Hawking says humans must go into space to survive

xvy10406131111.vsmall.jpg

Renowned astrophysicist Stephen Hawking from the University of Cambridge is accompanied by his nurse during a visit at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, June 13.

HONG KONG - The survival of the human race depends on its ability to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an increasing risk that a disaster will destroy the Earth, world-renowned scientist Stephen Hawking said Tuesday.

The British astrophysicist told a news conference in Hong Kong that humans could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and a colony on Mars in the next 40 years.

"We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star system," added Hawking, who arrived to a rock star's welcome Monday. Tickets for his lecture planned for Wednesday were sold out.

He added that if humans can avoid killing themselves in the next 100 years, they should have space settlements that can continue without support from Earth.

"It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the survival of the species," Hawking said. "Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of."

The 64-year-old scientist ? author of the global best seller "A Brief History of Time" ? is wheelchair-bound and communicates with the help of a computer because he suffers from a neurological disorder called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS.

Hawking said he's teaming up with his daughter to write a children's book about the universe, aimed at the same age range as the Harry Potter books.

"It is a story for children, which explains the wonders of the universe," his daughter, Lucy, added.

They didn't provide other details.

I like his dates but its unlikely that will happen, i dn't want to be ignorant but what difference would it make where we live...when us humans just can't stop killing each other and destroying the enviroment we live in "The World", i respect his thoughts but quater of of the World's todays popullation hasn't even got the basic needs for living such as water and food.

"If we stop killing each other" yah right like that would ever happen. we are greedy and greed is what makes us be so alienized. talking about aliens, we are well alienized and ingorant.

I say we live under the sea . . . with the little mermaid (she was hot)

at least we wouldn't have to wait for the new technology to take us through the stars :laugh:

I see what Hawking is saying, but if we can't even get along on Earth then what the hell makes us think we can on another planet? We'll just f** shop up there too and it'll all turn into some politcal crap where there will be one nation that dominates the whole planet. I just don't see this happening.

We WILL live on space one day, he is just stating the obvious

"We", as in the human species, already are. It's just a matter of gathering extreme amounts of resources, which is something we don't have and are in no rush to start doing, and building an actual colony.

:rolleyes: Sounds a bit absurd, given that Humans have survived millions of years on Earth. It might be cool to terraform Venus & Mars eventually -- if the Aliens allow us to. :shifty:

I just went into control panel to see if I could get Microsoft Sam to sound like Steven Hawkings but I was surprised to learn that Microsoft Sam has been replaced by Microsoft Anna in Windows Vista :o

I wonder how far we would've been by now if the space program had continued with the same drive as it did during the space race? Too much attention was put on the shuttle. The biggest obsticle we face now are sleezy ass politicians that only get behind something when there is money to line their pockets or a vote for them to be had. Humans will NEVER evolve until government gets the hell outta the way and the drive for knowledge and technological advancement is given an express lane! Sadly, most of us will never see that day :(

:rolleyes: Sounds a bit absurd, given that Humans have survived millions of years on Earth. It might be cool to terraform Venus & Mars eventually -- if the Aliens allow us to. :shifty:

millions of years!!!!???? humans have been on this earth (home sapien sapien) for only about 200,000 years

and he is correct, the sun will die, or other ELE :laugh: will happen, causing us to move if we want to continue on

:rolleyes: Sounds a bit absurd, given that Humans have survived millions of years on Earth.

Worked out well for the dinosaurs, didn't it? :laugh:

This is one of those "duh" moments, if we don't wipe ourselves out first, nature will, so we have to spread humans out a bit more.

Worked out well for the dinosaurs, didn't it? :laugh:

This is one of those "duh" moments, if we don't wipe ourselves out first, nature will, so we have to spread humans out a bit more.

Firefly series comes to mind.....

That made me chuckle...

Hehehe. Millions of Years.

That made me chuckle...

Hehehe. Millions of Years.

Footprints have been found in coal beds, 3 million years old. There is by no means clear agreement by all scientists on just how long Humans have been on Earth -- it changes often.

A fossilized human skull was found in coal that was sold in Germany (mid-1800s). A jawbone of a child was found in coal in Tuscany (1958). Two giant human molars were found in Montana (1926). A human leg was found by a West Virginia coal miner. It had changed into coal.

In 1812, on the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, a fully human skeleton was found, lacking only the head and feet. It was found inside extremely hard, very old limestone, which was part of a formation over a mile in length. In accordance with their theory, evolutionists date that rock at 25 million years! You will not find the Guadeloupe woman mentioned in the textbooks, since this find would disprove evolutionary strata dating.

The Caveras skull. In 1876, 130 feet below ground, a skull was found in the "2 million-year-old" Pliocene strata. It was certified as completely mineralized, yet totally human. Dozens of stone mortars, bowls, and other man-made artifacts were found near this skull.

The Castinedolo skull. A group of perfectly human ancient skulls were found in Castinedolo, Italy, and, with the Caveras Skull, are considered among the most ancient skulls. Yet they are perfectly human.

Laetoli tracks. At a site in Kenya, called Laetoli, 30 miles south of Olduvai Gorge, Mary Leakey discovered human footprints in 1977. Although some evolutionists reject them as human, other scientists recognize them to be clearly human?and therefore date those who made the tracks to b3.75 million years agou>. But evolutionists teach that no people lived back then. i>

At about the same time, Mary Leakey and Dr. Johanson found human teeth and jawbones from around the sam3.75 million-year periodu>.i

Evolutionists theorize that man did not evolve until the late Tertiary Period, and <cannot be over one to three million years old.b> i>

But human footprints have been found in very old rock strata. These are human footprints, not ape prints. (Apes have very different footprints and styles of walking.)i>

i>

These prints disprove evolutionary theories about rock strata?and reveal it is quite young, and place dinosaurs as living at the same time when people did. The prints also reveal that giants once lived on our planet.

Remember, skeletons and human artifacts don't tend to survive millions of years due to the restless change of Earth, so there isn't going to be much physical evidence. The present Civilization that we all enjoy, will not appear to have existed in just a few hundred-thousand years from now.

The have been several other human civilizations prior to ours; one being more technological than our own.

Dinosaur and humanlike footprints were found together in Turkmenistan and Arizosee Frank Zindler, ?Man?A Contemporary of the Dinosaurs?? Creation/Evolution, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1986, pp. 28?29.])

(Are Human and Mammal Tracks Found Together with the Tracks of Dinosaurs in the Kayenta of Arizona?? Parts I and II, Creation Research Society Quarterly, Vol. 26, September 1989, pp. 41?48 and December 1989, pp. 77?98.) pp. 77?98.)

^ And Humans did indeed co-exist during the so-called dinosaur age -- often humans became a ta;)y snack for them. ;)

And for the truly advanced thinkers in our audience:

"That which disappears reappears in another.ears in another.&q:happy:olor] :happy:

Footprints have been found in coal beds, 3 million years old. There is by no means clear agreement by all scientists on just how long Humans have been on Earth -- it changes often.

A fossilized human skull was found in coal that was sold in Germany (mid-1800s). A jawbone of a child was found in coal in Tuscany (1958). Two giant human molars were found in Montana (1926). A human leg was found by a West Virginia coal miner. It had changed into coal.

In 1812, on the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, a fully human skeleton was found, lacking only the head and feet. It was found inside extremely hard, very old limestone, which was part of a formation over a mile in length. In accordance with their theory, evolutionists date that rock at 25 million years! You will not find the Guadeloupe woman mentioned in the textbooks, since this find would disprove evolutionary strata dating.

The Caveras skull. In 1876, 130 feet below ground, a skull was found in the "2 million-year-old" Pliocene strata. It was certified as completely mineralized, yet totally human. Dozens of stone mortars, bowls, and other man-made artifacts were found near this skull.

The Castinedolo skull. A group of perfectly human ancient skulls were found in Castinedolo, Italy, and, with the Caveras Skull, are considered among the most ancient skulls. Yet they are perfectly human.

Laetoli tracks. At a site in Kenya, called Laetoli, 30 miles south of Olduvai Gorge, Mary Leakey discovered human footprints in 1977. Although some evolutionists reject them as human, other scientists recognize them to be clearly human?and therefore date those who made the tracks to b3.75 million years agou>. But evolutionists teach that no people lived back then. i>

At about the same time, Mary Leakey and Dr. Johanson found human teeth and jawbones from around the sam3.75 million-year periodu>.i

Evolutionists theorize that man did not evolve until the late Tertiary Period, and <cannot be over one to three million years old.b> i>

But human footprints have been found in very old rock strata. These are human footprints, not ape prints. (Apes have very different footprints and styles of walking.)i>

i>

These prints disprove evolutionary theories about rock strata?and reveal it is quite young, and place dinosaurs as living at the same time when people did. The prints also reveal that giants once lived on our planet.

Remember, skeletons and human artifacts don't tend to survive millions of years due to the restless change of Earth, so there isn't going to be much physical evidence. The present Civilization that we all enjoy, will not appear to have existed in just a few hundred-thousand years from now.

The have been several other human civilizations prior to ours; one being more technological than our own.

Dinosaur and humanlike footprints were found together in Turkmenistan and Arizosee Frank Zindler, ?Man?A Contemporary of the Dinosaurs?? Creation/Evolution, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1986, pp. 28?29.])

(Are Human and Mammal Tracks Found Together with the Tracks of Dinosaurs in the Kayenta of Arizona?? Parts I and II, Creation Research Society Quarterly, Vol. 26, September 1989, pp. 41?48 and December 1989, pp. 77?98.) pp. 77?98.)

^ And Humans did indeed co-exist during the so-called dinosaur age -- often humans became a ta;)y snack for them. ;)

"That which disappears reappears in another.ears in another.&q:happy:olor] :happy:

Dinosaurs did not exist with humans, don't buy into the Kent Hovind BS. He's not a real scientist nor a frickin doctor, it ****es me off when people are gullible enough to buy into his crap, funny how his lectures never have any real scientists attending. Just Jeb from the farm up the road.

Ok, that sounded odd, so i looked it up, apparently it has never actually been tested (carbon dating was offered, but refused apparently), the 25 million year age was said by a Creationist, who also claimed it showed signs of the flood (no, not the Halo flood)

And the whole "the evidence was hidden to promote a theory" made it sounds like "junk science" to me, and that's why i looked it up.

A real scientist would love to see evidence that disproved a current theory or hypothesis, yet the argument that it's being suppressed is always brought up by "pesudo-scientists" and liars (e.g. Creationists, Sorry ID'ers, Sorry Critical Thinkers, perpetual motion machine people, over-unity machine people, water powered car people, etc.)

I'd like to get a better look at his nurse :p

i thought i was the only one who noticed that her shirt is really low, lol.

as for moving away, we should at least try and clean up our act on earth first.

i>

Why is it they calculate the age of the ROCKS but not the age of the human skeleton itself? I could be very well be standing on rocks that were 20 millions years old without knowing it... (Exhaggerated, but it gets the point across)