NHL Off-season Moves

The New York Islanders have hired former New York Rangers GM Neil Smith and former Buffalo Sabres Head Coach Ted Nolan. Nolan has been out of the NHL since 1997. Smith replaces former ESPN hockey analyst Mike Milbury, who stepped down after this past season. Nolan replaces interm coach Brad Shaw, who replaced Steve Stirling, who was fired in January.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2475855

This is a good move for the Islanders. Hopefully Smith and Nolan can turn around the team. It would be nice for New York to have something to look forward to other than baseball.

• 2 weeks later...
The NHL honored a season of excellence Thursday night in Vancouver, handing out a galaxy of trophies to the League's elite players.

Leading the winners was San Jose's Joe Thornton, the winner of the Hart Trophy as the League's Most Valuable Player, Miikka Kiprusoff, of the Flames took the Vezina Trophy as the top goalie and Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom won his fourth Norris Trophy as the top defenseman.

The black-tie event was held at The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts and boasted an audience that represented a who's who of the hockey world. Among the presenters were Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier.

Who won what:NHL awards

Im glad that Joe Thornton won the Hart trophy, although is was close between him and Jagr.

Luongo going to Canucks for Bertuzzi

The Vancouver Canucks and Florida Panthers have completed a multi-player trade involving some big names on the eve of the NHL Draft.

The Panthers have confirmed that they acquired Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alexander Auld from the Canucks in exchange for Roberto Luongo and Lukas Krajicek and a 2006 sixth round pick.

Luongo is a restricted free agent, and the Panthers had been unable to work out a long-term deal with the star netminder. The Miami Herald reported on Tuesday that Panthers general manager Mike Keenan said that the team would explore all options when it came to Luongo.

On Friday night, Keenan pulled the trigger on a mega-deal with the Canucks.

"This is a trade that addresses a number of needs for our hockey club," Keenan said. "We?ve added an experienced and talented forward, a skilled goaltender and a strong defenceman that we expect to help our team immediately."

Following his suspension for attacking Colorado's Steve Moore near the end of the 2004 regular season, Bertuzzi had 25 goals and 71 points last season. That was a significant drop from his best season in 2002-2003, when he scored 46 goals and 51 assists.

With the Moore incident still resonating, Bertuzzi took a lot of heat in Vancouver last season as the team failed to make the playoffs.

Before news of the deal broke, Canucks GM Dave Nonis made no bones about the fact that he was shopping his assests, including the 31-year-old Bertuzzi.

"He's in the same spot as everyone else, but the media loves to focus on one player," said Nonis of Bertuzzi. "We have a group of players that as a group underachieved which means the majority of those players are available."

The Canucks are hoping that Luongo, 27, is the answer to their goaltending concerns. He had a 2.97 goals-against average and .914 save percentage last season and has emerged as one of Canada's future stars in international play.

Still, the Panthers finished 11th in the Eastern Conference last season and never made the playoffs during Luongo's five seasons with the team.

The problem of signing him to a long-term deal now rests with Nonis.

Krajicek, 23, has star potential, too. The former first rounder had 2 goals and 16 points in 67 games last season, but his smooth skating and play-making ability suggest bigger numbers could be on the way.

"We believe that in Roberto we are getting a player who has represented his country at the highest level, has been nominated for the Vezina Trophy and has proven that he is among the elite goaltenders in the world," said Nonis. "Lukas is a young, skilled, puck-moving defenceman who has a very bright future in this League."

Auld, 25, played well in place of injured starter Dan Cloutier last season, but the Canucks obviously felt he was not the answer. As of now, he will be battling Jamie McLennan for the number one job in Florida.

That represents a big drop-off for the Panthers, unless they find another goaltender in free agency starting July 1.

Allen, 25, is another former first rounder, though he has not quite lived up to the potential that made him the fourth overall pick in 1998. At 6-4 and 220 pounds, he has size and strength, but does not have the offensive upside of a potential powerplay quarterback like Krajicek.

Still, Allen contributed 7 goals and 17 points in 77 games last season and was also a +4.

--------------------------------------------------------

I have to say this is the greatest day of my life. Finally, he is out of here.

In other news, Chris Pronger is rumoured to be wanting a trade out of Edmonton.

The television timing really sucked. Here, in Vancouver, where it was taking place, we didn't get to view it until 8, hours after the East could.

Draft Day Update:

Atlanta Thrashers trades Patrik Stefan, former first overall pick, and Jaroslav Modry to the Dallas Stars for Niko Kapanen and a 7th round draft pick.

Draft Day Update:

Colorado Avalanche trade Alex Tanguay to the Calgary Flames for Jordan Leopold, a second-round draft pick, and a conditional second-round draft pick.

Some offence for Calgary, finally!

Maple Leafs gets 2004 Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft from the Bruins for Finnish goalie prospect Tuukka Rask. Also, the Wild gets Pavol Demitra from the Kings for a 1st round pick and prospect Patrick O'Sullivan.

I think more big names are going to be traded before the night is over with.

Maple Leafs gets 2004 Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft from the Bruins for Finnish goalie prospect Tuukka Rask.

they traded rask? wow... he would be an excellent player to have in the future. at least they still have that canadian goalie (dam forgot his name lol). I'm happy that toronto is finding a decent solution to their goaltending situation

I can't believe no one picked Phil Kessel until fifth. And Erik Johnson for first overall? I understand that he is a great player, but did anyone watch the final of the under-18 championships? Not only did he incur a five minute major in the last half of the third period, leaving his team in a dangerous situation, but he was kicked out as well, worsening the situation, and as left, he was smashing his stick in anger. He needs to mature.

I don't think any more significant trades will be made tonight.

Draft Day Update:

Atlanta Thrashers trades Patrik Stefan, former first overall pick, and Jaroslav Modry to the Dallas Stars for Niko Kapanen and a 7th round draft pick.

Bad move for the Stars. Kapanen has far more potential.

I can't believe no one picked Phil Kessel until fifth. And Erik Johnson for first overall? I understand that he is a great player, but did anyone watch the final of the under-18 championships? Not only did he incur a five minute major in the last half of the third period, leaving his team in a dangerous situation, but he was kicked out as well, worsening the situation, and as left, he was smashing his stick in anger. He needs to mature.

I don't think any more significant trades will be made tonight.

Everyone said Ovechkin would never be as good as Crosby because he was too big of a showboat. I think people here even told me that. Point is: things change.

Everyone said Ovechkin would never be as good as Crosby because he was too big of a showboat. I think people here even told me that. Point is: things change.

Well, I disagree in that Ovechkin is as good as Crosby. Crosby will be the premier player of the league for years to come, while Ovechkin will be a great player. However, I do agree in terms of Erik Johnson. Things change, and I can't deny that Johnson is a great player. Don't get me wrong. I simply just don't like his attitude, and I wonder where the good sportsman have gone. He will play like Pronger, both in talent and a poor attitude.

Dear goodness, I have to wonder just what Ovechkin has to do to impress some of you die-hard Canadian hockey fans. I don't mean to sterotype, but almost everytime I've ever mentioned Ovechkin to a Canadian hockey fan the only response I seem to get is "he won't be as good as Crosby." I'm sorry, but Ovechkin proved long ago he'll be a better goal scorer in this league than Crosby. Will he be better all around? I don't know, but he certainly isn't a slouch when it comes to playmaking and setting up teammates for assists. He's not a great two-way player either, but Crosby also has some work to do in that area.

Neither Crosby or Ovechkin is going to be the next Gretzky... their styles of play aren't that similar. But I have a hard time agreeing with anyone who says Crosby will be the premier player in the league now that the league seems to be moving more towards goal scoring.

I had the same stance before the lockout and my opinion hasn't changed at all. Even after Ovechkin proved a lot of the doubters wrong he still gets no respect in the eyes of many Canadian hockey fans.

As for Erik Johnson, I honestly haven't seen him play all that much. Before Ovechkin was drafted I'd seen him play quite a bit -- not in person mind you, but I'd seen games on the internet. Crosby was the same way. I've seen some highlights on Johnson, but it's hard to tell how he'll do in the NHL. I'm sure he'll develop into a good player, but I don't know if he'll be in the upper echelon of players, especially after his last performance.

Dear goodness, I have to wonder just what Ovechkin has to do to impress some of you die-hard Canadian hockey fans. I don't mean to sterotype, but almost everytime I've ever mentioned Ovechkin to a Canadian hockey fan the only response I seem to get is "he won't be as good as Crosby." I'm sorry, but Ovechkin proved long ago he'll be a better goal scorer in this league than Crosby. Will he be better all around? I don't know, but he certainly isn't a slouch when it comes to playmaking and setting up teammates for assists. He's not a great two-way player either, but Crosby also has some work to do in that area.

Neither Crosby or Ovechkin is going to be the next Gretzky... their styles of play aren't that similar. But I have a hard time agreeing with anyone who says Crosby will be the premier player in the league now that the league seems to be moving more towards goal scoring.

I had the same stance before the lockout and my opinion hasn't changed at all. Even after Ovechkin proved a lot of the doubters wrong he still gets no respect in the eyes of many Canadian hockey fans.

Well said. I love Crosby (mainly because he loves my Habs) but Ovechkin is the more dominant player of the two.

I see people saying Ovechkin is a one year wonder, he's better because he's 1.5yrs older blah blah and Crosby will be the next Gretzky in a couple of years.

The truth is that they're different players. Ovechkin is a pure goal scorer with speed and good stick handling skills. Crosby also has offensive flare but he's a center, and most importantly a PLAYMAKER. Ovechkin is a winger and his job is to put the puck in the net.

Crosby is the leader (future captain), Ovechkin is like Jagr, relied upon to put the puck in the net. Thats why there is a big gap between goals and assists between the 2. Just imagine Crosby and AO on the same line? LETHAL!!!

I think they're both great players, and on a scale of 1-10, I'd give Crosby a 9.6, and AO a 9.8.

As for Luongo to the Canucks; I think it is a good trade to unload Bertuzzi's salary but thast about it. Luongo wont re-sign in Vancouver next year. He wants a long term commitment for $6m + and thats absurd for a goalie who IMO is good but extremely overrated. Heck, he hasn't even played or won a single playoff game.

*edit* with the Draft, qualifying offers, Free agency and off season trades; do you think we should have a single thread devoted to the NHL offseason moves? It would be good for discussion instead of having 1 post for each trade.

Well, I disagree in that Ovechkin is as good as Crosby. Crosby will be the premier player of the league for years to come, while Ovechkin will be a great player.

Ovechkin is a more physical player than Crosby. Crosby has been accused of being a bit of a whiner.

*edit* with the Draft, qualifying offers, Free agency and off season trades; do you think we should have a single thread devoted to the NHL offseason moves? It would be good for discussion instead of having 1 post for each trade.

[Threads Merged]

Crosby was quite a whiner this year, I still think he's overrated just because he's a Canadian player, Ovechkin is 400x better but doesn't recieve the recognition he deserves because he's Russian (or a world player). :/

BTW: I'm Canadian, so don't call me a racist, just stating what I think is the truth. :D

+ About the Bertuzzi for Luongo trade, I think the Canucks will fix the goaltender situation now, but they need a power forward. :(

The Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi line has been broken up, meaning the Sedins/Carter will be the top line?

Here are the major transactions and first round pics of the draft to sum this weeks transactions.

Vancouver Canucks trade Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld to the Florida Panthers for Luongo, Kracijek and a 2006 6th round pick

Carolina Hurricanes re-sign Rod Brind'Amour to a 5 year deal worth $18m

Minnesota Wild re-sign Pierre Marc-Bouchard to a 1 year deal worth $1.85m

Atlanta Thrashers trade Patrik Steffan, and Jaroslav Modry to Dallas for Niko Kapanen and a 7th round pick

Los Angeles Kings trade Pavol Demitra to Minnesota Wild in exchange for Patrick O'Sullivan and their 1st round pick of this years draft (Trevor Lewis)

Colorado Avalanche trade Alex Tanguay to Calgary in exchange for Jordan Leopold, 2006 2nd round pick and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2007 or 2008

Boston Bruinds trade Andrew Raycroft to Toronto for goaltending prospect Tuukka Rask

Montreal Canadiens and Cristobal Huet agree to a 2 year deal worth $5.7m ($3m for the 1st year and $2.7m the 2nd)

Martin Biron accepts qualifying offer from Buffalo and requests trade

Chicago Blackhawks buy out the contracts of Matthew Barnaby and Curtis Brown

Boston Bruins trade Boynton a 2007 4th rounder to Pheonix in return for Mara and a 3rd rounder in '07 or '08

Carolina Hurricans re-sign Frantisek Kaberle to a 4yr deal worth $8.8m

Colorado Avalanche re-sign Vaananen and Laaksonen

Here are the top 30 pics of this years draft:

1. St. Louis Blues - Erik Johnson

2. Pittsburgh Penguins - Jordan Staal

3. Chicago Blackhawks - Jonathan Toews

4. Washington Capitals - Nicklas Backstrom

5. Boston Bruins - Phil Kessel

6. Columbus Blue Jackets - Derick Brassard

7. New York Islanders - Kyle Okposo

8. Phoenix Coyotes - Peter Mueller

9. Minnesota Wild - James Sheppard

10. Florida Panthers - Michael Frolik

11. Los Angeles Kings - Jonathan Bernier

12. Atlanta Thrashers - Bryan Little

13. Toronto Maple Leafs - Jiri Tlusty

14. Vancouver Canucks - Michael Grabner

15. Tampa Bay Lightning - Riku Helenius

16. San Jose Sharks (from Montreal) - Ty Wishart

17. Los Angeles Kings (from Minnesota-Edmonton) - Trevor Lewis

18. Colorado Avalanche - Colorado, Chris Stewart

19. Anaheim Ducks - Mark Mitera

20. Montreal Canadiens (from San Jose) - David Fischer

21. New York Rangers - Bobby Sanguinetti

22. Philadelphia Flyers - Claude Giroux

23. Washington Capitals (from Nashville) - Semen Varlamov

24. Buffalo Sabres - Dennis Persson

25. St. Louis Blues (from New Jersey) - Patrik Berglund

26. Calgary Flames - Leland Irving

27. Dallas Stars - Ivan Vishnevski

28. Ottawa Senators - Nick Foligno

29. Phoenix Coyotes (from Detroit) - Chris Summers

30. New Jersey Devils (from St. Louis-Carolina) - Matthew Corrente

Edited by bayrider

NHL cap rises to $44 million

Jun. 27, 2006. 01:37 PM

CANADIAN PRESS

NEW YORK ? The team-by-team salary cap, as expected, will be $44 million (all figures U.S.) next season, the NHL and NHL Players' Association announced Tuesday, up from $39 million this past season.

The cap is up because league-wide revenues exceeded pre-season projections of $1.8 billion and totalled more than $2.1 billion this season.

Teams will also have to spend a mininum of $28 million next season, up from $21.5 million last season. The new midpoint will be $36 million.

The league and union signed off the new payroll range last Friday but waited until Tuesday to officially announce it.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...th=Sports/Index

As for Erik Johnson, I honestly haven't seen him play all that much. Before Ovechkin was drafted I'd seen him play quite a bit -- not in person mind you, but I'd seen games on the internet. Crosby was the same way. I've seen some highlights on Johnson, but it's hard to tell how he'll do in the NHL. I'm sure he'll develop into a good player, but I don't know if he'll be in the upper echelon of players, especially after his last performance.

Ovechkin is 20 and Crosby is 18, Ovechkin scored 4 more points last year. The development years from 18-20 are absoultely huge. I believe crosby will be an all around better player than Ovechkin one day because he still has some growing and maturing to do, plus he is a player that can make people around him better, he has leadership qualities that Alex lacks.

well I like both Ovechkin and Crosby. We'll just have to see next season on how they do.