Macbook review

Alright, I don't think I saw any mention of this. Does your macbook suffer from the whine, chirp, and high-pitched noise (this particular one occurs when transferring large files) that the macbook pro is reported to have? There are tons of posts on the internet about almost all macbook pro's suffering from this defect, and supposedly it carries over to the regular macbook. I was all set to buy a macbook pro before I discovered this. These noises were why I sold my G5 (they gave me horrible headaches starting on the first night I owned the thing). Also, if you can't hear it, could you hear it on pre-dualcore G5's? The reason I ask is that some people aren't sensitive to the frequency it occurs on. Maybe if this noise is fixed on the macbooks it might be fixed on the next revision of the macbook pro that will hopefully use the merom.

great review dazzla, seems like we have similar taste in electronics, lol.

we have really similar gears and the other day i was just thinking about getting a macbook myself. if you're liking it, i am sure i will too.

Great review Dazzla!

I was wondering if you would be willing to put up a video of Vista Aero Glass so that we all can get that final visual proof. Thanks.

Aero Glass does work but I don't have Vista installed anymore. You just have to manually select the driver from the Vista DVD (I think it's the Intel Lakeport driver). There's a thread on it in the Apple discussions forums.

I am thinking about purchasing a laptop, and while originally it was going to be a Dell, I may consider a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I know you can get Office for Mac, but what other common apps, like LimeWire or Opera, for example? Do most things come in Mac versions, now? Also, is the only way to get a graphics card in the MacBook to buy a MacBook Pro instead?

^If you can't find it for the Mac, then you could install Windows and run it on Windows. :)

But I know that you can get Limewire and Opera for Mac. (Y)

Yeah, OS X has it's own version of Opera as well as Firefox, Camino, Safari and Omniweb. Mac users are pretty spoilt when it comes ot web browsers. A good P2P app for OS X is Acquisition, best P2P app I've used.

The only way to get a GPU in an Intel Mac laptop is with the Macbook Pro.

well I received my macbook today, two things to mention.

Mine does get hot, not hot to burn you, but hot enough for you to feel uncomfortable.

also, if you put your wrists on the the pad and it leans off the edge, because it is slighty sharp, it is uncomfortable.

Oddly, `i couldn't get the mac to connect to my belkin 64g with a WEP password, I had to remove the security to connect..

I wonder if there really is any point to buying a Dell laptop, then. Considering that the MacBook can run WinXP now. Is Boot Camp still in beta? Or has it hit is final release?

Its still in beta.

Has anyone experience the discoloration issue? After having mine for a little less than a month, I've just notice a very, very light brown color where my palm rests. I've read around and it seems like its a widespread problem.

I've only had mine for a short time now and have had no discoloration.

However that is really scaring me...

I wish it wasn't rubber and was a glossy surface (my girlfriends Toshiba Dynabook is glossy white and is great).

Apparantly nothing can shift the marks and it's caused by over heating...