PSP: One year later

It's 17 million, not 10.

17 Million SHIPPED. 10 Million SOLD. Give me a link that proves otherwise and I'll edit this post saying I'm a dumb n00b.

i love my psp but there's no game that makes it a must buy, lumines is good, legend of heroes was a nice portable rpg (i had a blast playing it at work), tales of eternia was nice to replay (since i didnt quite finish it on the psx).

nothing that great yet, but i still love my psp and i wouldnt sell it

oh...and i love the homebrew stuff too :D i can have soooo many snes games and genesis on my 2gb stick :p

edit: oh and did i mention the screen :drool:

Movies, music, tv shows but.... no killer games =/

And no movies, in the future. I've read somewhere that the movie companies are leaving PSP.

17 Million SHIPPED. 10 Million SOLD. Give me a link that proves otherwise and I'll edit this post saying I'm a dumb n00b.

Yes but look at what it says on gamespot's page - it says 10 million "shipped", which Mojo was correcting.

Sony has this mindset that releases all these new so called "innovative" ideas will sell the product....here is the simple truth; you release a gaming devise, then release games to make users want to buy it. Look at the PS3...the price tag is huge and there is to much of a focus on future technology. There are good games, but still, which has honestly taken priority, games or technology?

The issue with games is not that Sony hasn't released good games, it's that pretty much all game devs have just ported games from consoles to the PSP. As they say in the GameSpot vid, that just doesn't work.

But this year, we're seeing some good games.

Daxter is supposed to be excellent. There's Killzone, Vice City Stories, Ratchet & Clank and Tekken coming soon, none of which are just direct ports. The games side of the PSP has definitely been slow (which is why I don't have one yet), but things are picking up.

If they bring out more games and stop releasing so many movies, the system could grow. I really do love mine, I just wished I had a reason to own more than the 4 games I have.

i love my psp but there's no game that makes it a must buy, lumines is good, legend of heroes was a nice portable rpg (i had a blast playing it at work), tales of eternia was nice to replay (since i didnt quite finish it on the psx).

nothing that great yet, but i still love my psp and i wouldnt sell it

oh...and i love the homebrew stuff too :D i can have soooo many snes games and genesis on my 2gb stick :p

edit: oh and did i mention the screen :drool:

i agree. i love my psp, i wouldn't sell it. it's been fun for games, and watching tv shows at work. but it hasn't been overwhelming in any sense. i expect a lot more still.

The only thing the psp is missing is good games that take advantage of its online features. Other than that its perfectly fine.

Umm, if you looked at the GameSpot video you will see that they say 10 million shipped, which was announced way back in October. It is now 17 million shipped. Amount sold would be somewhat less, but my post wasn't suggesting that. Just saying GameSpot was going by some old numbers.

I agree with a lot of what they said, but it appears Sony is trying to focus more on games now as there's a lot of good titles coming out for the PSP.

Wow I still remember how I was dead set on getting one of these when it was announced. Now I'm kinda glad I didn't buy one... I'm still really surprised that the DS managed to win. Oh well, I can't wait to get a DS Lite!

Well sir, if you read more carefully, you wouldn't been branded as a "dumb n00b".

Wow I still remember how I was dead set on getting one of these when it was announced. Now I'm kinda glad I didn't buy one... I'm still really surprised that the DS managed to win. Oh well, I can't wait to get a DS Lite!

i got a DS Lite yesterday, so far it rocks. :yes:

I would get a PSP if it was cheaper ($200 more than a DS Lite), it didn't use UMD or Memory Stick (i have an aversion to proprietary format's, give me SD cards any day), and didn't have silly restrictions on certain things (i read it could only play certain formats of video's in 4:3, no widescreen)

Oh yeah, and supported Homebrew better (i have this same issue with my DS, open it up Nintendo!)

I'd be buying one right now if I could get one that was easy to run homebrew on. I don't mean pirated stuff - there are no psp games that really interest me. I want to run the emulators really.

I remember buying my PSP on launch day, and since then, I've bought a total 5 games for it, and haven't bought any in months. In addition, at least one of the games I've purchased (MG:A) ended up being crap. On the other hand, I've owned my DS Lite for maybe a month or two now and have purchased 6 or 7 games by now, with more on the way if I can track them down. There are just too many problems with the PSP. Here are the ones that bug me the most:

1. Developers apparantly have no idea what infrastructure mode is on the PSP, because I can count the numbers of supposedly "multiplayer" games that support it on one hand. Ridiculous.

2. Sony should have used a cartridge or flash card medium for games rather than the UMD. Load times are unbearable on some titles, and the mechanics of having a drive in a machine that small, while impressive, likely do nothing to help battery life, which is the most important thing on a handheld.

3. Developers aren't making handheld games, they're making crappy ports of console games that simply don't work on the PSP. Nintendo, by having the touch screen on the DS, has forced developers to create games that work on a handheld system.

4. Sony should have had two analog sticks on the PSP. Real sticks, not that POS nub that's on there now. Make it removable for storage, I dunno, but that thing on there now makes my hand hurt after using it for more than a couple minutes.

5. Open it up! Sony should have a board that reviews homebrew applications and certifies them for use on the PSP. This allows the system to be used for a number of different applications while allowing Sony to make sure that nothing illegal is being stuck on there.

2. Sony should have used a cartridge or flash card medium for games rather than the UMD. Load times are unbearable on some titles, and the mechanics of having a drive in a machine that small, while impressive, likely do nothing to help battery life, which is the most important thing on a handheld.

See, this is one of the big problems. When I want to play handheld games, I do NOT want to be sitting there waiting for load times. I want to be able to turn it on get playing, save anywhere, and turn it off again.

See, this is one of the big problems. When I want to play handheld games, I do NOT want to be sitting there waiting for load times. I want to be able to turn it on get playing, save anywhere, and turn it off again.

i have a psp and i would love it except for the load times are utter ****eeee.

Er, no - UMDs have the capacity required. Cartidges don't, and flash is expensive.