PS3 Cell Processor Yields 'Horrible'

PS3 Cell Processor Yields 'Horrible'

Sources claim that the yield for the PS3's cell processor are not good. A process mole tells Theinquirer that the cell yields are far enough below par that the amounts of good dies off the test wafers are horrible.

The problem is that IBM and Sony designed the chip for some very aggressive process technologies that did not materialise in the way the fab boys were expecting. Because of this, we are told Sony is scrambling to get yields up before it has to make them for real, a fast approaching deadline.

Will it get it done? Who knows. Will it be able to make enough to satisfy initial demand? Not a chance.

Source: Theinquirer.net

Yield Info: en.wikipedia.org

Nintendo will be the winner of the next-gen war, mark my words.

They may make more money (due to Sony and MS both subsidising their consoles so much) but they won't have the market share or performance to match. They are seen as kiddy now and their new controller isn't going to help overcome that, whilst their lack of HD will be a factor (though I'm sure it will still look pretty good).

News from The Inquirer need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

So true.. lol.. they have some "true" news but only when it comes from a reliable source :laugh:

I like PC gaming more, but doesn't mean I don't want a next-gen system :)

Eh...either way, I would have to say that there wasn't ever a chance Sony would be able to match supply to demand come november. They just have too big a market share. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I have a feeling they are going to go the same way Xbox 360 did. If that happens...well, guess which console will be in stores for X-mas.

-Spenser

lol i h8 consoles anyway graphics suck and pc will always beat em <3 pc

This is supposed to be a discussion about the supposed low yields of the Cell processor, isn't it?

Getting back to the topic, low yields usually mean higher production costs, so if this isn't sorted out, we could see a higher price point at release for the PS3, I suppose (or a higher loss for Sony, depending on how they're going to play this game). It's a shame, since the machine seems to be a lot more promising for the time than the PS2 looked back then.

and like KeR said,

News from The Inquirer need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Eh...either way, I would have to say that there wasn't ever a chance Sony would be able to match supply to demand come november. They just have too big a market share. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I have a feeling they are going to go the same way Xbox 360 did. If that happens...well, guess which console will be in stores for X-mas.

-Spenser

Actually, at the moment their market share in next gen consoles is roughly around... oh let's see... Zero :p

Outside the fnaboys and zealots, peopel don't buy a PS3 simply because they bought a Ps2 last time.

wow... things seem to be getting worse and worse for Sony... BAHAHAHA....

Not really against the ps3, I just hate how they have to cram all this crap into the new consoles and then come out with mediocre $60 games...

Outside the fnaboys and zealots, peopel don't buy a PS3 simply because they bought a Ps2 last time.

What about casuals and gamers who are looking forward to more titles from PS-exclusive franchises?

Not that I find this article completely unbelievable or anything, but considering the source it's no more reliable than someone posting on this forum that thier aunt, a manager at Toys 'R Us, "told [them] so it must be true!". :rolleyes:

Nintendo will be the winner of the next-gen war, mark my words.

mark them with what? a BS flag?

they definitely won't win if marketshare and diversification are at the center of the criteria for winning.. considering that most people i know that are around my age and older (i'm almost 20 now) are looking for HD in a next-gen system. obviously HD doesn't matter to kids, nor to the parents who can't/won't (and shouldn't!) spend $500ish for a next-gen HD system with a game or two (possibly more for the PS3?).. but that doesn't make up a very big margin in the diversity that is age. sure, i guarantee that the majority of families with kids will have a Revolution.. but most all of the college people from 5 colleges within a 5hr radius that i know have a 360 and hi-def tv.. and that's considered next-gen for most.. they also think the Revolution's controller is a joke (I concur). So sure the Revo will be popular with a lot of people because it'll be cheaper, and it's nintendo, not to mention Mario!.. but that's not goin to usher it to the front of the next-gen line for rank..

Will I get a Revo (i've been calling it revolution because wii is just retarded)? yes! will i consider it truly next-gen? no.. because as most people are finally starting to get HDTVs, a major factor with a next-gen console should be if it can utilize that HDTV goodness. no, that's not even close to what nintendo is shooting for.. they're synonymous with a kids console and they are targeting it for that market. but again, that's not a huge market compared to all the 20-50 year olds who are willing to shell out a lot of cash for HDTV goodness. so i'd hesitate to claim nintendo the victor of the next-gen war when for a lot of people the Wii < :angry: < is like a late-coming half-next-gen console.

The lack of HD factor in Wii isnt such a huge point anymore, 360 & PS3 may use smaller resolutions than 720p and upscale it. I dont see why the same cant be possible with the Wii.

The lack of HD factor in Wii isnt such a huge point anymore, 360 & PS3 may use smaller resolutions than 720p and upscale it. I dont see why the same cant be possible with the Wii.

I'm crossing my fingers that the Wii can upscale to 720p.. If it can't then I'll have to deal with the horrors of LCD downscaling lol.

But just to correct you on one thing, the 360 and PS3 will for the most part internally render at 720p. There's only a few exceptions to that rule (and there are some tricks GPU's will use to render certain effects at different resolutions). However upscaling is very common for 1080i and in the case of the PS3 also 1080p (although hopefully the 360 will be able to upscale to 1080p eventually, perhaps with whatever HDMI connector they manage to come up with for the HD-DVD addon).

This is supposed to be a discussion about the supposed low yields of the Cell processor, isn't it?

Getting back to the topic, low yields usually mean higher production costs, so if this isn't sorted out, we could see a higher price point at release for the PS3, I suppose (or a higher loss for Sony, depending on how they're going to play this game). It's a shame, since the machine seems to be a lot more promising for the time than the PS2 looked back then.

Anyways, getting back to the PS3 again :rolleyes: this could not only mean higher prices but less consoles available. Think about what the lack of consoles did for Microsoft. It wouldn't be good for Sony to have a popular console if they can't make enough to sell.

mark them with what? a BS flag?

they definitely won't win if marketshare and diversification are at the center of the criteria for winning.. considering that most people i know that are around my age and older (i'm almost 20 now) are looking for HD in a next-gen system. obviously HD doesn't matter to kids, nor to the parents who can't/won't (and shouldn't!) spend $500ish for a next-gen HD system with a game or two (possibly more for the PS3?).. but that doesn't make up a very big margin in the diversity that is age. sure, i guarantee that the majority of families with kids will have a Revolution.. but most all of the college people from 5 colleges within a 5hr radius that i know have a 360 and hi-def tv.. and that's considered next-gen for most.. they also think the Revolution's controller is a joke (I concur). So sure the Revo will be popular with a lot of people because it'll be cheaper, and it's nintendo, not to mention Mario!.. but that's not goin to usher it to the front of the next-gen line for rank..

Will I get a Revo (i've been calling it revolution because wii is just retarded)? yes! will i consider it truly next-gen? no.. because as most people are finally starting to get HDTVs, a major factor with a next-gen console should be if it can utilize that HDTV goodness. no, that's not even close to what nintendo is shooting for.. they're synonymous with a kids console and they are targeting it for that market. but again, that's not a huge market compared to all the 20-50 year olds who are willing to shell out a lot of cash for HDTV goodness. so i'd hesitate to claim nintendo the victor of the next-gen war when for a lot of people the Wii < :angry: < is like a late-coming half-next-gen console.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

:sleep:

The Inquirer is often right you know, even though they hate Microsoft and all. They were the first ones to leak the Xbox 360 design when Microsoft was still thinking of just using 256MB RAM and they usually are right when dealing with leaks. They suffer from serious bias and they joke alot but they are usually right about stuff like THIS.

The Inquirer is often right you know, even though they hate Microsoft and all. They were the first ones to leak the Xbox 360 design when Microsoft was still thinking of just using 256MB RAM and they usually are right when dealing with leaks. They suffer from serious bias and they joke alot but they are usually right about stuff like THIS.

That is true, but still, I kind of find this article very hard to believe. Sony and IBM spent way too much time, money and effort on the Cell processor to have it suffer from a foreseeable problem such as "horrible yields", but we'll see.

So either Sony delays past the holiday season in the US, or they have a "paper launch" and no one can find a PS3. So they buy one of the 10 million 360s that will be on the shelves =)

So either Sony delays past the holiday season in the US, or they have a "paper launch" and no one can find a PS3. So they buy one of the 10 million 360s that will be on the shelves =)

If there is no PS3 in the stores, and there are 10 million of X360's; I would still wait for the next shipment of PS3's (and so would other people).

lol with a price drop of the xbox360 expected in that time when ps3 comes out i dont think may people would wait at all, GOW will be out and other games too to boost sales :p