H264 HD file from apples trailer site and comment on how fast powerdvd7 decodes it? would be interesting to see if they made any changes to the decoding or if its still slow.

Still waiting for a DVD player that renders subtitles in a better way. Most players deliver a better display of the movie, but the subtitles have not changed. Still the default subtitles, with the crappy aliassing.

I rather watch a good DVD rip, with some nice anti-aliased subtitles (I use ViPlay, those subs are the best), then a real DVD.

Agree, on TV you hardly see the difference, but on a normal CRT or TFT the difference if vaste.

WinDVD are on the right track, superior AC3 decoding and a non nonsense display (if you use windvds interface) but the ac3 parser alone is enough to install windvd trial and use MPC/VLC to watch DVD movies for free.

There is no such thing as superior AC3 decoding. There's only one way to decode AC3 data and it's the same for every decoder written. If WinDVD sounds "better", then it's because WinDVD pushes the decoded audio data through a DSP.

There is no such thing as superior AC3 decoding. There's only one way to decode AC3 data and it's the same for every decoder written. If WinDVD sounds "better", then it's because WinDVD pushes the decoded audio data through a DSP.

No there is a difference.

Cyberlinks decoder has a lower sound volume so I have to put a few numbers on my vol dial on teh amp up to compensate whereas the intervideo ac3 decoder is loud and rich from the start.

I noticed it and that's why I stuck with windvd over powerdvd.

The same goes for the standalone AC3 filter codec for windows, it gives out a weaker sound level over intervideos decoder.

This is all tested in MPC and Windows mediaplayer btw which both use an external decoder to decode the AC3 audio. I have the AC3 parser in MPC turned off so it is forced to use the AC3 decoder installed on the system (this being windvds one) and WMP uses it anyway so it's not an issue with WinDVD playing louder sound or using some equaliser effect because I don't even use windvd to watch movies.

If you have a good soundcard and good speakers then the difference "is" there. There are no two ways about it.

Ever heard the term Dynamic Range Compression? You might look into the AC3 specification (ATSC/A-52 for your reference), or just simply hit Dolby's site about it. That's your difference and it's definitely not sound quality related. You might want to tweak your DRC settings in your DVD players instead.