Want Digi SLR

Im 16, but i rescently found out that I like taking some artistic pictures....aswell as photograph the local bands. I have a budget of about $800 canadian, could you recomend me some Digi SLR's in and around that range?

Thanks!

I have a Canon Rebel XT, I love it. It was 900 with a 100 dollar rebate i think. Not sure how long the rebate was going on but if you hurry you still might be able to get it. Well now that i think about it you said canadian dollar so it might be above your range but it really is a great camera if you decide to spend the extra money.

I have a Canon Rebel XT and love it - I was able to get it for $650 after the above-mentioned $100 rebate (which goes through the first few weeks of next month).

my dad has the D70 its an awesome camera. So i already know how to use it....ill look into the D50...thanks :)

Get the Nikon D100 or even better D200 if you can afford it. They are great professional level DSLRs.

umm...quite a bit out of his price range there...the D100 bdy alone is still 1350 canadian most places (very hard to find it cheaper actually)

hmmm no, D200 is the replacement of D100 :p

D70s will soon be replaced by something like D80

and D50 by something like D60

and D2X by D3X yummy

D70s has similar specs and improves on the D100.

The D200 is a step beyond. Sure, it's the next in line for Nikon's semi-pro series, but it was introduced to compete with the 30D and not to fill D100's shoes (D70s does that).

well I agree with you in some point but many pro photographers actually compare D200 with 5D! Which I do also. I've seen some review with a better score for D200 compared to 5D. In my book, if you pay twice the price, you can ask for more.

Anyway I'd compared D70s with 20D and 30D.

my 2 cents

Really? I'd take FF over 1.5crop any day :D. A lot of stellar zooms start at 24mm or 28mm :(. The price difference does not justify whatever the 5D has over the D200 though, I agree with that.

I use a D70, and I think it's somewhere between the 350D and 20D (closer to 20D). If I could get the 20D for the same price as the D70, I'd choose the 20D.

My guess is: 350D < D70 < 20D < 30D <or= D80? :s

the D70 lacks a few features that the D100 has that professionals want.

Anyways, call me biased, but I would still pick the D70 or D70s over the 20D and arguably over the 30D (would be much closer choice in my opinion though). Of course I love Nikons though.

Hi,

A lot of you guys compare the 350D to the D50. Any particular reason for this when the 350D is 8MP and the D50 is 6MP. Is MP's just a myth nowadays and mostly depends on the quality of the optics and image processor.

I want to upgrade to a DSLR from a Canon PowerShot G5 which is 5MP and a cracking camera for a PnS. I originally thought I would want at least a jump to 8MP too be worthwhile upgrading. However, reading all the reviews and opinions online I'm grearing towards a D50, not sure why, I just am. :whistle:

I would like to print images A3 size sometimes. Would a 6 MP suffice?

Nick.

I would like to print images A3 size sometimes. Would a 6 MP suffice?

If you want to print images taken with a D50, then yes, 6MP is plenty. DSLRs have much larger sensors (hence higher quality) than ordinary point and shoots, so images can be printed at much larger sizes. As Ken Rockwell puts it:

I've seen 4 x 5 foot enlargements from the D50 that look superb.

because as said many many times by a lot of pro, megapixel doesn't matter!

some pros even love to use D50 because it handles high iso digital noise better than D200 and 5D!