Great News, FlashGet IS FREEWARE!

Man....flashget (used to be jetcar)... Back in the day of 56k flat-rate and 2hr cut offs..

I used this for hefty downloads, left it running overnight to download 'huge' files. I set it to redial my ISP when the connection dropped.

Might check it out again. It rocked back then (with the ads removed via adaware), I'm sure it rocks even more now

dude those were the days... :o

:D I would be soooooo happy when jetcar finally finished a 6mb file after a couple hours

So in what case would you need FlashGet? I don't get why you wouldn't just download straight from the site.

Someone convince me to download this.

Sweet, just installed, got avast complaining about the dll, removed it, install was fine, i dont see any adware ...... very nice integration for fiefox with that flashgot plug, cheers

I get Win32:Adan-062 detected as adware by Avast.

Quarantined/Deleted it and FlashGet still works.

pfft, silly av progs ;)

How is this compared to IDM?

IDM's advantage is it is able to integrate with opera unlike flashget which adds only an context menu entry.

However, flashget has many more advances features, like it allows you to controll no of parts a file is split into on the fly, you can controll bandwidth used by flashget etc. Its interface is also better.

This is one of the oldest download managers and still remains my favourite.

unlike flashget which adds only an context menu entry

I got it to catch files from Opera 9. Perhaps you may want to check advanced>plug-ins in Opera? However, I cannot spot any new item on my context menus. BTW, has anyone tried the advertised rtsp and mms downloading features?

My second post ;)

I get Win32:Adan-062 detected as adware by Avast.

Quarantined/Deleted it and FlashGet still works.

Same here. It detected it when it was installing but I just deleted it permanently. Using it right now to download Windows Vista and have had no problems at the moment.

PSG22™

I got it to catch files from Opera 9. Perhaps you may want to check advanced>plug-ins in Opera? However, I cannot spot any new item on my context menus. BTW, has anyone tried the advertised rtsp and mms downloading features?

My second post ;)

I havent downloaded this version yet, but atleast in prior versions integrating it with opera was a lot of work. I had blogged about it. I am going to download this thing tonite.

It's finally free :D I've been using FlashGet since the one of the very first releases (ah the old 56k days!) without fail. Love this prog to death :hug:

I've been using "Internet Download Manager" and I tested both of these just now. Same file in IDM got a steady 650KB/sec, in flashget 500 KB/sec.

So in what case would you need FlashGet? I don't get why you wouldn't just download straight from the site.

Someone convince me to download this.

Some sites simply won't let you download at your maximal connection speed, for me it's often the case with foreign sites, but it happens on others, too. What flashget does (and most download managers, too) is to break the download in several parts (10 is max using the prefs window, registry tweaking allows you to go up to 100 or so, but 10 is more than enough - 15 or more kills my laptop harddisk) so your download is faster. Basically think eMule/bittorrent/kazaa - they all download several pieces of the file at the same time to speed up things. Rule of thumb - if you encounter a download that is coming in at e.g. 5K/s when your DSL/Cable/T3 can handle 100K/s+, and you don't want to wait for 30 minutes - place the download in flashget and watch the speed go up. Test it on any download that doesn't max out your download speed - if you place it in Flashget and if the server's upload speed is fast enough - you WILL max out your download speed. Also useful is the option to download all links on a webpage at the same time to a folder. Other than these cases, I just use the default browser download to save myself from running an extra program.

Keep in mind that some sites do not allow more than one or two connections per IP - in that case no download manager will help you (but it will still allow you to resume downloads more reliably than the built-in browser download capabilities)

I havent downloaded this version yet, but atleast in prior versions integrating it with opera was a lot of work. I had blogged about it. I am going to download this thing tonite.

You are probably using custom menus. Switch to the standard ones and see if the entries are there, then if you know how - copy the relevant lines from the standard_menu.ini to your custom one in your profile folder.

edit: Oops, I thought you'd tried already. In any case, you will probably need to copy the lines if you ever customised your menus (I do, because I do not like the various options I never use)

Nice that it's free now, but I've switched to Gigaget. It's very similar, but it really speeds up most downloads. Some files that I get like 30-40kb/s without it, I get 800-900 with. My only problem with it is no Opera support, so I have to copy/paste the links in, but they are adding support in the next build.

How is flashget compared to reget? I've been using reget for a while and think it is a very good d/l manager. It really gives me a speed boost and the mirror searching is nice too.

Does flashget search for mirrors and automatically add them to the list of sources and d/l from all of them at once? Can I manually add a mirror to the list myself? Sometimes reget won't find mirrors for Nero, so I have to manually add those myself.

Edit: One other thing I like about reget is that it lets me look inside of zip files and select only the files I want. I haven't used that feature much, but sometimes it is a nice thing to have.

Keep in mind that some sites do not allow more than one or two connections per IP - in that case no download manager will help you (but it will still allow you to resume downloads more reliably than the built-in browser download capabilities)

Many also let you connect to multiple mirrors at once getting around this problem as well as avoiding overloaded mirrors. (Y)

I noticed that when I installed 1.72 (the first released 1.72) there was no ad bar, however it still said it was shareware.

Im not entirely surprised that this is now freeware.