Lan Messenger

So did you try out jabber or not?? I would still suggest that as the way to go with putting IM on your network..

Multiple clients support it, there are multiple servers available.. quite a few free, some not - provide with FULL support, etc.. Runs on most anything, etc.. Grab the windows wildfire server and say the exodus client and within a few minutes you would have an IM system up and running.

I don't want to set up a server. Like the Achat, and the one from Softros; install on the PC and it detects the other PCs.

Besides my network is small only 5 PCs

Edited by coolkyatt

Yes that's what I'm looking for. I'm trying out the one from Softros, it's simple, easy to set up and use.

Thanks DeadShadow!

You welcome

Bye.

I don't want to set up a server. Like the Achat, and the one from Softros; install on the PC and it detects the other PCs.

Besides my network is small only 5 PCs

Its not like you need a new machine or anything? You don't have a server already? The IM server software would just run on there.. shoot it could run on your machine, etc..

In an office setup it might be useful to have all chats logged, etc..

Hope the achat works out for you atleast -- let us know how it works out.

I use Miranda IM with EmLAN protocol for my network. It's lite, quite easy to setup, and isn't dependent on windows messenger service. On top of that, the GUI is pretty much customizable to your liking.

UPDATE:

I've downloaded and install Achat on all of the PCs in the office. Set up was easy. Everyone likes it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

what you need is a bonjour enabled chat client, either you can use Gaim, miranda with bonjour plugin or a standalone bonjour im client which you can download it from http://xurble.org/projects/ , see Windows iChat stand alone click on it to download standalone bonjour client, you need to have this on all computers on network to chat

I've been trying to figure out of Gaim supported Bonjour for a while and from what I could tell it looked like only the *nix client supported Bonjour. Can you tell me what I have to do to enable Bonjour in Gaim? I've tried both 1.5 and 2.0beta2 and can't figure it out...

Thanks a lot!