Dell 2407WFP Review

I received my monitor today, too. Words can't express how amazing it is! The sucker sure is bright. I turned it down to 47 and I may even have to go lower. What's a good brightness setting for those that have one? I haven't even installed it using the CD. Should I do that? Any advantages in doing so? I played my Xbox 360 on it in 1080i, and that's pretty awesome as well. I watched the trailer for "Evan Almighty" in 1080p for the first time. Wow, that's pretty sick!! Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got my Dell 24" today. It's the A03 revision.

At first the text seem a little blurry, but after I went in and tweaked around with the phase and pixel clock settings on the OSD, everything worked greaT!!!!

Highly recommended!!! Go for it!!

Would anyone mind telling me accurately the physical dimentions, specifically the depth of the screen alone? Dell.com says 7.6" in depth but I think that's rediculously deep for only a 24" monitor as there are 50" plasma televisions that are only 6" deep.

Why you may ask? I'm considering buying an Ergotron arm to support this monitor but anything deeper than 4" will put the center of gravity so far out that the arm cannot support the weight of the monitor although the arm touts a 20lb weight capacity.

It's somewhere between 3 to 4 inches.

Anyways... After having it for a while I'm kinda disappointed with this monitor but more so with Dell.

The first unit I received had major ghosting/shimmering. The replacement unit I got still same problem but it also has major banding. The banding is really only most noticable on a single colour gradients. The ghosting however sticks out like a sore thumb.

Many people complain about this problem on various other forums including the Dell forums.

(N) (N)

Edited by Rob2687

I would like this monitor, but am waiting on an hdmi version. I'd also like to have it from apple if they would lower their prices to at least be semi-competitive.

Just got mine yesterday, haven't tested anything other than the DVI interface, however, that looks absolutely stunning. This is probably the brightest monitor I've ever used; I have an older Dell E172FP next to it to run iTunes, etc. on, and the 2407 almost makes it seem like its off, I had to turn the brightness to 25% or my eyes would ache. Overall the picture quality is superb, though it will probably make me want to upgrade my video card again soon (currently have X850 XT PE) so I can run the latest stuff at max resolution.

Oh yeah, mine's the A03 version, I got it from FuturePowerPC.com. I've never dealt with them before, so I couldn't say if having the newest revision is typical of them, though the shipping certainly processed quickly... food for thought in case anyone is about ready to buy one and is leery of some of the stories of horrible experiences with ordering through Dell's site (I know I was).

• 2 months later...

I just got myself one of these for ?449 delivered, awesome screen - rev A04, brand new. Bought it via ebay, can recommend ericbunny as a good seller of these screens.

I am thinking about getting one of these. I have a 2005FPW, but I want something a little bigger, do I go for this or pay almost double the price and get the 27"?

Got mine today - Dell had an Easter sale - one item each day ?407 delivered. Rev 04 too.

Absolutely stunning, well happy with it...no problems with it at all...

Vista Dreamscapes etc look brilliant on it - games play really well.

Had a Fujitsu 19" TFT prior to this - it seems to dwarf it!

Best purchase I have made in a couple of years no doubt about it!

can you use this monitor as a tv if you can how would i go about setting it up as a tv (i am also hoping to connect my macbook and nintendo wii aswell)

ta

adam...

Yeah, these are big mofo's... :) Use one at work, and I don't think people getting them will be disappointed. :)

Sure, you won't be guaranteed to get one with an S-IPS panel (especially in Europe it seems, Dell silently ships different models and won't replace your screen if you noticed you got a panel model you didn't want), but otherwise I've heard mostly good things about them.

Anyone?

Sticker on the back of it should say A03 or A04 if its fairly new :yes:

**Ack I don't think thats what you meant... oh well it should help someone else!