PS3 2005 vs PS3 2006 - WYSIWYG

yes they are not forcing, they left the choice open, but if you were to choose hi def, then there isnt really a choice is there, its the same for sony, you choose core system with basically no hi def, but hell it has a blu ray drive for the games, if games need mroe than a dvd that is. look at it this way, with such graphic capabilities from the 360/ps3, dvds cant fit all the information on possibly one dvd for hi def. so, the core system PLUS hd dvd drive is a must

No games will require the HD-DVD drive. It's just for movies. If your game is using more than 9GB of data, you're doing something wrong.

now it looks like hdmi is being pushed quite well. motherboards are coming to hdmi, video cards planning hdmi, all for what, hi def video from hd dvd/blu ray. great bro you got yourself a hd dvd drive. now what

Umm, what makes you so sure there won't be an HDMI cable for the 360?

wii and 360 may look like bargain, but going ps3 is going next gen, not just gaming, but multimedia. you drop 600 on the ps3, and youre almost ready for next gen for years to come

The graphics are the same/less than the 360. The multimedia features are clearly far behind the 360. Can the PS3 connect to my Media Center? Can it stream music and videos and pictures from my PC or Mac? Can it connect to my portable media devices? Does it have a proven online system with HD content? Not yet anyway.

I haven't seen any multimedia features in the PS3 that weren't ripped from the 360. Other than the choice of BluRay over HD-DVD, which I think is a poor decision.

No games will require the HD-DVD drive. It's just for movies. If your game is using more than 9GB of data, you're doing something wrong.

Don't be so sure, there is some speculation about that Microsoft is planning to launch HD-DVD games in the future. News from engadget..

RULES

He could seriously be not interested in Blu-ray. There are many more people who not interested in Blu-ray or HD-DVD either, will you call them fanboys as well?

Yes, but he didn't say he wasn't interested, he asked who was interested. As if no one in their right mind would be. So L3thal posted the answer to the question; those people are interested in it.

Is that clear now?

RULES

He could seriously be not interested in Blu-ray. There are many more people who not interested in Blu-ray or HD-DVD either, will you call them fanboys as well?

He could not be interested, but his post had nothing to do with his interest. It was clearly a flamebait post bashing and trolling against Blu-Ray. My reason to post the picture of Blu-Ray support is to show that Blu-Ray is supported by many companies who give a "crap" about Blu-Ray, regardless of what personal opinions arise.

Beat me to it Joel, thanks

Yes, but he didn't say he wasn't interested, he asked who was interested. As if no one in their right mind would be. So L3thal posted the answer to the question; those people are interested in it.

Is that clear now?

Edited With Members Permission.

DL

Edited by DirtyLarry

Forget about Blu-ray and HD DVD for a second, everyone here agrees that games are what makes a system so lets fight about who has the biggest games of the next year... one at a time now

Gears of War - 360 hmmmm :whistle:

Its funny when people are trying so hard to make the PS3 look better value.

It is good value for what's included. If you bought the same for the Xbox 360, it comes out at a higher price with less features. Now I also mentioned in my post that if your not going to be using those features, it's not as good value. But if you did buy all of that stuff for the 360, the PS3 will appear to have better value. It's not trying hard at all, the prices are there, it's rather easy actually. :)

It is good value for what's included. If you bought the same for the Xbox 360, it comes out at a higher price with less features. Now I also mentioned in my post that if your not going to be using those features, it's not as good value. But if you did buy all of that stuff for the 360, the PS3 will appear to have better value. It's not trying hard at all, the prices are there, it's rather easy actually. :)

You can get a $10-20 USB WiFi adapter for the 360, the $100 isnt the only way to go Wi-Fi. And no the prices are not there; HD-DVD add-on price(?).

You can get a $10-20 USB WiFi adapter for the 360, the $100 isnt the only way to go Wi-Fi. And no the prices are not there; HD-DVD add-on price(?).

Even with a $15 USB WiFi it would still cost more than a PS3. And with the HD-DVD, I can see the price being maybe as low as $150, but $200 is not unrealistic. So even if you take off another $50 there, the 360 would still be near the PS3 price, except with no HDMI, no card reader, 40GB less HDD space and only 1080i output. So looking at what you get, the PS3 is still good value. For a games console alone, it might be too much for some people, but if you use those features, the price isn't that bad.

' date='May 12 2006, 21:33' post='587502266']

Don't be so sure, there is some speculation about that Microsoft is planning to launch HD-DVD games in the future. News from engadget..

There's no way that would happen as it's simply not needed. There are a billion threads on this discussion. Also, "News from engadget" doesn't mean anything, especially since it's engadget, but maybe at least providing a link would make your comment not seem so full of BS. :)

I'm talking about without voiding the warranty. :p

Anyway:

20GB Xbox 360 - $400

HD-DVD - $200

WiFi - $100

= $700

60GB PS3 with Blu-ray and WiFi

= $600

So if you do actually plan to buy the above for 360, the PS3 actually becomes better value along with HDMI and 1080p. You do get a lot for the price, but the price is a bit too much if you are just going to be using it as a gaming console.

Agreed. I'm buying the 60GB PS3. I was going to set an alarm on the 17th of Nov for like 3:30 but then I relised I wont be able to sleep the night before. So hanging out at Bestbuy it is. I'll probaly eventually get a Wii too because it looks fun.

ps3liebackend.jpg

:D

I get ****ed off when people don't look at it properly....

Yeah so there isn't 2 HDMI sockets, I don't even need 1...

The USB thing has ****ed me off BIG time...

No one shows the front of the machine from last year or this year. Last year there was only ONE (1) USB port on the front, there are now FOUR (4)!!! So there is actually more than before...

Last year there was 2 on the back, now there are none, so they've moved those 2 to the front and added ANOTHER one!

:-/ dumb

Even with a $15 USB WiFi it would still cost more than a PS3. And with the HD-DVD, I can see the price being maybe as low as $150, but $200 is not unrealistic. So even if you take off another $50 there, the 360 would still be near the PS3 price, except with no HDMI, no card reader, 40GB less HDD space and only 1080i output. So looking at what you get, the PS3 is still good value. For a games console alone, it might be too much for some people, but if you use those features, the price isn't that bad.

It's funny how you people now say "only" 1080i. Most TVs nows just downscale 1080i to a 1366x768p resolution. And most don't even specify if they are able to downscale 1080p content to 768p.

It will take some time for 1920x1080 TVs to lower prices and become mainstream

It's funny how you people now say "only" 1080i. Most TVs nows just downscale 1080i to a 1366x768p resolution. And most don't even specify if they are able to downscale 1080p content to 768p.

It will take some time for 1920x1080 TVs to lower prices and become mainstream

This console is to last 5+ years, there's going to be plenty of advancements in TV screens during that time. Besides, my post was comparing feature sets for the price.

This console is to last 5+ years, there's going to be plenty of advancements in TV screens during that time. Besides, my post was comparing feature sets for the price.

Yeah, that's for sure. But it will take LONG for us to be able to enjoy all the 1080p glory. The other day I saw a sharp 65'' 1080p LCD for 20000 Euro. And now there's a sony , I think it's 40'' or 46''... It has 1920x1080 resolution, progressive I guess. It's 4500 euro, which is 5700 dollars. EXPENSIVE as hell! For 1800 euro you can get a 40'' LCD HD ready tv.

I get ****ed off when people don't look at it properly....

Yeah so there isn't 2 HDMI sockets, I don't even need 1...

The USB thing has ****ed me off BIG time...

No one shows the front of the machine from last year or this year. Last year there was only ONE (1) USB port on the front, there are now FOUR (4)!!! So there is actually more than before...

Last year there was 2 on the back, now there are none, so they've moved those 2 to the front and added ANOTHER one!

:-/ dumb

That's not quite true. Sony have actually dropped 2 USB ports.

Last year there was two on the back, and four on the front. Now there is only 4 on the front. See attached.

post-21547-1148121158_thumb.jpgpost-21547-1148121170_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's for sure. But it will take LONG for us to be able to enjoy all the 1080p glory. The other day I saw a sharp 65'' 1080p LCD for 20000 Euro. And now there's a sony , I think it's 40'' or 46''... It has 1920x1080 resolution, progressive I guess. It's 4500 euro, which is 5700 dollars. EXPENSIVE as hell! For 1800 euro you can get a 40'' LCD HD ready tv.

Well I think Europe is a bit slow to adopt HDTV. :pinch: But I'm sure in 2 years there will be a lot more 1080p TVs around. HD LCD prices have dropped over half here since last year, and with newer technology around the corner, they're bound to drop even more.

Well I think Europe is a bit slow to adopt HDTV. :pinch: But I'm sure in 2 years there will be a lot more 1080p TVs around. HD LCD prices have dropped over half here since last year, and with newer technology around the corner, they're bound to drop even more.

... in 2 years? So, if this coming generation is supposed to last roughly 5 or so years (as someone else mentioned) then you've basically just wasted 2/5 of the console's life? Sounds good.

... in 2 years? So, if this coming generation is supposed to last roughly 5 or so years (as someone else mentioned) then you've basically just wasted 2/5 of the console's life? Sounds good.

Wasted how? It's not like you can't play PS3 on TV's below 1080p... And it's mainly for the Blu-ray playback. So yeah, sounds good. ;)

How can someone waste 2 years of a console's life?

Wow... that's a really weak arguement.

PS3 will be supported for around 10 years by Sony, it just makes the PS3 future proof. Just because a generation of consoles has ended doesn't mean the company has to stop all it's support for it. At least Sony is good at that, unlike some of it's competitors who just cut a console and run leaving it's customers hanging.

Edited by Surrieall