GameCube Lessons Learned?

GameCube Lessons Learned?

Reggie says the Wii will have a stronger launch than Nintendo's previous effort.

by Daemon Hatfield

May 25, 2006 - In a recent interview with Nintendo Power, Nintendo of America's newly-named president Reggie Fils-Aime claims the company has learned from the GameCube's mistakes and won't be repeating them when it launches the Wii this fall.

Fils-Aime admitted that the launch titles for the GameCube were not strong enough, and additional software was too slow in coming. The GCN launched November 18, 2001 with 12 titles. Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm were the only first party games to launch with the system.

This time out, Nintendo has apparently been more open with third party developers from much earlier on in an attempt to have more, higher quality titles available when the Wii launches.

"We have been sharing information and development tools with publishers since very early on in the process. We have communicated to them why it makes sense to develop for the platform, and why it makes business sense to bring their best current franchises and brand-new concepts to the platform," Fils-Aime said. "Those have been our key tools and tactics to make sure that publishers are on board with our strategy."

Nintendo had 27 playable Wii games on display this year at E3. So far, 16 titles are planned for the system's launch.

"From Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Ubisoft's Red Steel, the core gamers will be thrilled. With Tennis and WarioWare, we have titles that will reach the masses," he continued. "And, based on the sheer range of titles we've shown, we're confident that the entire first year of Wii's launch will be strong. So, I believe we are well on our way to addressing the key lessons coming out of the GameCube launch."

Source: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/710/710130p1.html

well we can always hope, i thought GCN, was going to be fine and people would buy it. It was the first of the last-gen console i bought, and i loved it for the exclusive Resident Evil games. But after i got through them and the first party games, their really wasn't any games left worth playing

I love Gamecube, but it did suffer. After it was clear that 3rd parties either didnt develop for it, or sucked at developing for it, I just waited for first party games to come out. Unfortunately thats months at a time though =|