Samsung E900 Review

Noveed

Hello peeps, this is ma first review so i hope yas like it, its mostly pictures im not much of a writer.

Anyways lets get down to it. I dont like buying many phones my first phone was a Motorola C350(still have it) then i ditched that for a Samsung D500 (which was a cool phone when it first came out, it got a bit common though, it seemed like everyone had one at one point). Anyways my D500 became faulty so i had to go back to my C350. Needed a phone so badly my C350 is about 5-6 years old you see it had no bluetooth or camera.

I had my eyes set on the Nokia N91 but when it came out it was 'ginormous' so that put me off that. Then came the chocolate phone, it was quite innovative with its touch screen feature etc however it had more or less the same features as the D500 so i decided to wait untill the Samsung E900 came out and i got that instead.

The Features of the phone are not that bad at all, its like the chocolate phone but evovled slighlty.

Features

Messaging

SMS, EMS, MMS, Email

Browser

WAP 2.0/xHTML

Games

Yes + downloadable

Camera

2 MP, 1600x1200 pixels, video CIF, flash

Other Features

- Java MIDP 2.0

- MP3/AAC/ACC+/WMA player

- T9

- Document viewer (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF) this is quite a nifty feature but since its a small screen it dont think it has much use really

- Organizer

- TV output

- Voice memo

First Impressions

Soon as i took the phone out of the box it felt just right. Has a nice sleek feel to it like the chocolate does. I poped the battery + sim and an turned it on, was greeted with a nice startup screen, The animation was quite crisp and sound quality was great aswell. I quite liked the slide part of it aswell. The slide is really snappy and the phone looks great open or closed.

The touch part of the phone took some time getting used to, since the buttons were touch sensitve kept ringning people accidently. Seems ok now though, got used to the sensitivity.

The MP3 player is quite nice, the phone also has extra music buttons (back, forward and play/pause) they light up when an MP3 is being played.

Overall Was very happy with this phone, excellent purchase, doesnt cost as much as the chocolate so if you cant be bothered to fork out about ?270 on a chocolate get this for about ?190 (on T-Mobile or 02 from Dialaphone.co.uk or from Thelink)Prosb>

- Sleek black look

- Very good camera quality (2MP)

- Comes with generous amount of games including lemming:):) and fifa06

- Has expandable memory slot (i will be purchasing a 1GB stick for this baby soon)

- Touch Sensitive buttons

- 'Lush' screen - gotta give it to samsung they have very nice screens, the D600 even has a nice screen, very bright colors etc and crisp animation

- Snappy slide (i dno if ppl will like this, i certainly did)

- Comes with installation software, headphones, PC-Phone datacable and a manual...Consb>

- The design of the charging slot has changed again (not the same as the D500 or D600)

- Did not come with a speaker (like the D500 but its loud enough anyway)

- Touch sensitive buttons take some getting used to, sometimes you can call people accidently or exit to menus in the middle of texting people.

- Didnt come with a cleaning cloth or handstrap

Sorry for the bad quality of the pics, they were taken with a D600.

As usual heres is a pic of the box, not too bad typical samsung box.

spa00198rv.th.jpg

Pics of Phone

photo00030ke.th.jpg photo00040fk.th.jpg photo00155ji.th.jpg photo00177cw.th.jpg photo00163mg.th.jpg

E900 vs D500

photo00058nl.th.jpg photo00060mh.th.jpg photo00072zd.th.jpg

E900 vs Ipod Nano

photo00089nc.th.jpg photo00094ri.th.jpg photo00108av.th.jpg photo00118to.th.jpg photo00125bq.th.jpg

E900 vs PSP

photo00131di.th.jpg photo00140sb.th.jpg

E900 vs Others

photo00014dg.th.jpg photo00028mo.th.jpg

E900 In Hands

photo00187ik.th.jpg photo00195yv.th.jpg photo00202jj.th.jpg photo00216dv.th.jpg

E900 Picture Quality

spa00173en.th.jpg spa00182yr.th.jpg

E900 vs Chocolate (not my pics)

foto000lg.th.jpg

pics continued

E900 vs Chocolate

foto2467vp.th.jpg foto2476mw.th.jpg foto2487uz.th.jpg foto2492uo.th.jpg foto2507fz.th.jpg

Amnesia

ah, beat me to my review :p. NIcely done though! May I add it to Fluid Mobile?

edit: please let me know if you can take higher res pics.

Noveed

ah, beat me to my review :p. NIcely done though! May I add it to Fluid Mobile?

edit: please let me know if you can take higher res pics.

yeah sure feel free to add it, ill take some better pictures at the weekend, ill be able to get ma hands on a 6MP camera by then, at the moment i can only take pics with ma sis' D600.

Quillz

Nice review. Is the D900 the best Samsung phone at the moment? Also, any chance of it coming to the USA, maybe through Cingular?

Noveed

the specs are more or less the same as the D600 but in my opinion, it looks that bit more sexier as it has the touch buttons. The D900 is set to be a slick phone though, has a 3.2mp camera looks swishy... personally i would love it if they bought this phone out in white... it would finish it off nicely and id definitly buy it.

im sure this phone will be released in america, if the D600 was then this will be

Edited by Noveed
Sn00pY

It's a cheap plastic Nokia 8800...

Quillz

Whoops... my error. I actually meant the phone you were reviewing, the E900. Is there any chance of it making it to North America, or is it tri-band (900/1800/1900).

Noveed

yeah has the following bands

Network: GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900

its got "Edge" aswell, i dont know what that is, going to have to test it out later on i guess.

DomZ

I think I still prefer my chocolate. Although the features on this are much better.

Quillz
yeah has the following bands

Network: GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900

its got "Edge" aswell, i dont know what that is, going to have to test it out later on i guess.

EDGE is a 2G service that allows for fast data transfer (Internet browsing.) It doesn't really have any use in Europe, since 3G is featured there. Since it does have EDGE, though, it's possible that this phone could be carried by Cingular, and would likely replace the 900 for 850.
#Michael

Love the review and the phone.

I am so don't get why these phones don't make it to the states. With the major carriers rolling out the high speed networks (cingulars 3g) you'd think the sleek phones would come out. The only one that is worth mentioning is the lg cu320 and that doesn't even come close to this one.

Quillz
Love the review and the phone.

I am so don't get why these phones don't make it to the states. With the major carriers rolling out the high speed networks (cingulars 3g) you'd think the sleek phones would come out. The only one that is worth mentioning is the lg cu320 and that doesn't even come close to this one.

Because most of these phones don't feature the 850 MHz band and have EDGE. And since only a few million people require both of those, it's not worth the time or money for the manufacturer to re-do some of their phones to meet those requirements, when the vast majority of the world uses superior 3G technology and the 900 MHz band.
Echilon

Nice that they added a QVGA screen. They're miles above QCIF for film clips. Does it use a 3.5mm audio jack or is it a 2.5mm one?

Noveed

The audio jack is wierd, it goes into the same slot as the charger and PC-Phone cable.

heres the pics

photo00013rv.th.jpg photo00020bi.th.jpg spa00506jw.th.jpg spa00516fv.th.jpg

Echilon

The audio jack is wierd, it goes into the same slot as the charger and PC-Phone cable.

heres the pics

photo00013rv.th.jpg photo00020bi.th.jpg spa00506jw.th.jpg spa00516fv.th.jpg

I used to have a phone like that and I hated it. Whenever you want to listen to music on your phone you never have the adaptor with you.

Amnesia

using the charger area as a charger and audio jack is common in many phones. LG's, NEC's, Hitachis, Sharps, Samsungs, SonyEricssons etc..

• 2 weeks later...
blik

Very tempted to get this phone. Looks slick, and beats the LG hands down.

My only concerns are, you cannot transfer files directly to the memory card from PC, I read that on another forum so someone please confirm if it's true or not. If it is, it's a gross oversight by Samsung.

No vibrate + ring, all samsungs have had this annoyance.

7 clicks to send an SMS, should be 3 to be honest.

No address's for contacts.

Cant customise SMS tone, or have SMS Photo ID.

Off to the Orange shop tomorrow to see what contracts they have and how badly they've ruined the UI.

Noveed

I think the UI has been improved drumatically on the E900, you can choose between a black menu or a white one. When you ring or text someone there is a nice "Haloish" animation which looks cool aswell.

As for the SMS tones well yeah that really sucks, the D500 and my sis' D600 and now My E900 have all the same downside, you cannot set custom tones for alarms(havent tried but im sure) or SMS. Also i havent tried the photo ID thing just yet, had exams so sorry bout that they dont finish till this thursday.

Just had a look now and it seems that it does not vibrate and ring at the same time, however it can vibrate first then ring though. I dont think samsung support this yet, i hope they do in future though.

As for the transferring of files, im not 100% sure im still yet to buy a memory card for this baby. Will most likely add to the review and take better quality photos when i have some free time.

blik

Well I went and got it with Orange, they gave me a pretty sweet contract... And NO BRANDING, I was very surprised!

So far I'm impressed, the annoyances I listed in my previous post are minor (dont have a SD card yet though)... The slickness and other features makes up for it hands down.

Noveed

yeah no branding, thats the best thing about mine aswell, it should be sim locked to T-Mobile but its sim free. Dial a Phone screwed up there i think coz i only got the phone for ?190, the sim free price is ?260 ish i think

• 2 weeks later...
Echilon

Nice review, my sister's thinking of getting one of these.

• 2 weeks later...
shanghaikid

hey, i'm thinking of buying an E900 for myself, but it seems like most people reviewing this here are from the UK. i just had a couple of questions.

How easy is it for this phone to be scratched? I feel that if it were scratched it would not only detract form the the appearance, but also maybe the usage witht he touch sensitivity.

Is there any news with the transfering from the memory card to the computer?

How is the battery life while playing mp3's?

Is it easy to customize the shortcut buttons?

I'm extremely interested in the FIFA '06 that was said to be a game for this phone. Does it come with it? Do you have to download it? And if it came with the UK version, would it come with versions sold in other countries?

Thanks a lot

Noveed

Every phone is prone to scratches, i tend to go out quite a bit and i must say it has got a few minor harline scratches, nothing major, but then again i dont take much care with mine.

I have not recieved my 1GB memory card for it yet, but as soon as i do ill let you know. been waiting nearly 15 days for delivery off ebay and it still has not arrived :(

Battery life is not too bad when playing MP3s, you can out it into flight mode aswell, i found that, that saves the batter aswell.

I have not really created any personal shortcuts but if you press up then u can pull up something called a "my menu" that has shortcuts to all the main facilities and u can change them around or take em out and add different ones.

Fifa 06 is a trial version, i got a bit happy when i saw it on the phone but after playing it, it asked me to buy it after 2mins of play so it is a time limited trial.

As for the other countries im not to sure, best bet is to walk into a phone shop and ask them where they sell the phone, they can actually take it out and show you the phone etc.

Technique

my girlfriend had a mobile review site up earlier. Was tempted by the phone until i saw the reviews.

It's hard, because you have to try find out who the 15yr olds writing reviews are, and those who want something other than the "best looking" phone at the moment.

The touch sensitive buttons appear to be a massive problem. Very offputting. So i think i will give this mobile a miss.

Nashy

No vibrate + ring, all samsungs have had this annoyance.

What do you mean all Samsungs. My Z500 has Vibrate + Ring....