time wasted for workflow

so recently i've noticed that i kill a lot of time editing photos, but not actually editing photos! it takes so long for thumbnails to come up (which i consider a must) while browsing through my folders. this is probably compounded by the fact that i have thousands upon thousands of photos in each folder but i was wondering if anyone knew of a way of improving workflow in this regard. its become the bain of my existance and i can do basic edits in photoshop faster than i can view a group of images. that's just sad.

It's most definitely a hardware restriction, so there's not much you can do. If you're viewing images through Explorer, though, you can set it to cache thumbnails (Tools -> Folder Options -> View)

thanks but unfortunately that's already selected. i thought it might be my anti-virus scanning all the files but the folders is in exceptions.

as for hardware descriptions, i do have a bit of an older machine, it's a 1.5ghz athlon with 512 mb of ram and a radeon 9200 vid card. amazingly i can still run most new games on low settings but as i said post processing of photos has be come aggravating. more ram? video card?

I ran into similar issues with similar system specs when I had 50GB+ of videos in one folder (only about 80 files, all in all, but the sizes really clogged up the thumbnailing, even when cached.)

I'd suggest either disabling thumbnails (not an option, you say), or creating a better folder hierarchy. I solved my issue by just sorting my 50GB of movies into more category folders; /Humor, /Action, etc.

Another 512 MB of RAM would definitely help. You could also try using different kinds of browsing software and see if there are any faster alternatives out there for you.

Making a better folder hierarchy is also important, as linked said in the post above, for performance and making it easier to find specific photos.

Using TweakUIXP, you can lower the quality of the thumbs, or reduce the size, this would speed up browsing, also more memory and a faster harddrive will help a little. I used that program to increase the thumbsize to 256, as I the default was too small on the 24' dell.