PSP: One year later

Er, no - UMDs have the capacity required. Cartidges don't, and flash is expensive.

UMDs have the capacity required for straight console ports, which is something that the PSP does not need. Handheld, portable games should be more minimalistic, and for that purpose, a cartridge or something along those lines is fine.

Alternatively, if Sony were feeling really adventurous, they should have released the PSP with a 1GB card, standard, and set up kiosks at retail locations (as well as an iTunes-esque program for the home user) where you could electronically purchase and download games.

Why should handheld games be "minimalistic"??? Just because you think so? And/or because you're a fan of the "minimalistic" Nintendo games?

It is crappy that devs have just ported over console games. But things are looking up. Just wait for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - that will be designed for the PSP, and the PSP is capable of handling it. Do you think the DS could ever handle such a game? I think not. Cartridges are not enough for the possibilities on the PSP. It'd be a pretty sad sight to see the PSP's functions limited by disc capacity.

1GB memory stick for PSP games? How many games do you think would fit on that?? Probably 1. And then you wouldn't be able to use all the other functions. And personally, I'm not ready for digital distribution. I want something solid when I buy a game. And I think most consumers feel the same.

i got a DS Lite yesterday, so far it rocks. :yes:

I would get a PSP if it was cheaper ($200 more than a DS Lite), it didn't use UMD or Memory Stick (i have an aversion to proprietary format's, give me SD cards any day), and didn't have silly restrictions on certain things (i read it could only play certain formats of video's in 4:3, no widescreen)

Oh yeah, and supported Homebrew better (i have this same issue with my DS, open it up Nintendo!)

I went for the DS over the PSP for the same reasons. Sony always charge waaaay too much for thier stuff. It's been out a year already, there is no way they can justify still charging this much.

As far as homebrew though, it's really easy on the DS. All you need is a flashcart and a passthrough device and away you go, and you can use any type of flash media you want.

Why should handheld games be "minimalistic"??? Just because you think so? And/or because you're a fan of the "minimalistic" Nintendo games?

It is crappy that devs have just ported over console games. But things are looking up. Just wait for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - that will be designed for the PSP, and the PSP is capable of handling it. Do you think the DS could ever handle such a game? I think not. Cartridges are not enough for the possibilities on the PSP. It'd be a pretty sad sight to see the PSP's functions limited by disc capacity.

You could say the same thing about the PSP not being capable of games like Trauma Centre, Ouendan, Metroid Prime, ect... Sure, the graphics are better for the PSP, but it will never be able to have the unique gameplay that the DS offers.

Now I'm not saying the PSP isn't a great little system. But with it's high price, proptriety media formats, and lack of original games, it doesn't hold a candle against the DS.

Yeah but I don't want that "unique" gameplay. For me, touch screen and dual screen is a gimmick because it can't be used in complex games - you need 2 pairs of eyes and 3 hands to be able to use the two screens and the buttons and the touch screen feature.

I want the console experience on a handheld - that's good graphics, good gameplay, and something that'll keep me busy for a while.

my psp buzz has died down now to be honest, lack of good games is really annoying, although i thoroughly enjoyed GTA (coz it was a long game and worth every penny) i dont the see any good games coming for it yet... i mean what happened to GT4 Handheld?? Guess its time to buy a DSLite when it hits the UK

my psp buzz has died down now to be honest, lack of good games is really annoying, although i thoroughly enjoyed GTA (coz it was a long game and worth every penny) i dont the see any good games coming for it yet... i mean what happened to GT4 Handheld?? Guess its time to buy a DSLite when it hits the UK

GTA Vice City Stories coming October. The only reason I haven't sold mine.

Yeah whatever did happen to Gran Turismo Mobile ? I remember the superimposed screenshot on the PSP being one of the first pictures released :D

edited noticed someone already asked question.

Yeah whatever did happen to Gran Turismo Mobile ? I remember the superimposed screenshot on the PSP being one of the first pictures released :D

edited noticed someone already asked question.

It's coming? Maybe?

I sold mine because there were no good games. Loco Roco looks really fun but I don't want to keep a PSP for like three or four games. I dunno, it WAS cool back when I bought it ... but now, after selling it, I don't regret it at all.

I love my PSP, there i said it. It is a thing of beauty. It makes me happy.

I am old enough to remember bbc micros and zx spectrums and now i have something that will play games, video, podcasts and music!!!! It allows you to surf the web and its portable! I can play poker on it multiplayer online!!!

Some of you guys are really hard to please This thing is a gift from the gods. When i am sitting on a plane and i spark up the psp to watch somthing i have downloaded, grown men look at me in awe, and with such jelousy its frightening.

It's shiny, black and does cool stuff! and when I was a kid they didnt even have something this cool in scifi movies!!!!

So why dont you go to the place where you discarded PSP is lying, stick it on charge, give it a hug, and see if there is anything good to down load to it that will make random passers by insane with envy!

Feel free to flame me but i think is a shiny black slice of Heaven and we should be happy to own one.

thats one thing the psp is great for. airplanes. watch movies, listen to music, and play games. 2 years ago i brought my laptop on the plane, it was a pain. last year i used my psp, it was perfect.

Movies, music, tv shows but.... no killer games =/

How about the follow up to metal gear 3 and silent hill origins?