Xbox going 'kiddy'?

This is from a newsletter I receive:

Last week, Microsoft confirmed a gaming-industry rumor that the company has purchased Rare, a well-known British game developer, in an effort to boost the Xbox's software library. Rare, which Nintendo used to partially own, is responsible for gaming hits such as Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark. The company will develop games exclusively for the Xbox and the Nintendo Game Boy Advance, Nintendo's portable gaming system. Rare is expected to develop titles with characters that appeal to children, a market relatively untouched by the Xbox.

So now the Xbox is going 'kiddy'? What will the 'we are mature gamers, we are mature gamers' say to this?

Originally posted by silly_walk

This is from a newsletter I receive:

So now the Xbox is going 'kiddy'? What will the 'we are mature gamers, we are mature gamers' say to this?

Halo 2, Desert Storm, Splinter Cell blah blah

Originally posted by neo1980

Halo 2, Desert Storm, Splinter Cell blah blah

No, no, I'm not making fun of Xbox. I thought that their whole target market was the 'mature' crowd and now they seem to be changing that a little.

By the way. Nintendo is considered kiddy and no amount of game listing (Resident Evil, PSO, Eternal Darkness) makes THAT image go away. So I will be interested to see how the Xbox fares with these so-called kiddy games.

You call Perfect Dark and GoldenEye "kiddy"?

I welcome the change. I can't wait to see some Rare titles on Xbox.

And sorry, I fail to see your reasons for calling the GameCube "kiddy"

Originally posted by DWZ

You call Perfect Dark and GoldenEye "kiddy"?

I welcome the change. I can't wait to see some Rare titles on Xbox.

And sorry, I fail to see your reasons for calling the GameCube "kiddy"

I'm NOT calling the Xbox kiddy, I'm saying that Xbox fanboys have repeatedly called Nintendo kiddy because they also targeted younger players and have given this as THE reason to buy an Xbox. My question is, what are they going to say now and why would Microsoft change their position on 'younger' games?

I am not bashing the Xbox, I couldn't care less who owns one. Have fun with it, that's what it's there for. Just leave the fanboyism at home (statement aimed at fanboys only, no insult intended to Xbox owners in general). Sheesh :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gooey

It's strange, I always got the impression that the people who called the GC kiddie were not that old themselves, you know the 14 - 20 year old bracket...

Me too, the ones who NEED to feel mature. But that's another thread :p

Well, it's not like Microsoft is trying to keep all E-rated games off their console. They already had Shrek, Crash Bandicoot, and Taz (of Looney Tunes fame), and I'm sure Blinx and ToeJam and Earl 3 will appeal to some younger gamers also.

Microsoft is trying to keep the general audience for their games a little older, and I'm sure they will be able to do this.

i know it sounds cornish..

but since rare was bought by mircosoft which means mircosoft can port or have it made for pc..

IMAGINE this..

Perfect Dark online..multiplayer madness..

now thats something for us to look forward to :ninja:

or goldeneye 007 for just online? that'd kick a$$

oh well lets see what rare can cook up for mircosoft..

Hey! I think some of those 'kiddie' games are a lot of fun!

So WATCH IT!

Just because a game doesn't contain blood, gore, and sex doesn't mean it must be just for little kids and can't possibly be fun.

Come on..grow up people.

Originally posted by nic

Hey! I think some of those 'kiddie' games are a lot of fun!

So WATCH IT!

Just because a game doesn't contain blood, gore, and sex doesn't mean it must be just for little kids and can't possibly be fun.

Come on..grow up people.

I agree 100% :D How come Mario Sunshine sold 400,000 copies in Japan in just four days? It doesnt matter if a game is 'kiddie' or not.. its the gameplay that counts.

Originally posted by o_87

I agree 100% :D How come Mario Sunshine sold 400,000 copies in Japan in just four days? It doesnt matter if a game is 'kiddie' or not.. its the gameplay that counts.

Unfortunately, some people feel that the game must be 'mature' to matter. For this reason, fanboys put down the Gamecube on the principle that kiddie = not a real game. My question is still, now that there might be so-called 'kiddie' games for Xbox, will there be revolt or will the Xbox owners compliment Rare on their 'kiddie' games? This might require a large mental shift for the fanboys.

Originally posted by silly_walk

Unfortunately, some people feel that the game must be 'mature' to matter. For this reason, fanboys put down the Gamecube on the principle that kiddie = not a real game. My question is still, now that there might be so-called 'kiddie' games for Xbox, will there be revolt or will the Xbox owners compliment Rare on their 'kiddie' games? This might require a large mental shift for the fanboys.

Well, you question has already been answered... Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are kiddie? And purchasing Rare is not a bad move by M$ at all... Rare just gives them more software to offer to potential customers..

Rare is expected to develop titles with characters that appeal to children, a market relatively untouched by the Xbox.

This is what I am talking about, NOT GOLDENEYE OR PERFECT DARK!!! I know what Rare makes, I also read the above quote and it says titles for children.

That's sad for Nintendo. Rare and Nintendo revolutionized gaming. I personally think that Xbox's future in the gaming industry is not stable. Xbox is a computer and like any computer it gets obsolete in a year. Capcom came back to Nintendo and I'm sure Rare will eventually so it's all good. As for Xbox going "kiddy" Porsche decided to build and SUV but it doesn't mean that Porsche has gone soft. They're still best in power, performance and price. Similar to Xbox, although it doesn't have much history, Xbox still has some good games.

First of all, Xbox isnt a PC. If it was a PC you would be able to install an OS on it. You can only run Xbox games on it so it is a console. And it will last more than a year.. its supported by M$...

"Halo 2, Desert Storm, Splinter Cell blah blah"

Heh, Splinter Cell is multiplatform. Comming to the Cube.

In reality the Cube is getting a lot of great games in every ESRB rating level. Very balanced. Nobody is kiddy here (well maybe Sony, they're censoring BMX XXX :p j/k)

Originally posted by NeoSigma

That's sad for Nintendo. Rare and Nintendo revolutionized gaming. I personally think that Xbox's future in the gaming industry is not stable. Xbox is a computer and like any computer it gets obsolete in a year.

That is sure twited logic. Computers go obselete because the technology moves too fast. There are new upgrades for even the "top of the line" computer every week or so. Things like the X-box & ps2 are do not get upgraded. They're kinda like macs, buy and your set for a good few years, until the next BIG upgrade. ex. xbox 2 ps3

If you think that XBox is going "kiddie" like Nintendo, you're wrong. The difference between XBox and GC is that Nintendo was marketing ALMOST-exclusivly to the younger generations. Microsoft is just adding OPTIONS to their game-base. So M$ will not be cutting back any of their "mature" games to make room for their "kiddie" games.

Most people who call games "kiddy" never actually lay a finger on the game itself. Just because there's bright colours and cartoon style characters does not neccesarily defect gameplay or make it any easier.

Resident Evil or Mario? I'll take Mario anyday.

Originally posted by Kola

Resident Evil or Mario? I'll take Mario anyday.

Kola, maybe no one else here agrees w/ you but I'm starting to think the same way. I'm all for gore in games but most often than not I would play games just cause they're full of gore or because they're a shoot em up. Not cause of the plot or how much fun they are to play. And some ppl here won't admit it but they know they're doing the same thing.

As long as I'm not playing a game w/ bad engrish "All your base are belong to us" or intolerable childish characters I really don't care anymore. I'll take Mario over GTA3, SOF 2 or UT 2003 anyday. Really.

I'm getting a Gamecube instead of upgrading my PC. Its cheaper and I just need a few games to take a break every once in a while.

Thank you DrunkMaster.

I've just bought Super Mario Sunshine and it is a really good game. I havn't been this hooked on any game for quite a while and I'm reasonably up to date with PC games.

The visuals are stunning and some of the tasks are really hard and I don't see how a 'kid' could do most of these things.

I can agree with you there. It matters about the gameplay

About the Rare thing, its only for the better.

Perfect Dark and Conkers bad fur day are not "kiddy". But it doesnt matter, even if it was kiddy it would be good for Xbox. Alot of gamers are kids, and it would be a good reason for a parent to get their son a Xbox. All consoles have kiddy games so this topic is not even relevant.