Staring at the Sun?

I have been pondering this for a while now. How come if you stare at the sun you will go blind? I mean i stare at it all the time and take photos of it, and my eye sight still is perfect. I mean the sun is just a colored light? so wouldnt that make it like staring at a picture of it? eh i think im just rambling but what causes you to go blind by looking into the sun?

Its the intensity and the prolonged exposure that will damage your retina. Briefly looking at it won't do anything. A picture doesn't emit any light, it reflects the light in t he enviroment, so its not the same as staring at the sun. I am pretty sure if you overexpose the photosensitive component of your camera to the sun, it will be damaged as well.

Edited by davemania

i know i mean we watch sunsets and it doesnt hurt your eyes? but how come if its fully in the sky... i dunno its odd...

I'm guessing that in sunset the sun is at a very low angle in the sky, therefore the light will travel further through the atmosphere - whilst weakening the intensity.

I have been pondering this for a while now. How come if you stare at the sun you will go blind? I mean i stare at it all the time and take photos of it, and my eye sight still is perfect. I mean the sun is just a colored light? so wouldnt that make it like staring at a picture of it? eh i think im just rambling but what causes you to go blind by looking into the sun?

You're forgetting that the sun also emits waves of higher energy that are not visible. Ultraviolet light is much more energetic than light in the visible spectrum. This link may give you a bit of an indication of why. However, it may just be best to take the word of your predecessors and just not look into the sun!

Don't Look In the Sun