Yellowstone tourist dies in 500-foot fall

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyoming (AP) -- A woman lost her footing after stepping over a retaining wall to take a photograph and went over a cliff, falling 500 feet to her death in a canyon, Yellowstone National Park officials said.

The 52-year-old woman was visiting the park with her husband and two children.

Her husband flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911 after the Saturday morning accident at an overlook along the Yellowstone River, park officials said.

A ranger rappelled down the canyon wall to reach the woman, but she was dead at the scene.

In Michigan, The Grand Rapids Press on Sunday identified the woman as Deb Chamberlin, 52, of Rockford, vice president of the school board in the west Michigan community.

"It's hard for me to articulate right now because I'm still in shock," said Rockford Superintendent Mike Shibler, who said he spoke to Chamberlin's husband, Gary.

source

Tragic death. She shouldn't have walked over the retaining wall. :(

Darwin was a little late on this one, she already had kids.

I wouldn't be surprised if her family sued. Probably would claim the wall wasn't high enough, or that there wasn't a ranger there to tell not to get close to the edge. :no:

People die when they are ready. This woman 'knew' ahead of time and went for her own reasons.

No need to be sad. :happy:

I have a bad feeling Americanisim is going to come about and the family will sue for somthing stupid

Crying Husband: "Oh, Judge, we lost a mother, wife and educator because the wall wasn't big enough, the signs were not well placed, and there was no ranger to tell her not too."

Bored Judge: "What about common sense? Using her brain? She was vice president of the school board, so I have to assume she had a few brain cells! Case dismissed."

Darwin was a little late on this one, she already had kids.

I was thinking much the same thing.