Can England defeat Brazil?

If England can play solidy together as a team, Rooney or no Rooney we can beat any team in the world.

I rate France, Holland, Portugal and Spain ahead of England :laugh:

They're kind of football is more continental than Englands

^Exactly. Which is why we need to get back to playing the english game, not trying to bend into continental play, which the teams you mentioned do so well.

honestly it's called goaltending. And as overated as Dida is, bloody he's better then Robinson and James so i think that is the only reason they cant. Honestly, if england could get a good keeper, the world cup would be rolling in. They have an incredible team.

with all my respect to england we have in one hand

ronaldinho, ronaldo, adriano, kaka, robinho, roberto carlos, edmilson.............

on the other we have .... lampard?!?

i guess the answer it's clear

Brazil without a doubt have an amazing team. Even though I want England to win I will enjoy every bit of football Brazil play as it is absoloutely breathtaking sometimes.

I dont think Lampard is that important to England, I think Gerrard is the man to lead England to glory :).

Of course England can beat Brazil (probably not as probable as the the other way around but still...)

Big name stars don't mean anything...just look at the US "Dream Team" in basketball the past two times. They filled it full of stars who always wanted the ball and always wanted to take the shot, and none of them were good teammates because they were used to being "the man"

A very good point. Just look at Real Madrid and all the top names they have bought within the last five years or so, Zidane, Beckham, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul, Baptista, Cicinho, Ramos, Robinho, Carlos, Cassilas, Owen....are all big names and failed to lead Real to glory.

hah, I just can't stand watching them, they make me nervous and never look as if they are that bothered or are taking it seriously (mainly Ferdinand).

I know they both have times where they are second to none, but that doesnt compensate for all the mistakes and crazy antics they get up to and you can't afford to mess around like that when Ronaldinho is breathing down your neck.

I agree with that. How Sven can justify playing Ferdinand over Carragher is beyond me. Ferdinand had a fantastic World Cup at Japan but since his big money move to Man Utd he has not shown the kind of top class defending at even passion for the game that Jamie Carragher has. He is only in it for the money now, holding Man Utd to random for ?100,000 a week is just greedy.

What England needs to do is believe in themselves. Team has players who are part of Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and these all clubs are successful clubs. Look at individual players and their recent form. Joe Cole & Frank Lampard have been great at Chelsea this season. Gary Neville is a proved player, Ashley Cole & John Terry will be tough to beat in defense. David Beckham & Steven Gerrard will be in the midfield, and they both are among the best. Michael Owen & Peter Crouch on the attack and England looks a competitive team. Brazil might be better, but on the pitch its not the better team on paper who wins, the one who does better on pitch wins the game. It will be a close contest and hope England does it this time.

In the last world cup they lost the quarter-finals to Brazil 2-1. They will meet in semi final this world cup hope England does the other way around and beat Brazil 2-1.

The question should be ?Can England defeat any of the TOP teams??

Because honestly I can?t see England getting past teams like Italy, France or Argentina, yes they have some quality players but the above teams are on the same level with Brazil which in my book is miles ahead of England.

But who knows ,maybe with another coach they can do it.

You know England and Argentina played a few months ago in a 'friendly', England won 3-2 after being 2-0 down i think, in one of the best football matches i've ever seen.

*edit* To eavere.

Yes, with good team work anyone can beat Brazil, we (mexico) defeated them with full team in the confederations too bad we lost against argentina

Hmmm... It's quite known that teams have a very different performance when thy are in the World Cup... in the case of Brazil they simply play extraordinarily.

C?sar:))

You know England and Argentina played a few months ago in a 'friendly', England won 3-2 after being 2-0 down i think, in one of the best football matches i've ever seen.

*edit* To eavere.

Excatly my point. Brazil deserves a credit for the quality of their play, but I just CAN'T STAND how a lot of teams, including Brazil look like rotten pansies diving here and there every minute. At least players like Rooney, Wright-Phillips play like men, they take the ball and if they go forward, they go forward without falling down whenever an opponent is nearby whilst looking at the referee straight away. This is the biggest thing that ****es me off about football, and I think England's play is better than most of the teams with regards to that type of behaviour.

P.S. HUM, eat ****e. Have respect to other members and other teams you little pansy. Or I can say something like: "Brazil - we dive our way to the victory!".

The England problem is the superiority complex: they invented the soccer and thinks they need win to prove for the world that England players are great.

But let's see.. in last 12 years in 3 World Cups we saw great bulgarians, romanians, belgians, russians, sweedens, croatians, dutchs and turkey players. But where are the great England players with great performances in last World Cups? I only saw Lineker in 86/90 and nothing more.

Owen, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard that guys everyone calls "great" are only regular players: they don't have decide-power in high-level international cups. They are insecure, charged by the UK press to do something during World Cup but we see only regular acting.

I recognize the great work in the Premier League in last 10 years in the organization. England shows the world how organize a great championship and gain money with soccer. But the player levels are still bad since Cantona left PL. Why? Has something wrong with England players, their formation and trainning? I don't know.. I only see a national team with ethernal _promise_ to suprise and prove they are great.

Meanwhile, bulgarians, romanians, belgians, russians, sweedens, croatians, dutchs and turkeys are still proving and showing great football. Because they doesn't have superiority complex and doesn't need prove nothing.

God, how I want see a great England players but Lineaker is already retired and after him none appeared. We saw only promisses in last years.

The England problem is the superiority complex: they invented the soccer and thinks they need win to prove for the world that England players are great.

But let's see.. in last 12 years in 3 World Cups we saw great bulgarians, romanians, belgians, russians, sweedens, croatians, dutchs and turkey players. But where are the great England players with great performances in last World Cups? I only saw Lineker in 86/90 and nothing more.

Owen, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard that guys everyone calls "great" are only regular players: they don't have decide-power in high-level international cups. They are insecure, charged by the UK press to do something during World Cup but we see only regular acting.

I recognize the great work in the Premier League in last 10 years in the organization. England shows the world how organize a great championship and gain money with soccer. But the player levels are still bad since Cantona left PL. Why? Has something wrong with England players, their formation and trainning? I don't know.. I only see a national team with ethernal _promise_ to suprise and prove they are great.

Meanwhile, bulgarians, romanians, belgians, russians, sweedens, croatians, dutchs and turkeys are still proving and showing great football. Because they doesn't have superiority complex and doesn't need prove nothing.

God, how I want see a great England players but Lineaker is already retired and after him none appeared. We saw only promisses in last years.

What are you talking about? :| Half the teams you mention have not qualified for this WC. Cantona is French !! :blink: Lampard Gerrard Beckham & Owen have had their share of international success with their teams, English or international. I don't really believe in this England team (esp. without Rooney) because they don't have the right coach for the job. But I couldn't disagree more with your entire post.

To some it no probably not, hell last time roudn they couldn't even do it when Brazil where down to 10 men........

However one thing sven is doing now is taking risks (he has nothing to lose really, which might just do something for us). Our team over the last few years has lacked any sort of killer instinct but I guess thats england all over!