Updated: Shuttle Set for Liftoff Tuesday! It's a Go!

This was the first time i have ever saw a space ship take of LIVE.

Was pretty amazing, just thinking about all the calculations and mechnical operations going on every single second is just mind boggling.

Is there a reason that to be a NASA pilot you have to be an American citizen? I know one of the crew is a British guy who was given citizenship so he could work on the project and be part of the crew but is it purely a novelty or is there more to it?

Is there a reason that to be a NASA pilot you have to be an American citizen? I know one of the crew is a British guy who was given citizenship so he could work on the project and be part of the crew but is it purely a novelty or is there more to it?

I would guess it has to do with security stuff.

I hope they stop with all those launches. They and you all have no idea of how much it's hurting the Earth and it's enviroment. We ain't even designed for space and should be allowed out there. :no:

EDIT: And I wonder how these ozone holes are formed :rolleyes: NASA covering it up by saying it's our fault for using stuff like fridges and sprays when I suspect it's really their fault for launching so many rockets penerating Earth's atmosphere creating those holes.

Edited by ozgeek

I hope they stop with all those launches. They and you all have no idea of how much it's hurting the Earth and it's enviroment. We ain't even designed for space and should be allowed out there. :no:

I don't think they hurt the Earth that much, given the infrequency of the launches. I think we harm the planet in far worse ways over a longer period of time (cars, leaving equipment on overnight for no reason, etc).

i dont see...they are things they harm the earth more then launch like leaving a car in a garage on, releasing co2 gases that can kill you

Up to six pieces of debris fell off Discovery: NASA

Jul 04 5:04 PM US/Eastern

Up to six pieces of debris that could be foam insulation fell off Discovery's troublesome external fuel tank minutes after liftoff Tuesday, a top NASA official said.

Officials cautioned, however, that it was too soon to know whether the debris struck Discovery and that the pieces came off later than would normally endanger the shuttle.

Columbia's demise in February 2003 was caused by foam insulation that peeled off 70 seconds after liftoff and struck its heat shield.

"About two minutes and 47 seconds give or take (after the Discovery launch), we saw three perhaps four pieces come off (the fuel tank)," said shuttle program manager Wayne Hale, adding that it was unclear whether it was foam or "something else."

"We also saw another piece or two come off at about four minutes 50 seconds," he told reporters at the Kennedy Space Center.

He cautioned, however, that it was "very raw, preliminary data" and would have another report later Tuesday.

But Hale said the debris came off the fuel tank later than officials fear it could damage the shuttle's heat shield.

EDIT: And I wonder how these ozone holes are formed :rolleyes: NASA covering it up by saying it's our fault for using stuff like fridges and sprays when I suspect it's really their fault for launching so many rockets penerating Earth's atmosphere creating those holes.

The main rockets run on Hydrogen don't they? :blink:

Watched it live on NASA Tv yesterday...great coverage...just watched 'cockpit cam' of take off on NASA TV - it looked fooking superb!!

Bit cramped in there though lol...couldnt believe it...less than eight minutes in; and there they are unstrapping, unseating and out with their digital cameras taking photos of the shuttle and all that stuff....fantastic viewing...

CeNo.

The main rockets run on Hydrogen don't they? :blink:

The main rocket puts out water vapor. I don't know what the 2 chemical booster rockets put out. :huh:

"NASA has successfully tested an alternative rocket fuel that may increase operational safety and reduce costs over current solid fuels. The new paraffin-based fuel could eventually be used in Space Shuttle booster rockets.

Two years of collaboration between Stanford University, Palo Alto, Calif., and NASA's Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif., have led to the development of a non-toxic, easily handled fuel made from a substance similar to what is used in common candles. The by-products of combustion of the new fuel are carbon dioxide and water; unlike conventional rocket fuel that produces aluminum oxide and acidic gasses, such as hydrogen chloride."

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/rele...03_04AR_prt.htm

Where can I see the video ?
Launch video here:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/sts-121_front/index.html

Edited by Hum

im not saying leaving your pc on over night and cars arent harming the earth but at the same time it is going to happen eventually... the earth runs in cycles...what we are seeing is one of these cycles but increased by humans...you can blame humans as much as you want but this stuff was gonna happen anyway... strangley enough i think agent smith in the first matrix sums up the human race pretty good...( not his exact words here) we are a cancer to this earth we multiply and spread consuming everything...this change is earths way of saying you know what...you wanna F$%k with me...see how much you like this

back on topic...i dont think i have ever watched one of the launches...shame i didnt get to see it live but the video was still awesome

Thursday at 10am, they will land on the international space shuttle

THERE COMPUTERS ARE RUNNING A NON-SKINNED WINDOWS XP :o...thats werid

This is the first time I have seen a shuttle launch :D, apart from the short clips the news people show after the initial launch. It was amazing :D

Shof, lol, The one screen I saw had a flattend globe and was tracking a satelite and the shuttle, it was luna skinned :p