More PS3 Downgrades On The Way?

And if you knew anything about how programming multithreaded programs/games youd know its really difficult, so if anything the speed is more important than coding for multi-cores.

So any performance gain sony thinks they can have by having 7 SPEs instead of 3 cores isnt as much as theyed like to believe.

FYI the cell CPU isnt multicore, it just has 7 threads, which means its slower than a multicore cpu.

Edited by Sheppard

It's a random conversation so i don't really buy it; but if it is true i wouldn't be happy.

The cell being turned down i can deal with; low yields, fine, from how it works, a few hundred mhz up or down don't sound like they'd make too much of a difference anyway. The PSU thing is a bit crap though; the PS3 has been getting bigger and bigger, and a sony Exec even blasted the 360 for having a brick at one point, and if they start using them too, it'll be pretty hypocritical.

What worried me most was that the dev consoles are using 2GB of ram. That's 8 times the amount a normal PS3 has, and its worrying that they need so much to get the performance they were showing off at E3.

The PS3 hype-thing has been really dissapointing for me; we were all expecting MGS4 style graphics from the TGS, then they downgraded the graphics; we were assured of dual 1080p hdmi (no one would use it, but the fact it could pump that much video is reassuring), nothing came of it; we were shown router-like abilties, it has a single ethernet port; we all thought its graphics would blow the 360 away, but, while it will certainly be better in the long run, at the moment it simply doesn't look that great.

This is seriously getting annoying and I doubt anybody cares anymore.

I would also point out that some people who believe this are the same people who didn't believe the "source" that confirmed the inquire article was wrong. " We don't trust random developers/sources."

Why wouldn't you want to have a power brick? All that extra heat inside he console, not a cool idea.

An external power brick is a non-issue for me and a couple of other people here. But the PS fans kept touting that internal PSU is "much" better, I wouldnt be surprised if they flopped again.

This does not say the RSX was downgraded. It also says it is finished, which contradicts with The Inquirer. You can't believe both sources at the same time.

RSX is done, Inquirer seems to be saying that the yeilds are not good enough for the spec speeds, two different things. Also Inquirer provided one genuine leak recently, doesnt mean their other stories hold as much credibility.

Pfft, they post a lot of negative Sony articles, not surprising at all. :laugh:

News to me, I remember that they were hardcore pro-PS3.

Nice salt, jerry :laugh:

(Y)

Thanks!

I would also point out that some people who believe this are the same people who didn't believe the "source" that confirmed the inquire article was wrong. " We don't trust random developers/sources."

OK, on one hand you had a genuine Sony slide and on the other hand you had "anonymous devs", I think it was pretty obvious there, unless you are the anonymous source yourself. :laugh:

I think you also missed the salt picture in the initial post, it was there for a reason and you chose to ignore it. I also asked whether this supposed "insider" provided any accurate leaks earlier or not.

An external power brick is a non-issue for me and a couple of other people here. But the PS fans kept touting that internal PSU is "much" better, I wouldnt be surprised if they flopped again.

I'm not a fan of them, especially when you only have room on high shelves and the cord length on either side of the brick isn't long enough to let it sit on the ground or place it next to the unit, so you kinda have to improvise. And then they might overheat behind stands, so yeah, not for me.

RSX is done, Inquirer seems to be saying that the yeilds are not good enough for the spec speeds, two different things. Also Inquirer provided one genuine leak recently, doesnt mean their other stories hold as much credibility.

Actually the article mentions the specs are not final ("Speed, OK, but not final spec at this point in time leaves precious little room for debugging before the console release."), which conflicts with what Kotaku's "source" says. There's a lot of misinformation being passed around these days. It would be great if we could just wait till the PS3 release before we comment on 'final' specs.

News to me, I remember that they were hardcore pro-PS3.

It may depend on the news poster, but they've posted heaps of negative PS3 news, certainly a far cry from being pro-PS3.

Actually the article mentions the specs are not final ("Speed, OK, but not final spec at this point in time leaves precious little room for debugging before the console release."), which conflicts with what Kotaku's "source" says. There's a lot of misinformation being passed around these days. It would be great if we could just wait till the PS3 release before we comment on 'final' specs.

Well I did say that one genuine leak recently by Inquirer doesnt mean their other stories hold as much credibility.

It may depend on the news poster, but they've posted heaps of negative PS3 news, certainly a far cry from being pro-PS3.

True. I'm not much familiar with Kotaku, its newsposters or "insiders". Which is why I was asking whether this supposed insider provided accurate leaks earlier or not.

i'd definitely be inclined to consider this high conjecture and thus not believe it, however if it does turn out to be true.. it really, really wouldn't suprise me, considering sony's history of the cliche broken promises.. they love to overhype products and then scale back to realism and expect that their fanbase is ignorant and gullible enough to still spend the uncaled-back price that was announced months/years ago, yet what that price actually gets them is specs finalized just months before launch and as it turns out, those specs are a lot lower than their promised/overbragged about ones aforementioned.

not trying to rag on sony but they need to get it together and actually have a realistic spec-expectation announcement rather than just spout off something really great just to try to gain hype that turns out to make them look like the trashy company they are. their tendency is to overspec and underachieve, all whilst keeping the same price or even making it higher. i'm flippin sick of sony.

after having said that, i'll digress a bit and say that i do hope this isnt' true and that sony can actually keep to what their recent feature/spec-list was to 1) maintain at least a tidbit of dignity and 2) to maybe keep my interest in **maybe** buying a PS3 if the game selection is good.

Well I did say that one genuine leak recently by Inquirer doesnt mean their other stories hold as much credibility.

And where was it confirmed to be genuine and still current? There was one 'genuine' slide from March. Apart from that, the rest of the article appeared to be conjecture from the same guy who you are now saying had little credibility.

And where was it confirmed to be genuine and still current? There was one 'genuine' slide from March. Apart from that, the rest of the article appeared to be conjecture.

The slide is genuine, the fact that nobody is refuting it is enough. Besides the "anonymous devs" confirmed it too. :laugh: The interpretation was amateur at best (typical Inquirer) it never made sense to begin with.

The slide is genuine, the fact that nobody is refuting it is enough.

Now, the slide is probably genuine, but just because nobody is refuting it does not mean much at all. Most companies do not comment on rumours.

Besides the "anonymous devs" confirmed it too. :laugh:

They sure did, if they exist. But if they do exist, they debunked the entire article. And if they don't exist, then it was never confirmed.

The interpretation was amateur at best (typical Inquirer) it never made sense to begin with.

There was bad interpretation done by the 'source' as well, now if we can't trust that, how can we believe the rest of what he says? As it stands, you either believe The Inquirer's source, or Kotaku's source. You can't believe both know insider information since at least one is wrong, but there's always the chance neither are correct. Ah, it boggles the mind.

The fact is is that all devs are under NDA - they cannot talk about any specs until the day of the PS3 launch. Until then, we're going to keep getting these "anonymous dev" interviews. How credible they are, we won't be able to tell.

The problem is that I could just write up an interview with an anonymous dev and say the complete opposite to what's been said here, and you wouldn't know if it's made up or actually the truth.

Now, the slide is probably genuine, but just because nobody is refuting it does not mean much at all. Most companies do not comment on rumours.

Companies comment on rumors even Sony if they are totally BS and potentially damaging to their product.

They sure did, if they exist. But if they do exist, they debunked the entire article. And if they don't exist, then it was never confirmed.

They never debunked the specs, just the interpretation.

There was bad interpretation done by the 'source' as well, now if we can't trust that, how can we believe the rest of what he says? As it stands, you either believe The Inquirer's source, or Kotaku's source. You can't believe both know insider information since at least one is wrong, but there's always the chance neither are correct. Ah, it boggles the mind.

What the connection between Inquirer & Kotaku? They both could be wrong, one of them wrong or both could be correct.

RSX is done, for months now. The story from Inquirer you are quoting doesnt seem to say it isnt done but rather not upto spec Sony wants. From what I know, Nvidia has already "handed off" RSX to Sony, its upto them to fab it. Its also Sony's discretion on what the final speed is going to be.

Companies comment on rumors even Sony if they are totally BS and potentially damaging to their product.

Not always. There's been plenty of times that there has been a bad rumour about Microsoft or Sony and they have never commented, later to find out that the rumour was incorrect anyway.

They never debunked the specs, just the interpretation.

Yes, we know, and that was the whole point of it. I never said the specs (in the slide) were wrong, just the article itself was. That source could have just managed to get some old slides and pass off some BS to The Inquirer to go along with it. Who knows.

RSX is done, for months now. The story from Inquirer you are quoting doesnt seem to say it isnt done but rather not upto spec Sony wants.

It says two things. That the speed isn't yet final and that the specs for some of the chip haven't been finalized. The news poster also wouldn't have mentioned the need for debugging the specs if he thought they were final. Maybe his source got that mixed up too? Maybe his source knows very little? Kotaku's source did mention it has been final for some time now, so yes they do conflict. But like you said, grain of salt right? We could always just wait 5 months to see the PS3 in final form. That should answer a lot of questions.

Not always. There's been plenty of times that there has been a bad rumour about Microsoft or Sony and they have never commented, later to find out that the rumour was incorrect anyway.

Yes but this situation is different, Sony cannot disown their own slide.

It says two things. That the speed isn't yet final and that the specs for some of the chip haven't been finalized. The news poster also wouldn't have mentioned the need for debugging the specs if he thought they were final. Maybe his source got that mixed up too? Maybe his source knows very little? Kotaku's source did mention it has been final for some time now, so yes they do conflict. But like you said, grain of salt right? We could always just wait 5 months to see the PS3 in final form. That should answer a lot of questions.

Like I said earlier, you are mixing two different articles. Inquirer's one genuine leak doesnt make their other articles credible. And Kotaku is correct that RSX is complete, their other tidbits I'm not sure of.

Yes but this situation is different, Sony cannot disown their own slide.

Well no, but the slide isn't really showing anything bad, it was always just misinterpreted incorrectly.

Like I said earlier, you are mixing two different articles. Inquirer's one genuine leak doesnt make their other articles credible. And Kotaku is correct that RSX is complete, their other tidbits I'm not sure of.

Two different articles from the same source. Apart from one slide (which he could have gotten from anyone), The Inquirer's source has little credibility seeing how he totally misinterpreted the data, and is supossedly wrong about the RSX not being final, so the rest of what he said I would hold with little value. And then there's the Kotaku 'insider', which is just an unknown IM conversation. I mean really, there seems to be another one every week with no proof, little reliability and people showing rumours as fact. It's nothing new.

Well no, but the slide isn't really showing anything bad, it was always just misinterpreted incorrectly.

Hence Sony could not deny it, its their own material.

Two different articles from the same source. Apart from one slide (which he could have gotten from anyone), The Inquirer's source has little credibility seeing how he totally misinterpreted the data, and is supossedly wrong about the RSX not being final, so the rest of what he said I would hold with little value. And then there's the Kotaku 'insider', which is just an unknown IM conversation. I mean really, there seems to be another one every week with no proof, little reliability and people showing rumours as fact. It's nothing new.

I think you are mixing up things a little bit. You were using Inquirer's credibility (after one genuine leak) to smash Kotaku's credibility, which I was not even contesting to begin with. :laugh: I even went on to ask people whether they had any ideas on this supposed "insider" previous leaks being accurate or not.

Hence Sony could not deny it, its their own material.

Yes, but I wasn't really doubting the slide.

I think you are mixing up things a little bit. You were using Inquirer's credibility (after one genuine leak) to smash Kotaku's credibility, which I was not even contesting to begin with.

Umm, no, I was questioning both, as things contradicted each other and there's nothing really solid there to take with more than a grain of salt, both from Inq and Kotaku. Like I said, nothing new there.

Umm, no, I was questioning both, as things contradicted each other and there's nothing really solid there to take with more than a grain of salt, both from Inq and Kotaku. Like I said, nothing new there.

You were questioning both by pitting each against other? Two wrongs dont make a right. :p Anyway this is a rumor, hence I gave you all a helping of salt.

And why is nobody looking into this supposed "insider" history of leaks with Kotaku. :huh:

You were questioning both by pitting each against other? Two wrongs dont make a right. :p Anyway this is a rumor, hence I gave you all a helping of salt.

Umm, I pointed out that at least one was wrong, which in effect, questions both sources. Pretty simple really.

And why is nobody looking into this supposed "insider" history of leaks with Kotaku. :huh:

I did and couldn't find anything else from 'Phantom Insider'. I found this but I don't think it's the same person.

Umm, I pointed out that at least one was wrong, which in effect, questions both sources. Pretty simple really.

If one is wrong the other is correct, pretty simple logic. :laugh:

I did and couldn't find anything else from 'Phantom Insider'. I found this but I don't think it's the same person.

Thanks.

Not if both are wrong, which is always a possibility.

Person A: This is a square.

Person B: No its not.

One of them is correct. :laugh:

Anyway its going too offtopic, Inquirer is back again on this topic:

More problems beset the PS3

Kotaku spills the beans

By Charlie Demerjian in Taipei: Monday 12 June 2006, 09:15

LOOKS LIKE THE PS3 is getting to be a better 'value' every day according to Sony's slightly reality-tangential maths.

Rumours heard by the site Kotaku back up several of the things whispered in our ears over the past month or three and add a few more.

We were told that the PS3 components were way too large to fit into the case, and the fact that there are no betas, and serious talk of an external PSU don't do much to harm the faith I had in my source. As a note to the twits who still insist that they saw a 'working PS3' at E3, you were taken for a ride, get over it. Next time, learn the basics of conning the stupid, and look for them. Either way, I get this sneaking suspicion that we may see a PS3 case 'upgrade' before the ship date.

Then they go on to say the clocks may be reduced to 2.8GHz. Gosh, who would have ever thought that would happen? Yep, 'horrible' yields mean high defectivity or low specs, and it looks like the low specs are rearing their ugly heads. 2.8 with 7 SPEs it is, for now anyway. Ugly part II.

As for the RSX performance, I have already weighed in on that one, so no more beating a dead horse. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just that it is underspecced compared to the ATI chip. It is a G7x with some chipset functionality welded on, and NVidia should have little problem delivering this part on time and on budget. If there is any problem, it is because Sony asked for the wrong set of numbers.

Whatever the case, my sources back up Kotaku almost perfectly. Sony looks to have one heck of an expensive Zepplin launching in the jet age. If they toned down the arrogance a notch or 12, and started engaging the parts of the press that aren't sycophantic suck-ups, they might be able to either get their side out, or blunt the oncoming storm. Sadly, in typical fashion, they go charging ahead while large chunks of the spec sheet peel off and land in the gutter behind their victorious advance. I did so want this console to be good.

Source

Person A: This is a square.

Person B: No its not.

One of them is correct. :laugh:

Kind of a bad analogy there. There is obviously only 2 possible answers in that example. Of course if one is wrong, the other is right. This is not the case with the PS3 rumours, where there are many possible answers. Saying one is wrong there doesn't make the other right.

Anyway its going too offtopic, Inquirer is back again on this topic:

Yeah I saw that yesterday, just relaying the same story with some old rumours that the IM conversation was based on. I like it how they dodged their RSX story there; "We were wrong, so let's not really talk about it and go onto something else". ^_^