ZoneAlarm 6.5.700 versions released

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

just installed 6.1 and froze my system. :|

Edited by Cierro

Zonealarm is a phenominally powerful (too powerful), zealous and overbearing suite of apps. It would be Fantastic if it were less prone to causing system stability problems.

*Cue Zonealarm bashers*

I have version 6.1.744 (with Anti-virus), and it works a charm. Infact, I barely even know it's there, apart from the rare program permission popup. It's pretty light on resources aswell. Of course, I hope this update doesn't screw that up.

Im not bashing Zonealarm, but I used to get BSODs whenever i used to use it, even after upgrading to the latest version. Im not going back from Sygate (Y)

I haven't had any problems since using ZoneAlarm nor have I had any BSOD :D .

PSG22?

*Cue Zonealarm bashers*

I have version 6.1.744 (with Anti-virus), and it works a charm. Infact, I barely even know it's there, apart from the rare program permission popup. It's pretty light on resources aswell. Of course, I hope this update doesn't screw that up.

WHAT!? I hope your joking, it slows my system to a crawl and vsmon.exe is the most memory hogging, largest running process on my computer bar full size apps. It takes up more memory than explorer! I've been looking for an alternative for ages but loads seem to be going un-supported or are just as memory hogging. Anyway, I hope this update fixes the issues with the privacy settings not working atall.

WHAT!? I hope your joking, it slows my system to a crawl and vsmon.exe is the most memory hogging, largest running process on my computer bar full size apps. It takes up more memory than explorer! I've been looking for an alternative for ages but loads seem to be going un-supported or are just as memory hogging. Anyway, I hope this update fixes the issues with the privacy settings not working atall.

Well, at the moment, vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe are collectively taking about 17MB, which IMO is not alot at all (infact, Winamp is taking more memory). And when I start up Windows, ZoneAlarm starts in the taskbar almost straight away, unlike Norton (which I used to have), which DID slow down my system and took ages to start. Like I said, I barely even notice it, my system is pretty much unaffected by it, so when I say it's light on resources, it IS from my experience.

I use to run Norton Corporate and it would take 30-40 seconds to get up and running on my system as compared to ZoneAlarm being ready to go almost instantly.

The new version is quite nice and just as user friendly as past editions. Definently keeping me a loyal customer.

I'd always had problems with ZoneAlarm after the release of version 5, particularly with it constantly forgetting settings/rules. The database would be constantly corrupted -- way too easily.

This update however, looks very nice. Does anyone know if the above problem has been fixed yet?

Here are the changes.

Zone Labs

Wow, they've stopped pop-ups during games now. Thanks Zonelabs! Very good feature, just what I need.

Edit: Just realised that sounded very sarcastic... not intended.

ZoneAlarm is one of the best software firewalls out there. Nonetheless, I quit using it after I got my x64 system set up and now I have no plans to use it anyway. Windows Firewall does a good enough job.

sharing my experience

downloaded free version in order to upgrade 6.1.744

chose a clean install; got an endless loop of this error while the installer was copying files over

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 26

Date: 6/5/2006

Time: 5:56:13 PM

User: N/A

Computer: edit

Description:

Application popup: vsmon.exe - Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 55 could not be located in the dynamic link library VSDATA.dll.

Had to end up force quitting all ZA processes to kill the installer, uninstall through Add/Remove Programs, reboot, deleted C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs and all dlls & sys files in C:\Windows\System32 that originated from zonelabs, reinstall. Now it is working like a charm. Nothing unique about my system besides Cisco VPN Client installed (XP SP2 all patches)

I think ZoneAlarm 6.5 ain't quite ready... I was doing great with 6.1, but 6.5 froze my system into the next ice age. Luckily I was able to shut it down and get 6.1 back on there... :pinch:

I think ZoneAlarm 6.5 ain't quite ready... I was doing great with 6.1, but 6.5 froze my system into the next ice age. Luckily I was able to shut it down and get 6.1 back on there... :pinch:

Same here.

I also noticed that by updating, it seems to make my connection FASTER :o

I guess not, according to Speakeasy Speedtest:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 0 kbps (0 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 55 kbps (6.9 KB/sec transfer rate)