Dell 2407WFP Review

I just want to add that if you bought a display for the purpose of playing HD content, ensure it is HDCP compliant, or it's just a waste of money. Trust me, my $6000 NEC plasma is an expensive hunk of SD junk since it's not HDCP Compliant. Don't get me wrong, it's got a beautiful image, but it is not HDCP Compliant which all HD Devices must be thanks to the MPAA.

If you have bought a display that you want to use for HD, you have to look at resolution AND HDCP compliance, or it'll only ever be compatible with SD. I learned that lesson the expensive way. Just wanted to share.

If I were in your shoes I would call the MPAA and demand they replace it. It is the fault of their greed for incorporating such an idiotic and pointless "feature" afterall. I would bitch them out until the person would hang up on me, at least then I would vent some of my anger to those who deserve it. :laugh:

My 2407WFP came in friday(yesterday). I ordered it late wednesday night, not expecting to get it till the next week so i was really happy when it came in early. Mine only came in one box so im guessing the stuff that was in the other two boxes where in the one box.

I didnt realize how big 24" was but i think it was a good buy.

RRP ?824.

However I found a Dell business partner on eBay who supplied it to me for ?588.

It came direct from Dell, and has the standard 3 year warranty.

:o:o Waaaaay more than I could afford. Nice review though.

is this moniter any good for playing Xbox 360 on?

i'm looking for a moniter that does that well, aswell as games pretty well, but i'm not a hardcore FPS so it doesn't have to be too fast, plus i wanna know if it worth my hard earned cash

^ from the reviews and posts from several users on hardocp- it is absolutely bliss on 360. since its hd- majority use component connectivity :)

I'm a bit foggy here but I heard the component on the Dell wasnt that great at all and that many owners recomended using the VGA as a result. Think I read that by several ppl on Hardforums ect.

Some of the reviews are a bit hard to trust but, I've read some that reviewed the A0 revision and didnt make mention of the colour banding at the time or said that you couldnt notice it unless looking for it despite the fact that from the screen caps I've seen it was extremly noticable and if your getting a monitor this large (and expensive) you shouldnt have to deal with that. That and the fuzzy text in the A0 model was also often overlooked.

I know both issues are fixed. The point being more that there are some horrible monitor reviews out there so be on the watch for that. Fortunatly I think the main issues seem to be solved, horizontal banding is and I believe A3 basically solves vertical banding too (which wasnt fixed in A1 and A2 in the gradient test I saw).

But yeah, I was going to buy this monitor for the longest time, since Nov last year but I'm currently waiting for the Benq241W. All round it seems a better display, ablite at a higher cost.

I just purchased this monitor also, ?530 (Including Delivery) From a Dell Partner on eBay. Wasn't sure if it would suit my needs at first, having such a High response time, compared with alot of monitors now-a-days, but; seems to play all of my games fine, with no ghosting problems what-so-ever. Not to mention, how good it is to watch HD when i rigged my HD Sky Box upto it;)) I dont think there's many monitors of this size that are cheaper than this 1, and you cant really do wrong with such a good brand as Dell, the 3-year warranty might come in useful also...

i say: 8.5/10 - And that's only because, i've had this monitor for a week now, and i still can't get the card reader to work...:((

Any Idea's ppl?:DD

My Baby: http://jacomputers.net/ma2407wfp.jpg

I tired that a few days ago, but still no luck, the usb ports on it work fine, but i just cant get either of the card readers working. All i can think of is, there must be some drivers im missing, but according to Dell's website, they should install automatically since im using xp, and the only drivers they have listed are for the actual monitor.

Also, just notcied, for some reason video's seem to play dark when using the dvi connection. But when i restart my computer, everything's ok for a while. Any idea's?

Thanks..

i got mine this week- ao2 revision made in czech republic. no problems at all.. gorgeous screen @ 1920 res. :D got a x1950xtx along with it to enjoy games at 1920res. lovely :D

the card reader just works-as the guy has said use the usb cable - it it aint working then it be be faulty. BUT if u got a screen with no faults then do you want to risk it to be changed for one that may have dead pixels?

btw all models from major retailers in the UK are only shipping AO2 rev models- I can see no banding whatsoever.. and no ghosting at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine as a replacement for my 2007 as a sorry for my issues since dec 05. Working great need to try some games though :) Mines an A03.

• 1 month later...

hey im looking at getting one of these from ebay for about ?520 also but just one question will a ATI X1600 Pro 256mb display 1920x1200 i really hope it does. Great review.

hey im looking at getting one of these from ebay for about ?520 also but just one question will a ATI X1600 Pro 256mb display 1920x1200 i really hope it does. Great review.

Hey there. I am having mixed feelings on this monitor and i think i will wait until next year for something else to come out. It just has too many issues such as the banding which people keep moaning about. I really like the new BenQ one but its out of my reach for now, prices should go down in january and new models will come out also.

I'm on my 2nd replacement since writing this review.

So in total I have had three monitors from Dell, and all of them suffer the same problem which is every so often I will get blue and yellow flickering pixels (which appear in horizontal lines). My current monitor doesn't suffer from this as often as the previous two, and it can be resolved my turning the monitor off and on again and generally only crops up when the computer is first turned on.

I'm currently on the latest A03 revision, and banding seems to be fixed (unofficially) in the desktop mode.

Other than the fact that I've had to return two monitors and the third still suffers an occasional problem which can be quickly remedied, this monitor is still by far the best I've had!

I'm thinking about buying either this (Dell 24 inch Widescreen) or the Gateway 22 inch Widescreen HD LCD. After reading these posts about the issues with the Dell, I'm leaning toward the Gateway. Smart buy? I'd like to play my Xbox 360 in high def on the monitor, and it seems the Gateway is the best for that. It even supports 1080p resolution! I'm also buying a Dell XPS 410 with some modifications. Is it better to stick with the Dell if you're buying a Dell computer, or should I go with the Gateway? It looks like the better monitor to me. There's also differences with the ms time and the contrast ratio. The Gateway offers 5ms, and the Dell as you guys stated is either 16ms or 6ms. The contrast ratio is 1000:1 on the Dell, and 700:1 on the Gateway. I know 1000:1 is supposed to be better but what is more important, a lower, faster response time or a higher contrast ratio? My system will have an Intel? Core™2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB), 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs, and a 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS. Is the video card good enough for one of the monitors, playing Xbox 360 in hi def and Vista? Dell's site says it is. So which is it, Dell or Gateway? Does the Dell come with the DVI cable? Friggin' Gateway makes you buy it seperately. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

PS: I'm not bragging about my system, just trying to make sure I buy the right parts.

Dell 24 inch Widescreen LCD Flat Panel

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-4335

Gateway 22 inch Widescreen HD LCD Flat Panel HDCP

http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessorySt...odDetail?seg=hm

I'm on my 2nd replacement since writing this review.

So in total I have had three monitors from Dell, and all of them suffer the same problem which is every so often I will get blue and yellow flickering pixels (which appear in horizontal lines). My current monitor doesn't suffer from this as often as the previous two, and it can be resolved my turning the monitor off and on again and generally only crops up when the computer is first turned on.

I'm currently on the latest A03 revision, and banding seems to be fixed (unofficially) in the desktop mode.

Other than the fact that I've had to return two monitors and the third still suffers an occasional problem which can be quickly remedied, this monitor is still by far the best I've had!

Yeah i have an A02 and i get vertical banding. I just called they said they'll send me a replacement.

I've never got a replacement before, i wonder what it's like lol, and she said i have to call another number to get my old one picked up, what happens if i don't call someone to pick it up haha!

Do Gateway monitors have this banding problem as well? I ordered my system from Dell (slightly changed from what I previously posted) and now I'm trying to decide on a monitor. I'm hearing all these stories of people needing to replace their Dell monitors. Makes me think I should go with Gateway. I'm also planning to use it as a gaming monitor. They claim the Xbox 360 can be hooked up to both monitors using component inputs. One and/or both supposedly support up to 1080i. I want to play my games in high def. Which is the better monitor to buy for frequent computer use AND Xbox 360 gaming?