SkypeOut now free to US and Canada

Just to be clear, this offer is only going to run until the end of this year. Of course that's a long 6+ months here, and they may extend it beyond that at any point, or decide to include other countries. We just don't know.

Just to be clear, this offer is only going to run until the end of this year. Of course that's a long 6+ months here, and they may extend it beyond that at any point, or decide to include other countries. We just don't know.

They are going to have to if other Messengers, etc, follow suit.

6 months is still a good period for any free service hehe.. now whats gonna be interesting is too see if yahoo and other companies will make their pc-phone service free because skype is obviously in direct competetion with them..

They are going to have to if other Messengers, etc, follow suit.

Yes, I'm pretty sure with this move, Microsot and AOL, possibly even Google will have to include some sort of similar (if not better) deal with their own messengers. This should be interesting.

6 months is still a good period for any free service hehe.. now whats gonna be interesting is too see if yahoo and other companies will make their pc-phone service free because skype is obviously in direct competetion with them..

Yes, as I said in my post, 6+ months is a long time. It'll certainly be interesting to see Yahoo and AOL/AIM and Google especially respond to this. I think if anyone, Google will come out with something kicking soon. Don't forget though, AOL/AIM is going to offer everyone a free phone number and unlimited incoming calls. So technically speaking, if you use AOL/AIM for incoming stuff, and Skype for outgoing, you'd never have to pay a cent for phone calls anymore :p

Just freaking awesome... I can't believe I gave my headset to someone. Now I have to go out and buy another one. Yet it's going to be worth it..

Yeah my money is on Google to do this next, followed by Yahoo.

Just freaking awesome... I can't believe I gave my headset to someone. Now I have to go out and buy another one. Yet it's going to be worth it..

I like using my regular Panasonic headphones along with the Logitech USB mic. You can get it only for just 12 bucks these days.

alot of people are having this problem I read. Skype doens't have the ip's set right. Some aren't shown a location or shown in U.S and they are. Who knows if it will be fixed.

damn, its not working for me.

Just to be sure, do you live in the US or Canada? :| If you don't live in the US or Canada it won't work.

Edited by LOC

Yeah my money is on Google to do this next, followed by Yahoo.

then microsoft with LIVEmessenger - always last

Just to be sure, do you live in the US or Canadan? :| If you don't live in the US or Canada it won't work.

has anyone tried this outside of the us and canada???

I've seen posts from people that are in the UK and France, it doesn't work. You must live in the US or Canada and must be calling someone from the US or Canada.

For the time being this is how it will be, but I'm pretty sure once everyone and their Mother is using this, or Google/Yahoo/MSN etc all do something similar, Skype will add either more countries to the list, or allow full on incoming and outgoing type stuff.

just click the dial tab and type:

+1 area_code phone_number

you must have the '+' before the 1

do not click the "Call phones" button and ignore the yellow space that says you need to buy credit

Yeah I know that part, but when it's dialing a red notice comes up saying I need to buy credit and the call fails. I'm using the newest skype.

Yeah I know that part, but when it's dialing a red notice comes up saying I need to buy credit and the call fails. I'm using the newest skype.

Ok, are you using the 2.5 beta? If you are, don't even bother putting in the + sign or anything. If you just use the dialpad and type say "6666661212" Skype will automatically put the + and a 1 in front when you hit the green call button.

And make SURE in the 1. box you have US or Canada selected. Then it will work as you'll see in the 2. box when you dial.

Does the recieving person get charged?

This would depend on their calling plans with the telco they have. My guess would be no, they wouldn't be charged. But it really depends on the plan they have. If they have an unlimited style plan, then obviously no. But if they only have a certain amount of minutes per month, then they might be.

Ok, are you using the 2.5 beta? If you are, don't even bother putting in the + sign or anything. If you just use the dialpad and type say "6666661212" Skype will automatically put the + and a 1 in front when you hit the green call button.

And make SURE in the 1. box you have US or Canada selected. Then it will work as you'll see in the 2. box when you dial.

Yeah, I noticed that. I have a 71.xxx.xx.xx IP address and that seems be causing problems with quite a few people trying skype out. =/