NTL Upgrades

Try it this way.

http://192.168.100.1/

Login = root

pass = root

i've just tried this and is directly connected to the cable box [which is my modem] and i keep getting IE come up with "cannot find this page"

:blink:

can anyone help with any ideas? :blush:

i've just tried this and is directly connected to the cable box [which is my modem] and i keep getting IE come up with "cannot find this page"

It might only work with certain modems. I'm willing to bet you have a rather old modem thats not a Motorola or ambit 100-250.

It might only work with certain modems. I'm willing to bet you have a rather old modem thats not a Motorola or ambit 100-250.

well considering i've only been with ntl for a year now my modem isnt an old one lol. its a samsung set-top box

well considering i've only been with ntl for a year now my modem isnt an old one lol. its a samsung set-top box

That's the problem then....it's not a modem although it does have a modem in it. You can't use that webpage with a set top box. I'll try and find out what the set top box method is for you. :)

Just to add, if you plan on moving to 10mbit later on, you will have to get a modem installed as the Samsung is only capable of providing around 5-6mbit.

That's the problem then....it's not a modem although it does have a modem in it. You can't use that webpage with a set top box. I'll try and find out what the set top box method is for you. :)

ha, thanks :)

very much apprieciated

Can someone confirm that 800k sec download speed (max, 400k average) on my 10meg service is the norm?

4096000(4mbit) / 8 = 512000 (512k/sec).

If you're on 4mbit then your not getting the full speed, but it's not terrible and i know of people that ar egetting far worse on the 10mibt tarrif!

I have a 10Mb NTL connection now and I'm very happy with it, no problems at all. :D

NTL customer service is another matter however... :rolleyes: (but then you probably knew that :p)

Took them months after first contacting us to arrange for the NTL person to come round and install the cable modem, then after they did, we found out we needed a PIN number for it, which we got by ringing them. It didn't work. So we rang them (10p/min waiting for 15 minutes listening to generic phone music, then it automatically hung up -_-), rang them again (and waited for 15 mins more), and they told us they had accidentally sent us the old pin number, and that we had to ring again for a new one the next day... :crazy:

Anyways, at least most of the time it's a full 10 megs, pretty good upload speed, very low pings on games ^_^

Well im on the 10mbit. Sometimes the downloads blow me away, but mostly its just average, and thats ?35 per month.

It's not very good then. Alot of people don't get anywhere near 10mbit according to Cable Forum, hopefully the NTL network will improve for the people that are affected.

I hope this works for viewing the config on an NTL Samsung set top box (STB).

Chris W

Cable Forum Team

there isn't a similar config page for the STB, however from the normal tv screen, press page up, then page down, then blue on the remote.

This will give you the network status windows, check the SNR, pre and post RS errors, and then return power on page 2, on page 3 the QOS shows which configuration (ie speed) the stb has, and the last page is the event log.

Cable Forum

i just tried that and its not telling me anything useful... i tried an online speed tester and apparently i'm still at 1.9mb/s but its not explaining why my downloads are all running at 10kb/s or under lol. i'm lucky if i hit over 10kb/s

i am just second guessing and saying that they havnt done the upgrades in the area yet and its affecting my downloads. which sucks :( :cry: grrr NTL

the link wont work for you if you are behind a router its will only work if you are directly connected to the modem.

No it works perfectly fine behind a router.

I login to my silver NTL modem behind my WRT54G router wirelessly using admin/admin login for the modem and can manage the modem perfectly fine.

No it works perfectly fine behind a router.

I login to my silver NTL modem behind my WRT54G router wirelessly using admin/admin login for the modem and can manage the modem perfectly fine.

Same here with my WRT54GS.

Anyone wanting a fast upgrade immediately just phone up the BBteam at NTL and ask to have your 2mb to 4MB "activated" - I just did this saying my mates lines have gone to 4mb and the guy said no more other than "it's done for you right now"

Just had to reboot modem :p

Anyone wanting a fast upgrade immediately just phone up the BBteam at NTL and ask to have your 2mb to 4MB "activated" - I just did this saying my mates lines have gone to 4mb and the guy said no more other than "it's done for you right now"

Just had to reboot modem :p

Have you checked that you're config file actually says 4mb as apparently the only areas upgraded to 4mb so far are Cardiff, Swansea and Belfast as they have had the config file rolled out?

http://192.168.100.1/

login = root

password = root

Config should read:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 4096000 bps

Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 400000 bps

If you have, then can i ask what city you are in so i can report on Cable Forum that other areas are starting to be upgraded.

Thanks

the link wont work for you if you are behind a router its will only work if you are directly connected to the modem.

I'm on a Belkin router and it works fine :cool:

I'm in the Ilkeston, Nottingham area and not been upgraded (2MB atm). Hopefully within the next week or so I will be :rofl:

I'm connected wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54G and I can't access it with that IP.

Cable Modem or STB ? As it only works for 'most' newer NTL provided cable modems.

Great to see the 10mb package is becoming unlimited.

I'm with Telewest 10mb myself, which is unlimited.. but after the merger happened I feared they may introduce caps (like the 75Gb/month on NTL 10Mb).

Sweet :)

• 3 weeks later...

My NTL modem is a very, very old Teryon modem, around 6 years old at least. Probably needs to be upgraded!

On a related issue, the downtime in June has been horrific, I've barely been able to connect to NTL without uptime around 20% over the entire month of June and some of May. What's the chance of a reduced bill or something cause it's stupid. Is there an end in sight to this or what because the service status says 29th June but as of now it's still down!

My NTL modem is a very, very old Teryon modem, around 6 years old at least. Probably needs to be upgraded!

On a related issue, the downtime in June has been horrific, I've barely been able to connect to NTL without uptime around 20% over the entire month of June and some of May. What's the chance of a reduced bill or something cause it's stupid. Is there an end in sight to this or what because the service status says 29th June but as of now it's still down!

You won't be able to access that web page with a Terayon TJ210. Yes you could do with getting the latest Ambit 250 modem as this would allow you to get the full 10mbit unless it's congested in your area.

I'm assuming you've tried rebooting you're modem and router? Or even trying it without a router for a bit.

If i was you i'd phone NTL and tell them your modem keeps cutting out.They should have logs of this. Be warned though the call isn't free anymore.

Just a quick FYI, everyone should have now been upgraded by now. I'm getting 4mb solid speeds 24/7. There is also no more downtime for me now. Touch wood.