PS3 2005 vs PS3 2006 - WYSIWYG

pros:

cons:

- no force feedback (how could they call it dual-shock 3 when the point of dual-shock was the rumble?)

Where have you seen it (officially) called Dual Shock 3? At the conference they only called it the PlayStation 3 controller, and on their press site with all the hi-res images, they don't say "Dual Shock".

I'm talking about without voiding the warranty. :p

Anyway:

20GB Xbox 360 - $400

HD-DVD - $200

WiFi - $100

= $700

60GB PS3 with Blu-ray and WiFi

= $600

So if you do actually plan to buy the above for 360, the PS3 actually becomes better value along with HDMI and 1080p. You do get a lot for the price, but the price is a bit too much if you are just going to be using it as a gaming console.

Who honestly felt duel HDMI was ever going to be possible? Not surprised it got removed..

Yeah, maybe at 480p on each screen though, lol.

Sorry edited that my bad, :pinch: what can I say it's 3 am.

Sleep is good. :rofl:

It hasn't changed that much, just lost 2 network ports (but still got one) and a HDMI port (or both depending on what model your looking at).

I'm thinking the cheaper model will be better suited to people who just want the console, from what I can tell from what people are saying here, the cheaper model should still be able to play Blu-Ray movies but depending on the studio that produced the disk, it might be degraded to sub-par quality (as an "anti-piracy measure" :rolleyes: )...but for those lucky enough to have a HDTV with HDMI and can afford the price of the more expensive PS3, they get the full experience.

So in a nut shell, they just did what MS did with the 360, offering a "crippled" version and a full version :laugh:

Anyway:

Xbox 360

= $700

60GB PS3

= $600

So if you do actually plan to buy the above for 360, the PS3 actually becomes better value along with HDMI and 1080p. You do get a lot for the price, but the price is a bit too much if you are just going to be using it as a gaming console.

Its funny when people are trying so hard to make the PS3 look better value.

Good thing is that Microsoft is not forcing me to buy into their own format war, not forcing me to buy features I dont need.

Good thing is that Microsoft is not forcing me to buy into their own format war, not forcing me to buy features I dont need.

he did say in his post "So if you do actually plan to buy the above for 360" - aka - the HD-DVD drive and the wifi adapter.

Yes, if you do not won't / need wifi, a HD disc drive then yes the xbox 360 is a lot cheaper, but if you do want / need wifi and a HD disc drive, then they work out at the PS3 being cheaper - but yes, this is only if you want the extra features.

he did say in his post "So if you do actually plan to buy the above for 360" - aka - the HD-DVD drive and the wifi adapter.

Yes, if you do not won't / need wifi, a HD disc drive then yes the xbox 360 is a lot cheaper, but if you do want / need wifi and a HD disc drive, then they work out at the PS3 being cheaper - but yes, this is only if you want the extra features.

Do we have a price for the HD-DVD add on? No

Can we buy a cheaper Wi-Fi connector? Yes

;)

I'm sure that'll be an option for the PS3 as well.

Yes, I didnt say otherwise.

I just noted that it was quite funny when people were trying all sorts of combination to make the $599 price of PS3 look good value. :laugh:

Why does everyone have such a big woody for wireless?

A wired jack works a hell of a lot better than WIFI.

1 how is not having a memory card slot an issue, for a core system, is it even necessary, the guys owning the 600 system might not even use it

2 i agree dropping the hdmi slot for the core system is a big let down, but the arguements for dropping one of the two on the 600 is not a big issue, 2 hdmi slots, you got the tv to connect them? doubt it

3 the lie picture is funny, yes, but true, no. usb slots are still at the front, 3 ethernet, you need them? no. 2 hdmi need them? no. they just removed irrelevant features for more ventilation. but yes the concept box was misleading

you comparing 360 and a ps3, yet even if the graphics and power capabilities being so similar, the ps3 got hell lot more connectivity

so are you saying, microsoft is NOT forcing you to buy a drive that is supposely INCLUDED into the NEXT GEN system for 200 more, yet the system was meant to be a HIGH DEF experience, yet there is no HIGH DEF connectivity, lets say, which are HDCP capatible? funny how people are trying so hard to make the 360 sound like a bargain

so are you saying, microsoft is NOT forcing you to buy a drive that is supposely INCLUDED into the NEXT GEN system for 200 more,

Aww, cute!

Yes, Microsoft is not forcing me to buy into their format war with Sony. Microsoft along with Intel has aligned with HD-DVD yet they are not forcing it down my throat thankfully. The price for HD-DVD is not yet announced, yet you wish to cling to it, looks desperate.

yet the system was meant to be a HIGH DEF experience, yet there is no HIGH DEF connectivity, lets say, which are HDCP capatible? funny how people are trying so hard to make the 360 sound like a bargain

Micorosft never promised HDCP, their HD-content promises were supposed to be over component.

funny how people are trying so hard to make the 360 sound like a bargain

Sony just did that when they announced the price for the PS3, they made 360 & Wii look like steals/bargains.

Why does everyone have such a big woody for wireless?

A wired jack works a hell of a lot better than WIFI.

my thoughts entirely.

Im going for a Wii smaller, sexier and for a console actually original with the promise of original genres of games and a nice small console.

I could slate it as im old skool xbox owner but tbh im past puberty and have a life. :whistle:

Ive got used to Sony promising rocket science and to claim to blow every competitor out of the water....then bailing out of what they state will be and compromising to maximise profits. All wind and wii. nothing new for them, always was always will be. It will sell in the buckletloads as Sony Fans are devoutly loyal..(or brainwashed i dont know 100%)

MS will wait for release of PS3 then slash xbox360 prices cos they have deep enough pockets and can take a loss on console sales, Sony on the other hand cannot due to the level of financial trouble the Corporation is in. This could be the downfall of Sony. Sony havnt been innovative with any electronic product since the original PS1, what ive seen of the PSP has been quite impressive but nothing new Atari Lynx anyone?

Their hifis and personal players are only now doing standard formats, as they are meglomaniacs, but thats another matter. Minidisc anyone?

I work with a lot of games developers and they do not like the way Sony conduct themselves expecting a % share of every game sold, MS on the other hand do not, which leans them towards the Xbox brand a little more than Sony.

HDMI is great and all but all it is is DVI with audio through the multiplexed cabling nothing superior, not exactly a "selling" point, so stop getting a woody over it ;)

I doubt even all the Cell processors could have powered dual 1080i output no matter what Sony claimed at the time, you just have to look at what they quoted for PS2, 3 times the 3d power of a windows PC processor....err great except the CPU dont do the 3d graphincs on a PC thats what a 3d graphics card does.......but hey made the fanboys feel superior in their own little Sony tinted world.

play your games at 1080i ill stick to FEAR and BF2 etc at 2048x1550 with x8 aa and x8 af thanks REAL high definition on my games pc.

Edited by Mando

yes they are not forcing, they left the choice open, but if you were to choose hi def, then there isnt really a choice is there, its the same for sony, you choose core system with basically no hi def, but hell it has a blu ray drive for the games, if games need mroe than a dvd that is. look at it this way, with such graphic capabilities from the 360/ps3, dvds cant fit all the information on possibly one dvd for hi def. so, the core system PLUS hd dvd drive is a must

now it looks like hdmi is being pushed quite well. motherboards are coming to hdmi, video cards planning hdmi, all for what, hi def video from hd dvd/blu ray. great bro you got yourself a hd dvd drive. now what

wii and 360 may look like bargain, but going ps3 is going next gen, not just gaming, but multimedia. you drop 600 on the ps3, and youre almost ready for next gen for years to come

yes they are not forcing, they left the choice open, but if you were to choose hi def, then there isnt really a choice is there, its the same for sony, you choose core system with basically no hi def, but hell it has a blu ray drive for the games, if games need mroe than a dvd that is. look at it this way, with such graphic capabilities from the 360/ps3, dvds cant fit all the information on possibly one dvd for hi def. so, the core system PLUS hd dvd drive is a must

now it looks like hdmi is being pushed quite well. motherboards are coming to hdmi, video cards planning hdmi, all for what, hi def video from hd dvd/blu ray. great bro you got yourself a hd dvd drive. now what

HDMI!=HDCP.

wii and 360 may look like bargain, but going ps3 is going next gen, not just gaming, but multimedia. you drop 600 on the ps3, and youre almost ready for next gen for years to come

Jack of all trades, master of none. I'm not saying that PS3 is, cause its not launched yet but Sony is positioning it like that atm. :D

Here's a few things off the top of my head that have changed:

Dual output - CUT

"Networking Hub" - CUT

Free online play - CUT

1080p - CUT on $500 model (and probably non-existant on the other one)

HDMI - CUT on $500 model

BluRay - No HDMI = Essentially CUT on $500 model

SD/MemoryStick slots - CUT on $500 model

Built-in Wireless - CUT on $500 model

Lost GTA exclusive license. Lost UT 2007 exclusive console license. They're beginning to lose Square - it's probably a matter of time until they lose the FF franchise entirely.

Ok? how is Sony losing the Square liscence? please tell me this? if i remember correctly they have 3 definitive releases this year as well as 2 announced for PS3. just because Xbox 360 has Final Fantasy XI and Gamecube and Wii have Crystal Chronicals doesnt mean Sony is losing square or FF. and have you been paying any attention to E3. they definatly announced that the online experience with PS3 would be free. Who needs dual hdmi output? i dont see any "normal" people having the need for the games to be on 2 hdtvs do you? as for the 1080p/hdmi/SD etc. those features arent cut at all. they just arent added to the $500 model. they exact same thing with xbox 360 there is a core and a premium package....duh? anyway im no fanboy of Sony i myself own the 360 and love it. but there are certain franchises you will only get from Sony and thats why i will have no problem owning both.

well if the blu-ray player is similar to an hd-dvd one, then the reason that they're soo expensive is that they need a cpu to help render the video. since the ps3 has the processor hardware already, i don't believe sony can justify such a high price for the other component of the blu-ray player, the optical drive itself.And if MS wants to do well they should offer the HD-DVD addon for under $100...since it's pretty much just the optical drive.

I may be wrong here with the details, but I'm pretty sure...

Above all Sony WILL lose market share due to the high price, no matter how many bells and whistles it can throw on there...for the general consumer, $600 is too much...especially after you add in games and accessories that everyone seems to forget about.

Blu-ray players in themselves will retail for about $999

Who gives a crap about Blu-ray?!!?!?

The only reason any of you Sony fanboys want it is because Sony told you that you need it.

Are you going to be happy to pay 30 to 40 bucks for a damn Blu-ray movie? I sure wouldn't be.

I don't understand why anyone would be so anxious to jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon considering Sony's track record with proprietary formats....NONE of them have succeeded.

Who gives a crap about Blu-ray?!!?!?

The only reason any of you Sony fanboys want it is because Sony told you that you need it.

Are you going to be happy to pay 30 to 40 bucks for a damn Blu-ray movie? I sure wouldn't be.

I don't understand why anyone would be so anxious to jump on the Blu-ray bandwagon considering Sony's track record with proprietary formats....NONE of them have succeeded.

I could give two ****s about Blu-ray and trust me im a fan-boy. The ONLY reason i will be getting a PS3 is for the Final Fantasy series, Metal Gear Solid 4, and double backwards compatability with ALL titles. i dont care about hd gaming i dont care how good it looks. i play my 360 on a 20 inch APEX tv. and ill do the same with my PS3. you microsoft fan-boys need to stop thinking every person that likes playstation likes it because "sony told us to" give me a break. Also who said we HAD to buy Blu-ray movies? the drive will support DVD as well so i dont know how we are required to buy blu-ray movies to watch a movie on it.