Wii Graphics clearup

Just thought i'd clear this up cause every other thread ****es me off with it.

just because the Wii runs in standard definition it does NOT mean it will run less effects etc.

all it is is like the difference between 640x480 and 1280x1024.

Stop basing graphical capabilities on SD vs HD.

that said I still don't back the Wii at all anymore.

just because the Wii runs in standard definition it does NOT mean it will run less effects etc.

We don't even know what soft of power this graphics processor is capable of. For all we know its less then a X1600. As long as the games are fun I don't care.

With lower resolution, a higher end graphics processor isn't needed. You can run high-end games at high quality with a lower end card by using lower resolution, as there's less data to render (a lot less, about a quarter of HD's bitrate).

Wii is going to rule its going to be a lot of fun to play. HD is nice though but Nintendo is just going for a differnt effect then the best graphics but i'm sure for 640x480 (720x480 on widescreen) it will look pretty good.

all it is is like the difference between 640x480 and 1280x1024.

Stop basing graphical capabilities on SD vs HD.

But your acting like resolution doesnt matter. It's a HUGE factor when it comes to graphics. How many people play games on their PC at 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 anymore? Yeah you can argue that the LCD is closer there but you can also argue that the HD TV's were made to display these high resolution images so outputting at 640 x 480 wont look anywhere near as impressive.

Im sure it will be capable of many of the effects other consoles can do but at a lower res on a HD TV I doubt it will look as nice. I'm the sort of person that goes for resolution before anti-aliasing and soft shadows. I find higher resolutions weild the best graphical output.

But yeah, I dont think the Wii will be as powerful as the Xbox of the PS3. That said I dont think it needs to be. I wish it was but that's clearly not what they are aiming at. I wouldnt buy a wii, I dont like the idea of a moving controller. I had a limited go owning a MS freestyler pro (yes the tech wasnt as good), but I think it would just get annoying to have to be constantly movieng ect in games. Most of the time I play a console to chill out, not to run about the living room swinging my arm. Thats personal oppinion but I'd prefer a standard controller and a nice foot rest.

But your acting like resolution doesnt matter. It's a HUGE factor when it comes to graphics. How many people play games on their PC at 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 anymore? Yeah you can argue that the LCD is closer there but you can also argue that the HD TV's were made to display these high resolution images so outputting at 640 x 480 wont look anywhere near as impressive.

Playing games on a PC is different seeing as CRT and LCD monitors go higher than HD resolutions thesedays.

The point Nintendo is trying to make is not everyone has a HDTV, even in the UK HDTV is still relatively new, why alienate people like Sony is doing with their PS3 by ramping up the price for HD graphics capabilities, 3/4 of the people who buy consoles dont have the latest and greatest ?1000+ hi definition tellys.

I got annoyed with my xbox 360 because the hi res graphics flickered and didnt look the best on my Standard Definition telly, which far outweighs the number of expensive Hi Def tvs, at least in my country.

I reckon Nintendos hit a sweet spot, by not offering HiDef which 3/4 of the people of the world cant use, they can keep the console very cheap, but still hold up graphics wise because it doesnt need 1/4 of the power of producing hi definition graphics.

Having said that Nintendos never been about graphics, they have consistently produced fun games that you can pick up and play and have lots of fun doing so. Hopefully with their 'revolutionary' (no pun intended:pp) new console a lot of the 3rd parties that the N64 and Gamecube lacked, which ultimately left them in last place as per usual, it will propel the Wii into a dominant position and get Nintendo back into the race.

"alienate people like Sony"

Because Sony is offering the highest end graphics with HD support? Alienate? Common man all they are doing is thinking of the NEXT-GEN. I know you've heard that term before. Consoles are meant to last years, Sony is making it HD because over the next few years that was what the norm is going to be, afterall its the next gen. Making a console using current gen will nail most of the market, but as the years pass by it just won't cut it. Same with the 360, I think its awesome now, but I think as the years pass Sony will be the last one laughing similar to the outcome of the prevous console wars.

Like I know I come off as a Sony fanboy, but look at the logic, Nintendo is making a really cool console thats going to be fun, but it isn't going to stand up to the next gen, similar to Dreamcast, at the time it was awesome but as the years went by it couldn't cut it anymore. Unless Nintendo plans on releasing another console before Sony or Microsoft, I think its safe to say we are going to see another Gamecube, as far as graphics go. The way the games are played I think its extremely innovative and I'd love to play a tennis or golf game using that controller. But the simple matter is Wii is not next gen graphics, maybe next gen technology. Then again you don't need to see Mario in high def as majority of Nintendo games are aimed for young kids.

I heard the Wii has a PPU in it, which means stuff like Physics which the just now the PS3 and 360 can cope with (by using a different core or SPE) could do just as well :)

Well seeming that Nintendo has a relationship with ATi (Gamecube) they will most likely be doing buisness with them again, the Wii will not need huge processing power as peviously stated. The GPU will need to be cost effective thus landing it in the mid-range market which looks to be the x1600. Delivering at a very low resolution the games will look great though not in high-resolution.

But all in all who cares about the GFX. as you can see the show stopper was the Wii and this console will dominate the market. Its intuitive gameplay and third party dedication will completely maximize the console. The console is all innovation and there is no need for hardcore hi-res GFX like the lack luster Xbox 360.

The XB360 and PS3 are going all out on hardware thats under the hood. But nintendo sees that as a non-factor, the hardware that is actually in your own palms is really what matters. As you can see from Nintendo outright stealing the show at E3, gamers agree. Gameplay is the key to a great console, with 3rd party development there will be some awsome ideas to hit the market.

It may look like your there on other consoles but for the first time ever, you'll truely feel like your there!

Personally as long as its a slightly higher res than GC and of course it has extra shader and texture muscle in there.. so it should be fine.

The reason for no HD is that Ninty arent willing to alienate users who can afford HD Tv`s. HD is still a very new Technology, i mean look how long its taken for just over 50% of the UK to pickup Digital Tv .. 5 Years!

it does make a difference but my point is that people blow it out of proportion as in

"oh the wii doesnt have HDTV compatibility so it will look ****"

you're right, technically with the lower resolution you could push a bit more visual punch than if it were running in HD but that said its not pushing much anyway...

it wont look great compared to the ps3 or 360 though (i suspect based on hardware rumors i hear of it being really close to the GC)

personally though i need good visuals.

i've always liked visuals that amazed me, i am a 3d realtime artist so i tend to want to see whats pushing the boundries and thats why - some gamers dont want that and thats who'll get the Wii

Infact its probably a rebranded GC haha.

clock speeds dont mean much.

EDIT:

I do agree that i know noone with a hdtv, but i'd prefer the choice.

but i honestly believe the Wii is NOT next generation (as in current xbox360/ps3). its half a generation behind in my opinion and no controller can change that.

generation change has never been to do with gameplay, its been the ability to do more with the software because of hardware beef ups be it graphics or physics.

Realism for me is created through graphics.

waving a wand about probably would make it feel less real BUT thats just opinion on my part, i dont feel the controller when im into the game, its like another limb.

nintendo are digging a hole with the home console market it seems.

they totally own the handhelds market and i'll back them there. they know their stuff. the DS came off a charm and the GBA and before were perfection.

Edited by Shetland

Am I the only one that is worried that Nintendo shrugging off HD could be their biggest mistake since...I don't know...shrugging off online play with the cube? Seeing as how it takes about 5 years for a new console to come out, if HD becomes the norm in the next year or so, like how broadband had its year or so jump where everyone switched to it from dial-up, Nintendo could lose a major share of the 3-5 year buyers.

The problem with HD is you Americans absolutley SWEAR HD is the norm in the rest of the world, or will be in coming years. I live in the Dominican Republic, a third world country with a lot of poverty. I am probably in the upper 1% of the social spectrum though, and so are all of my friends. But out of all the people I know..only 4 or so have HDTVs (myself included). That's not so many, you know? And whenever I go traveling, I notice most HDTVs are in the stores hehe and not in people's homes. Just because the US is so close to being 100% HD doesn't mean the rest of the world is catching on..Nintendo is appealing to a wider fanbase.

I heard the Wii has a PPU in it, which means stuff like Physics which the just now the PS3 and 360 can cope with (by using a different core or SPE) could do just as well :)

PPU not comfirmed yet...

"alienate people like Sony"

Because Sony is offering the highest end graphics with HD support? Alienate? Common man all they are doing is thinking of the NEXT-GEN.

Show me a rule that says next gen must equal 4x the resolution of the previous generation. Its all just marketing shpeil (dunno how you spell it) to make it sound more appealing to consumers.

I mean alienating as in to get the best out of the console you must spend $500/?500 and because its "next gen" you must also buy a tv thats capable of hi definition or you arent using it to its full potential.

What about all those people who have no need for hi definition, or dont have any access to hidefinition content negating the need for a hidef telly, they have to fork out for the "next gen" hi definition console just because the minority of people who do have expensive hi definition tvs expect that next generation must have 4x the resolution or else its not next gen enough for them.

Not to mention all the technical needs of pushing that much data around needing a stupidly fast processor and the best graphics processors around pushing the price up even further.

I do agree that i know noone with a hdtv, but i'd prefer the choice.

but i honestly believe the Wii is NOT next generation (as in current xbox360/ps3). its half a generation behind in my opinion and no controller can change that.

generation change has never been to do with gameplay, its been the ability to do more with the software because of hardware beef ups be it graphics or physics.

Realism for me is created through graphics.

waving a wand about probably would make it feel less real BUT thats just opinion on my part, i dont feel the controller when im into the game, its like another limb.

nintendo are digging a hole with the home console market it seems.

they totally own the handhelds market and i'll back them there. they know their stuff. the DS came off a charm and the GBA and before were perfection.

Maybe that's the problem, generation change hasn't had much to do with gameplay.

My only problem with your whole post is you keep restating this is your opinion (not a problem). Then you go and say something like 'nintendo are digging a hole with the home console market it seems'

Edited by Danrarbc641

The problem with HD is you Americans absolutley SWEAR HD is the norm in the rest of the world, or will be in coming years. I live in the Dominican Republic, a third world country with a lot of poverty. I am probably in the upper 1% of the social spectrum though, and so are all of my friends. But out of all the people I know..only 4 or so have HDTVs (myself included). That's not so many, you know? And whenever I go traveling, I notice most HDTVs are in the stores hehe and not in people's homes. Just because the US is so close to being 100% HD doesn't mean the rest of the world is catching on..Nintendo is appealing to a wider fanbase.

I only speak of which I know. I know America/Canada, Europe, and Japan are large buyers of home gaming consoles, and were are quite wealthy and technologically advanced, and I foresee HD having equal or majority of the home TV market before the next generation of consoles comes out. I don't believe that the DR or any other countries with a similar economic situation is the main focus of Nintendo's demographic target, which brings us back to the big 3 above, and their HDTV's in the near future.

However, this is not as big of a deal as them ignoring online game play, because the SD can still be played on HD, so it won't limit any player's ability to play a game, or feature. As such, it may not be as big of a deal for the average player.

No PPU in Revolution, I'm certain on that. Havok released middleware for Wii just like they did for the 360 & PS3. How well that runs on Wii is upto the more speculative minds. ;)

Check the Elebits gameplay video? I'm quite sure a regular Cube couldn't handle those physics. I think it's very possible Wii has some sort of PPU - probably something like Havok FX (GPU-supported dynamics)...

as i said earlier i am in the UK and i've never seen someone with a HDTV.

hd has only JUST started being advertised because ONE program (the world cup) will be broadcast in HD

I only speak of which I know. I know America/Canada, Europe, and Japan are large buyers of home gaming consoles, and were are quite wealthy and technologically advanced, and I foresee HD having equal or majority of the home TV market before the next generation of consoles comes out. I don't believe that the DR or any other countries with a similar economic situation is the main focus of Nintendo's demographic target, which brings us back to the big 3 above, and their HDTV's in the near future.

However, this is not as big of a deal as them ignoring online game play, because the SD can still be played on HD, so it won't limit any player's ability to play a game, or feature. As such, it may not be as big of a deal for the average player.

Europe isn't on the fast track yet, either (I've lived there, so I should know). What I mean by this is that, believe it or not, the rest of the world is taking its time. I mean over in the US you have HD content being thrown all over the place, while anywhere else it is seldom seen.

Interesting. I would have sworn the UK was ahead of the US in HD. Wern't you ahead of us in broadband?

Nope, the US is really the only place where HD is making any real headway.

As for broadband, the UK was basically the only other industrialized nation that could compete with the US on the pure crappyness of broadband service. But I think the UK is improving faster now.