Wiimote Not Finalized?

Wiimote Not Finalized?

Shigeru Miyamoto suggests that changes are on the way.

by Anoop Gantayat June 15, 2006 - The Wii and its controller may have been the big talk of E3, but recent comments by Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto suggest that what we saw at the show was not the final thing. Speaking with Japan's Famitsu, the Nintendo spokesperson and father of Mario and Zelda said, "We're still debating on the area of how many buttons to use."

Miyamoto was responding to a question about difficulties Nintendo had in designing the controller. He attested to having many stories of such difficulties to share, before letting slip the above comment. It's possible that Miyamoto was merely stating that Nintendo's designers still argue about their decision regarding the button count, though the E3 design is final. Alternatively, it's possible that Nintendo is actually considering making some changes to the design before release. We'll have to wait for further clarification (or for the Wii's next showing). Elsewhere in the interview, Miyamoto had plenty to say about E3 and the Wii in general. Regarding the show, Miyamoto admitted relief that the Wii was received so well. "We started making this hardware from three years back, and while working, the staff worried whether this was the correct direction to take," he said.

One particular reaction from the show pleased Miyamoto. Responding to a question of how third parties reacted to the hardware, he noted that while many developers sampled the system, he found it interesting to see many cases where the management side of companies, people he doesn't expect play games too much, took the time to try out Wii.

Moving on to Wii development in general, Miyamoto revealed that the development theme for the system was "Hardware that you'll want to turn on every day." "This isn't a simple thing," he said. "The DS is a portable machine, so it ends up being turned on casually while walking around. In the case of a console, this can't be done. We wanted to make something that could be used every day like a television."

Miyamoto brought up Wii Sports as the basic, fundamental Wii game. "I'm sure people wonder 'Why not Zelda?', but titles like Zelda are completely different from the Wii concept." Noting that Nintendo will continue to make Zelda-type games in addition to games like Wii Sports, he added that the most important thing for Nintendo's software planning is to make games that fulfill the concept of making the Wii into a machine that people use daily.

Just as the DS comes with PictoChat, Wii will come with some functionality built in right out of the box. Noting that the system's flash memory can be used for future upgrades, Miyamoto added, "However, we'd like to avoid relying on this and have everything included from the start." Miyamoto would not provide specifics on what type of things players will be able to do when first turning on their Wii without a game loaded in.

Readers of Famitsu.com, responding to a post-E3 survey, made Wii the next generation platform of choice by a large margin. Wii got 70% of the vote, with Xbox 360 and PS3 splitting the remainder (heavily in the PS3's favor, admittedly -- this is Japan, after all). Upon hearing this from the Famitsu interviewer, Miyamoto asked, "Was there a selection for 'I don't want any of them'? I'd like to know this, because we're fighting this 'I don't want any of them' selection."

Source

I wouldn't be surprised. E3 for them was like a huge open beta. They're probably taking the feedback they recieved, and trying to fix the controller to satisfy everyone. The sensor bar isnt finalized either it seems.

why would they change it. Its good already. But as u said the sensor isnt all the way finished. I as there at E3 and the controller was perfect for me. But i guess most of the ppl there said it needed a little change.

why would they change it. Its good already. But as u said the sensor isnt all the way finished. I as there at E3 and the controller was perfect for me. But i guess most of the ppl there said it needed a little change.

I'm guessing they just have to optimize it to be flexible accross the widest gamut of games possible. The games that were played at E3 were probably purposebuilt for the Wiimote and vice-versa.

I'm so excited about the Wii... :drool: