• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Proper RAM Configuration

lisagauss    0

Was wondering if any one can help. Here's the thing, i recently installed 512MB of RAM on my pc and suddenly i started getting blue screens from windows xp (Stop 000000x8e), looked it up and support says that its due to faulty RAM. Since i bought that 512 RAM pretty cheap, i figured it was that. So i went ahead and paid the extra $$ and got some 512 RAM (SDRAM) from crucial...when i installed it yesterday i got two blue screens...one was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, i figured that was due to virus scanning Norton error because one of my .dat files from kazaa were missing. but then after i installed a program i got another blue screen and it read STOP 0x0000008e. Now, i really don't think that it is faulty RAM cause i have purchased from crucial b4 and their RAM is tested...could it be that there is some setting in the BIOS that is not right???? I have a PCCHIPS 830ML (I know, that board does sux!!! should have gotten an Asus) and an AMD athlon XP 1800+, i seee some settings for the RAM when i go into the BIOS like:

DRAM Timing Config

SDR/DDR CAS LAtency

RAS active timing

Prechage Time

if anyone has ever dealt with this problem, can u please tell me how you configured your BIOS.....any help at all is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

update-

latest crash shows the following:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP 0x000000D1

afd.sys

anyone please!!!!!

Roger H.    780

set then to detect by SPD. Turn bank interleave off, cas to 2.5 and test that.

lisagauss    0

here is my current settings SHoTTa35, what is in parenthesis means that these are the other possible values.

Graphic win size: 64M (4,8,16,32,64,128,256)

Dram timing Configuration: Normal (fast, ultra, safe)

SDR/DDR CAS Latency: SPD (2T, 3T)

SDR/DDR RAS Active Time: 6T (7T)

SDR/DDR RAS Precharge Time: 4T (3T)

Auto Detect DIMM/PCI CLK: enabled (disabled)

what do you think????!!!

chavo    1

This sounds like a problem with device drivers.

Did you install SP1? That might help.

Does this only happen when your machine is connected to a network/internet?

lisagauss    0

Yes i have sp1 installed...actually it was slipstreamed!!! since i am connected to my router i am always connected to the internet..... latest update:

latest crash shows the following:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP 0x000000D1

afd.sys

please help!!!!!!!!!!

nicodareus    0

Afd.sys is a WinSock driver. Are you running Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall? If you are, run LiveUpdate until you have the latest version of the software. Also are the drivers for the NIC up to date?

lisagauss    0

no im not running norton internet security or firewall, i am running Norton Anti Virus though.....yes my drivers are up 2 date..

lisagauss    0

thanx for the reply nicodareus, but i think the link u sent me might be broken..can u tell me what u searched for in google?? thanx again

chavo    1

Do a search on Microsofts site as well. Searching for DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL brings up alot of info on STOP errors.

nicodareus    0

Google Search for:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP 0x000000D1 afd.sys

and you will get 3 hits.

As far as chavo's recommendation, I looked at MS KB earlier and most of them seem to have the resolution of installing the SP, but you may want to do a more thorough check.

lisagauss    0

thanx alot guys for all the help and going out of your wy to help a fellow computer user....in class right now so can't really do any adjustments to pc....hs anyone looked at the earlier posts about my bios configuration?????? thanx again

pmcartney    0

I suspect a software conflict and the bios should work with default settings. Are you running something goofy like MouseWare? If so remove it from control panel. It definitely is a software issue. IF worse comes to worse clean install XP if possible and install only trusted apps.

--Rich

Ironman273    1,096

I had the same problem with my system when I originally built it and I found out the problem was I was running my RAM at 133 and it wasn't supporting it (I know, it was cheap RAM). Since I couldn't return it, I just clocked it down to 100 and had no problems since.

lisagauss    0

got another BSOD. two more actually, one right after the other:

first one:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP 0x0000000A

second one happened right after i rebooted from the first:'

Stop 0x0000008E

this is the third stick of 512 MB SDRAM that i put in, so it can't be the RAM....the one that is there npw is from crucial.

has anyone looked at my bios settings a little earlier in this thread. if anyone is knows what would be a proper setting please help!!!!!

nicodareus    0

Your BSODs seem to be related to the network, or at least two of them do. Search MSKB (http://support.microsoft.com) with your STOP codes and you will notice that they relate to network drivers/settings.

If you are not connected to the network and you remove your NIC, does it load up fine? I'm asking because of what I just stated above.

If not, reset your BIOS settings and try that.

lisagauss    0

well, just reinstalled OS with SP1 slipstreamed...after first boot, went to ms update, updated all drivers then rebooted, after login in got another BSOD without installing any software.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Stop 0x00000050

Now, i know it just can't be the RAM, cause its the third stick of 512 MB SDRAM that i put in and still get the damn BSOD!!! and if i were to switch to my old 256 MB SDRAM i would not any of these errors.....i must be something in my BIOS, or maybe its SP1 or maybe my power supply is not sending enough power, i have no idea, does any one please have any suggestions?????

pleazeee help getting tired of reinstalling over and over again!!!

Mellen_Hed    0

did you consider the fact that maybe your motherboard doesnt support 512 sticks?

always a possiblity...

nicodareus    0

If everything works before and after upgrading only the RAM it starts crashing, it is most likely the RAM issue.

Did you get one that supports the appropriate bus speed for your mobo? Or as Mellen states, can it even support 512?

Check the web site for your mobo manufacturer or the manual to verify it supports what you are getting.

lisagauss    0

yes my motherboard supports upto 1G of RAm, and the ram i got it from crucial, so i followed there recommendations for my particular motherboard (PC CHips MB830LMR)...Dman this MB really sux...i couldn't even find a cotact email for tech support at the pcchips website...guess thats what i get for buying cheap stuff!!!!!

neolander    0

read the manual of your mobo and find out how many banks of RAM that your mobo can fit in.

also please check your RAM to see wheather your RAM support pc133?

try to set your FSB to 100mhz to see wheather your system can start or not?

nicodareus    0

So you are positive it supports the bus speed for the RAM? Have you tried to reset the BIOS settings to default? Are there any BIOS updates as well?

Hmm yeah my roommate had bought a motherboard from a company I never heard of and could never get any updates, support, or anything else on it. Major loss for him since he couldn't use the upgrades he bought :(

lisagauss    0

if it didn't support 512 MB would the PC even start???? i keep reading the manual and all it says is the following:

"Support SDRAM up to 133 Mhz/DDR up to 266 Mhz memory bus. Maximum installed memory is 1GB. You cannot use SDRAM and DDR simultaneously"

lisagauss    0

forgot to add that there are 2 DDR slots and 2 SDRAM slots.

Visentinel    0

It could be that your mobo does support 512 sticks but some sort of fualt in the memory controller couses it to improperly address 512 megabytes of ram in 1 stick and when code is retreived from memory that is improperly addressed the data is a warzone and u simply get a BSOD.

:D i am simply speculating. But this kind of thing, some way or another is a true possibility.

You are using windows XP SP1... i was just thinking about memory controller software, such as emm386 cuasing errors in memory allocation, hmm does windows XP support changing the memory manager system files?

Dont mix SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM chips unless you are 100% sure that your mobo supports that kind of config.